ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Monster Cable--really??  (Read 25909 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Monster Cable--really??
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 03:19:15 PM »

In fairness, is the arrow really any different than marking parallel jacks on speakers, "in" and "out" as I have seen many times from different manufacturers?
Steve Swaffer

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »

In fairness, is the arrow really any different than marking parallel jacks on speakers, "in" and "out" as I have seen many times from different manufacturers?

An "in" and "out" 1/4" jack on passive speakers could be two different current handling jacks. Since the input is carrying 2x the current as the output jack. At Peavey we had a dual-tip contact high current 1/4" jack and then normal single tip jacks. I could hypothetically imagine using a high current jack for the input side and lower current on the output side, while I concede this is a stretch. I'd use the high current jack for both.

Another subtle difference inside the loudspeaker there is a wire or PCB trace between the two jacks, and then the speaker connects to one jack or the other. Labeling one jack the input, and connecting the internal speaker load to that jack, reduces the current flowing in the wire link feeding the output jack.

So there can be actual differences. It will still work if you plug it up backwards, but the internal link wire is carrying 2x the current. 

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 12:09:15 AM »

That's so somebody doesn't connect two amplifiers to the parallel jacks.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 01:22:08 AM »

That's so somebody doesn't connect two amplifiers to the parallel jacks.
With the aforementioned instrument cable. (Maybe they'd at least get the arrows in the right direction.)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
More Snake-Oil Sales Tactics
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 01:42:46 PM »

Two quick examples of snake-oil salesmanship from decades past:

1. "Digital-ready" home speaker cables in the '80's.

2.  For many years, Radio Shack sold spray cans of "TV Tuner Cleaner" for something like $3.99, but for a few bucks more you could buy "COLOR TV Tuner Cleaner".
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: More Snake-Oil Sales Tactics
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 01:57:13 PM »

Two quick examples of snake-oil salesmanship from decades past:

1. "Digital-ready" home speaker cables in the '80's.

2.  For many years, Radio Shack sold spray cans of "TV Tuner Cleaner" for something like $3.99, but for a few bucks more you could buy "COLOR TV Tuner Cleaner".

Just like spam, they wouldn't try to sell this crap if idiots didn't buy it.

JR

PS: Speaking of spam... any financial aide to the Ukraine should be linked to policing the web hackers there. That could almost pay for itself.   
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »

once upon a time i went looking for some rca plugs. Radio Shack didnt hav what i wanted so i stopped at the local "audiophile" store. the guy had the regular kind and also the special super contact type. the guy showed me the "super contact" type and the sleave that you slide over the round ground contact part that really clamps down and makes a great connection. i said thats all fine and good but theres nothing that spreads the hot pin out. i told him it worthless. i also told him if the company that made that had a center pin spreader it would probably spread the hot jack hole. (important note > the words "hot jack hole" are ment to describe the rca jack hole that the hot pin goes in and in no way is ment to describe other things that you might dream up.) the salesman understood what i was refering to. i bough the "regular" rca plugs. it would be nice to be able to find good quility all metal rca pulgs like those. all i see now either have a plastic cover or all metal ones with a thin flimsey ground thingy to solder the ground wire to. unless you have bought thousands of dollars of MIT music hose you have not ben hosed. www.mitcables.com 

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 10:45:50 PM »

it would probably spread the hot jack hole. (important note > the words "hot jack hole" are meant to describe the rca jack hole that the hot pin goes in and in no way is meant to describe other things that you might dream up.

Too late...  ;D

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 12:30:59 AM »

Try reversing the guitar cord and "see".  Dunno if 12' is long enough to hear a difference, but a 20 is, though still subtle.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 03:35:17 AM »

Try reversing the guitar cord and "see".  Dunno if 12' is long enough to hear a difference, but a 20 is, though still subtle.
maybe its a shielded 2 conductor with shield connected at one end.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 03:35:17 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 25 queries.