ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Monster Cable--really??  (Read 25912 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Monster Cable--really??
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2014, 03:48:24 AM »

maybe its a shielded 2 conductor with shield connected at one end.

It will still sound the same the wrong way round - whatever wrong is!

Steve.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2014, 05:04:26 AM »

The car audio guys have equally nonsensical things... such as the gold plated battery connectors.  Perfect for connecting to lead battery terminals!

Steve.

That's to prevent corrosion of the brass terminals they use. They need to use brass rather than lead so that the screw threads have some strength. That and its under the hood, never seen a gear head plate a precious metal to an engine part to dress up the engine bay before?

Steve M Smith

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2014, 06:14:20 AM »

That's to prevent corrosion of the brass terminals they use. They need to use brass rather than lead so that the screw threads have some strength.

Cars seem to manage to draw enough current from the battery to run a starter motor using lead terminals so I'm sure that's enough for car audio.  Although with some of the claims some car audio guys have for their output power, on a 12v system, it would draw more than a starter motor!

In the UK electronics store I saw the gold plated terminals sold, they were advertised as an improvement to sound quality.

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2014, 10:31:13 AM »

It will still sound the same the wrong way round - whatever wrong is!

Steve.
Um no..... Imagine a worst case scenario phono cable attached between a phono cart and phono preamp but with the shield connected only on the cartridge end. The full noise current collected by the shield then gets dumped into the cartridge ground that then flows back through the signal ground conductor, corrupting the signal ground far worse than plugged up the alternate way.

Note: I am not defending the purveyors of such spoo, just pointing out that their may be a sliver of actual scientific basis behind some of them. Often this sliver of science does not justify the cost, and as often as not they use bogus science.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »

However, if it were a guitar cable, which end would you want the shield connected?  The source or the input?

Logic makes me think it should be the input... then I think it should be the guitar... then the input again!

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2014, 01:06:46 PM »

However, if it were a guitar cable, which end would you want the shield connected?  The source or the input?

Logic makes me think it should be the input... then I think it should be the guitar... then the input again!

Steve.
I would want the shield grounded at the amp input, so noise current can be dumped into the chassis ground that should be bonded to the wall.

If the shield dumps noise current into the guitar, it's only path to earth is through the the signal ground lead back to the amp, corrupting the signal integrity. 

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2014, 02:23:01 PM »

Input it is!

Steve.

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2014, 12:41:38 PM »

Story from the producer of a Grammy-winning guitarist (who I won't name, but he is famous for being nit-picky about his "Tones"):
For today's tracking session, Famous Guitarist (FG) spends much of the day attaching pedals to a piece of plywood (screws & velcro); not happy with resulting tone. FG fiddles with changing out batteries, swapping patch cord directions, etc. Still not happy. Finally, FG removes everything from the board and turns the plywood around 180 degrees, then rebuilds all. Now he's happy and the session goes on.
Said the producer, "You just don't argue with success."
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 01:11:46 PM »

Story from the producer of a Grammy-winning guitarist (who I won't name, but he is famous for being nit-picky about his "Tones"):
For today's tracking session, Famous Guitarist (FG) spends much of the day attaching pedals to a piece of plywood (screws & velcro); not happy with resulting tone. FG fiddles with changing out batteries, swapping patch cord directions, etc. Still not happy. Finally, FG removes everything from the board and turns the plywood around 180 degrees, then rebuilds all. Now he's happy and the session goes on.
Said the producer, "You just don't argue with success."

You just don't argue with folks that have audio hallucinations and think they hear shit that plainly isn't there.  It's like trying to teach a pig to sing - it's a complete waste of time and very annoying to the pig.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »

Guitarist Eric Johnson suggests that different makes of battery in his effects can alter the tone and he claims that he can tell the difference in tone between a lead with plain brass plugs and one with nickel plated plugs.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.