ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minor vehicle accident  (Read 10647 times)

Taylor Hall

Re: Minor vehicle accident
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 02:46:03 PM »

They aren't. I did some research on diesel cars several years ago with the same thought in mind and found that you'd save a whopping $45 a year in fuel costs by using a high-efficiency diesel over a standard gas car. Even with modern diesels touting 45mpg+ the much higher cost of diesel over here (sometimes as much as $0.50 more per gallon than premium gas) makes it basically a wash at the pump.

That wasn't even taking into account the purchase price of the vehicle, either.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 08:58:45 PM »

Follow up to this thread:

I just bought a 2006 Ford Focus that has 20k miles on it, looks and smells new inside and out. Been in a garage all of its life. Found it on CL and bought it from an elderly couple in Tyler.

Thanks for all the help,
Tommy

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Taylor Hall

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »

Good to see you're back on the road. Those are great little cars and so long as you keep up with regular maintenance will easily last you few hundred thousand miles.
1) Do it right

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
In Defense of Diesels
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 10:33:54 PM »

I did some research on diesel cars several years ago with the same thought in mind and found that you'd save a whopping $45 a year in fuel costs by using a high-efficiency diesel over a standard gas car. Even with modern diesels touting 45mpg+ the much higher cost of diesel over here (sometimes as much as $0.50 more per gallon than premium gas) makes it basically a wash at the pump.

My numbers crunched differently.  I needed a sedan for my 170-mile round trip day-job commute, and it had to be roomy enough for carpooling.  Even if diesel were a dollar more than gas I'm still coming out ahead with my Passat TDI - 50+ MPG, vs. maybe 30 (on Premium) with the VR-6 or Turbo 4, plus I doubt either gas engine would've racked up the 386K+ miles mine has. Then there's the incredible range, up to 1000 miles per tankful (50 MPG x 75 liter/20 gallon tank), and the safety factor (diesel cars aren't apt to burst into flames when they get rear-ended hard enough to rupture the tank).

Many (not all) new diesels require urea fluid to meet particulate standards.  Otherwise, diesels require less maintenance.  No tuneups, no plugs; oil changes (Rotella synthetic) every 10K miles.  I've replaced the timing belt and tensioner every 60K miles (around $500), with a new water pump every other timing belt change (add another $80 or so).  When/if my Passat ever dies, it'll almost certainly be replaced by another diesel. Not necessarily a VW; I'm tempted by the new Mazda diesel.

OP: Good choice on the Focus.  It'd be at the top of my list for gas cars, and you've snagged an extra-nice one.  If only Ford sold the diesel version here that Europeans can buy...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:20:49 AM by Russ Davis »
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 12:39:27 AM »

I've replaced the timing belt and tensioner every 60K miles (around $500), with a new water pump every other timing belt change (add another $80 or so).

Ouch...... Timing belts are such a rip off; IMO chains or gears should be the only timing mechanism used. I'm pretty sure my Focus has a chain so about the only maintenance outside of fluid changes it'll need are spark plugs every 100,000 miles and maybe a clutch at some point.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 01:29:53 AM »

They aren't. I did some research on diesel cars several years ago with the same thought in mind and found that you'd save a whopping $45 a year in fuel costs by using a high-efficiency diesel over a standard gas car. Even with modern diesels touting 45mpg+ the much higher cost of diesel over here (sometimes as much as $0.50 more per gallon than premium gas) makes it basically a wash at the pump.

That wasn't even taking into account the purchase price of the vehicle, either.

I just ran the numbers on a new diesel Ram vs my 05 Ram Hemi. I would save $100 per month on fuel even with the regular gas vs diesel prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Taylor Hall

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »

That's a bit of an apples to oranges. Tow vehicles (and other large commercial trucks) obviously benefit by going diesel due to the increase in power vs fuel economy you get. Typically you'll see about a 20% increase in fuel economy in that segment vs passenger cars where the fuel economy is nearly equal.

A friend and I towed a Ford Falcon shell from a barn several hours away in his F350 and we averaged 22mpg. He also had a bullydog and upgraded downpipe and exhaust, but really anyone serious about towing should do those mods and reap the benefits.

Not saying diesel can't be more economic than gas, but it's not a globally economic alternative.
1) Do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.