ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cable ramp question  (Read 2147 times)

Ted Christensen

cable ramp question
« on: April 03, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »

I know yellow jacket..defender series stuff..etc..are all good ramps for protecting cables but the wells/channels and covered bottoms seems like a good collection point for rain on gigs as well as maybe overkill for just pedestrian traffic. Or am I wrong?

Just wondering how those compare to a cable ramp with an open face bottom that lays over the cables instead of a channel for pedestrian traffic.

Thanks!

Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: cable ramp question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:31:23 PM »

I know yellow jacket..defender series stuff..etc..are all good ramps for protecting cables but the wells/channels and covered bottoms seems like a good collection point for rain on gigs as well as maybe overkill for just pedestrian traffic. Or am I wrong?

Just wondering how those compare to a cable ramp with an open face bottom that lays over the cables instead of a channel for pedestrian traffic.
Ted, I have 153' of Checkers GuardDog 5-channel cable ramps, plus some 45° turns, a 4-way cross, and some end caps. I generally don't have problems with rain collecting inside of the units. Dirt/mud is worse, in my experience. But, all of that is also going to depend on where in the world you are in the first place. I'm in the PNW, so a bit of rain is nothing for us. :D

Overkill? Maybe. I'd rather have too much protection, though, then not enough. I find that the flip-up lid units are easier to load and change, as opposed to the drop-overs. Drop-overs, if you need to add another cable, you might spend twice as much time dinking around with cables that go all screwy when bothered again.

The decision maker for me? I went with what "the big houses" in the area use, for ease of cross-rentals. I got my logo molded in to their lids, so I can identify mine easily. 5-Channel units are idea, for using 5-wire cams in them. One cam per channel, easy. I keep my cams separate, though, not bundled.

Most of my inventory is the standard height units, which generally aren't a problem for pedestrians. I do have 5 units (15') of the "low profile" version, for areas that might be served better, sidewalks, courtyards, etc, where there might be people coming through with strollers, bicycles, etc, and would prefer the lower profile.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 12:07:10 AM »

Thanks!
We use the Checkers FL1X4 dropover ramps for light duty and indoor stuff. They are a LOT easier to manage than the heavy duty 5 channel units, but, like Ray said, it can be a pain to change things after the initial layout.

They are great for doorways and walkways, which are generally short runs anyway.  I absolutely recommend them for light duty stuff, but they are not a substitute for the heavy duty units if you need snake protection from vehicle traffic, unless you don't love your snake...

One disadvantage to the open bottom units is that, if the cable height is even minimally higher than the channel height of the ramp, the ramp will tend to roll with the cable, creating an unstable passage that is more dangerous than the cable without the ramp. You just have to make sure your cables lay flat and if there are multiple cables, that they aren't wrapped around each other.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 12:07:10 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.