ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crackling- Popping Sound. Mic or Mixer!  (Read 7495 times)

Rob Swain

Crackling- Popping Sound. Mic or Mixer!
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:03:33 PM »

We have a 2 Mic input sound setup. One Lector Mic at the Podium and a Shure PGX4 with Bodypack & Lavalier. Problem has just started in the last couple of weeks, when the Pastor starts to speak at the beginning of the service, his lavalier Mic will start crackling (LOUD), ( only word I can think to describe it). This only happens for a few seconds, and so far thats the only time through the Service(s). Mics are plugged into a small Alto passive Mixer, and separate AMP. We also have a AUX line running to a Mixer in the Loft, which we run through the monitors, we had to turn that down, but we have noticed that the Clipping light on that channel is active through the service, but not affecting the sound in the sanctuary. I have check all control levels, they are where they should be. So not sure if its the Mixer or PGX4, which is only 3 years old compared to the Mixer, 8 years. Wondering if it could be the batteries in the Bodypack, they are rechargeable and about 1 year old. First thought would be to change them and try setting the PGX4 to another channel for starters. Any thoughts??    :-\   

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Crackling- Popping Sound. Mic or Mixer!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:02:49 AM »

Don't rule out that it could be a bad mic cable too.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 11:47:46 AM »

Don't rule out that it could be a bad mic cable too.

JR

Indeed.

And in dry winter weather you'll sometimes get a build-up of static electricity which can cause system noise, especially if there's synthetic carpeting on the floor.  Keep a small spray can of "Static Guard" and spritz the shoes of the speaker as well as  any clothing which is under any robes.  Friction between the fabrics of the person wearing the wireless mic and any robes can also cause a build-up of static electricity.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rob Swain

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »

Well, it happened again this morning. Tried new batteries, and another channel on the Mixer. I have tested the Mic cable, its good. Like I mentioned, this will only happen once during the Service, and at the beginning. Static, maybe, too weird! Thinking of changing the frequency of the unit, I didn't have the time this morning, I would have had to stay for the second Service!!As usual, thanks for your Help!   

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 03:07:33 PM »

Well, it happened again this morning. Tried new batteries, and another channel on the Mixer. I have tested the Mic cable, its good. Like I mentioned, this will only happen once during the Service, and at the beginning. Static, maybe, too weird! Thinking of changing the frequency of the unit, I didn't have the time this morning, I would have had to stay for the second Service!!As usual, thanks for your Help!   

Rob...

In addition to using Static Guard on the speakers clothing, I've had to add chassis ground wires to every piece of gear at FOH and drain off the buildup of static electricity to a known good grounding point.  If it's only happening at the beginning and it has come on in the winter weather, that's a good sign that it's simply a static charge buildup.

Do whatever you can to drain it off to ground.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rob Swain

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »

Rob...

In addition to using Static Guard on the speakers clothing, I've had to add chassis ground wires to every piece of gear at FOH and drain off the buildup of static electricity to a known good grounding point.  If it's only happening at the beginning and it has come on in the winter weather, that's a good sign that it's simply a static charge buildup.

Do whatever you can to drain it off to ground.

Thanks Dick, sounds good!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.