ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality Portable Rack Cases?  (Read 6740 times)

Thomas Le

Re: Quality Portable Rack Cases?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »

I'd be tempted to condense that to a single 6U rack - that would save you a bunch of interconnecting cables between the drive rack and the amps, and if you need external power distribution, you could do that with quad-outlet boxes on stage, or something like that.

Unless OP wants to run short speaker cables, then I guess he wants the amps next to the speakers. I assumed OP would want a case for the amps to put next to the cabs and a separate case for the DR260 where the console is.

Another possibility.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »

Unless OP wants to run short speaker cables, then I guess he wants the amps next to the speakers. I assumed OP would want a case for the amps to put next to the cabs and a separate case for the DR260 where the console is.

Another possibility.
If the subs and mains are anywhere close to each other, I don't see how the speaker runs would be any shorter if the amps were in separate racks.  There's room for personal preference in wanting the DSP at the board, I guess, but if you're using it as intended, it should really be a set and forget thing, and shouldn't be a problem to have on stage.

Michael Kim

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 10:52:16 AM »

I'll paint a fuller picture to help paint a picture:

We meet in a school auditorium, with a fairly high stage (4 feet of the ground). The school has their own sound system, but as renters, we don't have access to it (or the power that supplies it). We're left with two circuits, one 20amp on stage and one 15amp at the front of the stage. The two spots are roughly 15-20 feet from each other. We usually place the snake near the first amp.

I'd like to keep the two amps on separate circuits, hence the two separate cases. Also, one 6-rack case would be a beast to lift onto the stage (staircases abound), and running power from the front of the stage up to the main rack and then running a speaker wire back down seems less than ideal.

If I was keeping everything together, I would probably go ahead and put the driverack along with it, but since I'll be running XLR's from the snake to both power amp locations anyways, I figure I might as well keep it by the mixing console.

As silly as it seems to have 2U racks with casters, 60 pounds (amp+case) is no fun to move week in and week out. Even using a dolly means we have to move it around on stage. This is part of the reason I wanted a case with a handle, so the racks would be easily transportable, luggage style, but maybe I can use the racks as makeshift dollies instead...

If the subs and mains are anywhere close to each other, I don't see how the speaker runs would be any shorter if the amps were in separate racks.  There's room for personal preference in wanting the DSP at the board, I guess, but if you're using it as intended, it should really be a set and forget thing, and shouldn't be a problem to have on stage.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 10:11:05 PM »

Audiopile sells the wheels separate I am sure you could just drill some holes and mount them. A friend of mine bought one of their cases, he is very pleased with the quality and price he paid for them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 10:11:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.