ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Line Level Output ?  (Read 10269 times)

John Soltys

Line Level Output ?
« on: March 19, 2014, 10:40:28 AM »

Hello,

I have a question about line level output from an http://alesis.com/samplepad, and I can not find the answer.

The problem is when I connect the sampler to the mixing board the level is very low and I have to turn the gain up to 5 O'clock, and the fader is also almost fully up. I have tried different ways to connect it , using a DI box , using a different channel, using the headphone output on the sampler same results. Because of other issues this is the 3 sampler we went through, so I don't think it is faulty. We have played a number of venues with experience sound engineers and they also have the same problem. One did mentioned getting a line level pre-amp.
    I have been trying to find out what the line level voltage and Ohms of this sampler is ( If these are even the correct terms ) I would guess it is -10 Dbu., the website does not have this info. I don't know if that would even help.
    The mixer is a Macki Pro FX 16, I have been using the line level input, on the standard mono channel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    John
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:16:06 PM by John Soltys »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Line Level Output ?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »

Hello,

I have a question about line level output from an http://alesis.com/samplepa, and I can not find the answer.

The problem is when I connect the sampler to the mixing board the level is very low and I have to turn the gain up to 5 O'clock, and the fader is also almost fully up. I have tried different ways to connect it , using a DI box , using a different channel, using the headphone output on the sampler same results. Because of other issues this is the 3 sampler we went through, so I don't think it is faulty. We have played a number of venues with experience sound engineers and they also have the same problem. One did mentioned getting a line level pre-amp.
    I have been trying to find out what the line level voltage and Ohms of this sampler is ( If these are even the correct terms ) I would guess it is -10 Dbu., the website does not have this info. I don't know if that would even help.
    The mixer is a Macki Pro FX 16, I have been using the line level input, on the standard mono channel.

Thanks
    John
Per forum rules, you must change your user name to be your full real name.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »

Generally:

10 dBV for consumer equipment (0.316 V RMS)
+4 dBu for professional equipment (1.23 V RMS)

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »

What did Alesis say?

The Alesis web site is zero fucking help, but I'd bet that this is a -10dB output, that should still be enough to drive a line input without extreme headamp gain.  I suspect you have a cabling issue or a defective unit.

Also your product link does not work.

Hello,

I have a question about line level output from an http://alesis.com/samplepa, and I can not find the answer.

Thanks
    John
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Soltys

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 12:19:28 PM »

What did Alesis say?

The Alesis web site is zero fucking help, but I'd bet that this is a -10dB output, that should still be enough to drive a line input without extreme headamp gain.  I suspect you have a cabling issue or a defective unit.

Also your product link does not work.

Thanks, I fixed the link. I am still waiting a response.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 12:34:37 PM »

Are you using just the "L/MONO" output on the SamplePad or are you doing something like 'Y'ing the "L" and "R" out on the SamplePad into one input on the mixer?  The latter could result in the mixer seeing only the difference between the two channels and thus getting very little signal.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 03:32:32 PM »

Hello,

I have a question about line level output from an http://alesis.com/samplepad, and I can not find the answer.

Thanks
    John

I've experienced the same issue with my Mackie Pro FX 12.  Any channel on the Mackie with an XLR input won't work for low-level output devices.  Try the Alesis unit in the RCA inputs of your board, or in the phono inputs of the stereo channels on the board (the stereo inputs should be w/out XLRs).  It should work in either one of those inputs.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »

I've experienced the same issue with my Mackie Pro FX 12.  Any channel on the Mackie with an XLR input won't work for low-level output devices.

Is there a particular reason you say this? The XLR inputs have 20dB more gain than any of the other inputs.

Mac

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »

Is there a particular reason you say this? The XLR inputs have 20dB more gain than any of the other inputs.

Mac

It's my experience with those boards and trying to get volume out of low-level devices.  Looks like the OP is using 1/4" outs on the Alesis - and from experience, those don't work much at all with the 1/4" inputs on the mono channels (for the Mackies - not sure about other boards).  The "volume" issue was remedied by using the stereo inputs on the board.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 09:08:52 PM »

It's my experience with those boards and trying to get volume out of low-level devices.  Looks like the OP is using 1/4" outs on the Alesis - and from experience, those don't work much at all with the 1/4" inputs on the mono channels (for the Mackies - not sure about other boards).  The "volume" issue was remedied by using the stereo inputs on the board.

My question wasn't about the 1/4" ins. The SLR ins have 20dB more gain available than any (and all) the other inputs on the console, which are all the same gain.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 09:08:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.