ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Line Level Output ?  (Read 10272 times)

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Re: Line Level Output ?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 09:21:09 PM »

My question wasn't about the 1/4" ins. The SLR ins have 20dB more gain available than any (and all) the other inputs on the console, which are all the same gain.

Mac

I don't doubt you.  If you have access to a Mackie Pro FX board, connect a low level output device to any of the 1/4" inputs on the mono channels.  It barely works... but move the low level device over to a stereo channel and it works exponentially better.

duane massey

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 09:37:23 PM »

Many, many keyboards have weak outputs. I basically had to get past my uneasiness in regards to the input gain settings and just turn up the channel gain until I had enough signal thru the mixer. The challenge with using a 1/4" unbalanced cable to XLR for me concerns phantom power. If your mixer only has global phantom and you need to use it it can cause problems with some keyboards (if not all?). Ah, the joys of real-world audio.....
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Craig Hamilton

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 11:48:48 PM »

I don't doubt you.  If you have access to a Mackie Pro FX board, connect a low level output device to any of the 1/4" inputs on the mono channels.  It barely works... but move the low level device over to a stereo channel and it works exponentially better.

I believe the adjustable gain has a greater range on the mono 1/4" versus the stereo channels.

John Soltys

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 10:10:07 AM »

I will not pretend to know much about this. I was looking at the block diagram for the Mackie Pro-FX and it seems that the stereo inputs do have a different input levels and gain structure ( if that is the right term )
Thanks for your help with this.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »

According to that diagram, using the stereo inputs would give you 10db LESS gain available on the line inputs.

If the output isn't strong enough from the unit, using a 1/4" to XLR adaptor will give you access to 20db more gain.  As long as the audio is clean, this should solve your problem.
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 04:35:13 PM »

I will not pretend to know much about this. I was looking at the block diagram for the Mackie Pro-FX and it seems that the stereo inputs do have a different input levels and gain structure ( if that is the right term )
Thanks for your help with this.

I'm going to play my Dick Rees card:  you have a fucked up cable or connection.  There is no other technical reason that this device can drive mixers at sufficient level but not when using your cabling and accessories.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »

I'm going to play my Dick Rees card:

Tim...

Dick Rees card licenses can be purchased at my iToldUSo shop.  Please contact me to make arrangements.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »

Tim...

Dick Rees card licenses can be purchased at my iToldUSo shop.  Please contact me to make arrangements.
Awww, come on, tell us what we want to hear... :-p
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 05:35:15 PM »

According to that diagram, using the stereo inputs would give you 10db LESS gain available on the line inputs.

If the output isn't strong enough from the unit, using a 1/4" to XLR adaptor will give you access to 20db more gain.  As long as the audio is clean, this should solve your problem.

As Duane said previously, a TS to XLR cable may create a new, more serious (permanent) problem if global phantom power is turned on.  Or not.  Perhaps a 1:1 transformer would be safer, albeit more expensive. 

You could test with a 1/4 TS to XLR adaptor with phantom off to see if you solve the gain problem, if so look at a transformer or some other way to stop the phantom from going into the output of your keyboard.
Mark McFarlane

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »

As Duane said previously, a TS to XLR cable may create a new, more serious (permanent) problem if global phantom power is turned on.  Or not.  Perhaps a 1:1 transformer would be safer, albeit more expensive. 

Or a 10uF capacitor. Even cheaper.

Steve,

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.