ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide Shallow Room for Rock Shows... PA Install?  (Read 7164 times)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Wide Shallow Room for Rock Shows... PA Install?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 08:57:47 AM »

lets say the stage is 24ft wide, the room is 75ft wide, 35ft deep.
there is only about 13ft of vertical space, and really only 3ft before you're in sight lines.
So the speakers apparently have to be between 10' A.F.F. and 13' A.F.F., which when you add in their being aimed down toward the audience and any rigging would seem to limit the height of box that can be used and possibly require a horizontal format box.

Between that height and an audience area that is apparently over twice as wide as it is deep, you seem likely to be hard pressed to get good coverage from just a single left and right array location.  Would you consider other alternatives such as a mono system with multiple speakers each covering a defined listener area?

Are the subs also going to be flown or are they being ground stacked somewhere?

When I say legit array, I mean any hang of substantial length, since there's only about 3ft of vertical space that can be realistically used.
So you apprently meant "line array" rather than "legit array" as horizontal arrays of 'point source' boxes are certainly a legitimate approach for situations like yours.

There is a budget, but it's not really relevant, as I'd just like some ideas for systems that you guys may suggest for a wide shallow space, WITHOUT budget in mind.
If there is a budget then that is typically a major system design factor.  You don't have to give a specific number but offering at least some idea of the budget may help keep people from investing their time developing and presenting ideas that are not feasible due to a budget that was known but not shared.  Perhaps it is as simple as verifying if the d&b Q series and L-Acoustics ARCS II mentioned are wishful thinking or realistic options within the budget.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:38:59 AM »

At most 40ft of coverage depth required...about 30ft coverage required horizontally out from the downstage edge of the stage.  Not enough vertical space for a legit array, nor do I really think it makes sense, unless someone can explain to me otherwise...

Looking at D&B Q10 pair per side, or L Arc II 3 per side...

SB28s, or similar...

Looking for something that can put on a 'full on rock show.'

Suggestions?

Buddy Guy's in Chicago is similar.   Wide stage, wide room, short throw, coverage required on sides of stage.

They went with PS-15s hung across the front of the stage. I'll guess it's a mono mix. The PS-15s appear to be spaced so that coverage patterns converge properly (disclaimer: I have not heard it, just seen it).   The asymmetric HF device could be an advantage here.

PS-15s on the outside service those areas. 

You'll likely use the PA to fill in what can't compete with loud amps and drums.

Q10 is a perfectly good choice.  Model it to make sure you don't have coverage holes up close.  You may need something to fill in the corners, as well. 

On a budget, EV QRX 212 is available in a horizontal format, and has an asymmetric HF, although different from the PS series.  Horizontal 212 has HF in the center BTW.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

John durisko

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »

Martin audio makes a H3H+ that is a 70°H x 40°V horizontal format 15" design. Sounds like four of these and S218 subs would fit most, if not all of your requirements.

http://www.martin-audio.com/products/H3H+.asp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.