ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Subwoofer is the best in your opinion?

Yorkville LS801P
- 12 (31.6%)
QSC KW181
- 13 (34.2%)
JBL PRX718XLF
- 13 (34.2%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Too many Subwoofers!  (Read 20387 times)

Leo Martin

Too many Subwoofers!
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:15:21 AM »

Hi,
I am struggling to pick a powered subwoofer for DJ gigs. I am currently looking at a few models, if anyone has any experience with any of them and could share your experience, it would be appreciated.

1. Yorkville LS801P
2. QSC KW181
3. 2X Yamaha DXS15
4. JBL PRX718 XLF

I use Alto TS115As for top cabs. I am looking for a sub that can play heavy dance music and I want it to be loud enough that it could handle a pretty large space with only one.

Thanks,
Leo
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:57:15 AM by Leo Martin »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Too many Subwoofers!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:45:55 AM »

Hi,
I am struggling to pick a powered subwoofer for DJ gigs. I am currently looking at a few models, if anyone has any experience with any of them and could share your experience, it would be appreciated.

1. Yorkville LS801P
2. QSC KW181
3. 2X Yamaha DXS15
4. JBL PRX718 XLF
5. Presonus studiolive 18sAI

I use Alto TS115As for top cabs. I am looking for a sub that can play heavy dance music and I want it to be loud enough that it could handle a pretty large space with only one.

Thanks,
Leo
What's a pretty large space?  If it's anything like I would describe as a large space, a single sub of any kind isn't going to be enough.

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:35:21 AM »

What's a pretty large space?  If it's anything like I would describe as a large space, a single sub of any kind isn't going to be enough.

I have experience with the QSC KW181's and have been pleased with their performance; typically however, I use two. I'd suggest you attempt to rent one of these with the agreement that your rental costs would be applied to the purchase price should you decide to go that route.

Leo Martin

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:55:19 AM »

The largest gig I know I run is for a dance in a church, probably a solid 1000 sq ft. Also, in the future I will buy more for bigger gigs.

Leo Martin

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 11:56:56 AM »

I have experience with the QSC KW181's and have been pleased with their performance; typically however, I use two. I'd suggest you attempt to rent one of these with the agreement that your rental costs would be applied to the purchase price should you decide to go that route.
I am looking at the QSC heavily now, sounds like a solid unit that isn't too big but hits really hard. I can also get it cheaper than the York and PreSounus.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 12:01:50 PM »

The largest gig I know I run is for a dance in a church, probably a solid 1000 sq ft. Also, in the future I will buy more for bigger gigs.
That's a room that's 20' x 25'.  Is that what you mean?

Leo Martin

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 12:09:37 PM »

No, I was just taking a guess and that sounded big. I don't have a picture, but I think I am going with the QSC KW181 which should suffice at least until I can buy another.

Thanks

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »

Ahem....  ;-)

40 * 25 = 1000

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »

No, I was just taking a guess and that sounded big. I don't have a picture, but I think I am going with the QSC KW181 which should suffice at least until I can buy another.

Leo, I'd wait to hear more feedback from others who may have experience with each of those models.  From what I've read here on the forums, the PRX718-XLF has a lower reach than the QSC KW181.  For DJ work that will likely be important. 

No doubt the QSC and JBL are both quality products (and the Yorkville too), one may suit your needs better than the other.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 12:18:56 PM »

Hi,

1. Yorkville LS801P
2. QSC KW181
3. 2X Yamaha DXS15
4. JBL PRX718 XLF

Thanks,
Leo
I have used ONE LS800P extensively at club/bar level gigs for a number of yrs.. it definitely puts out the bass... it can be a little boomy on the lower techno-stuff, but if you tighten it up.. it works fine.

I considered buying a 2nd (many times) but have not yet found a need for a 2nd other than outdoor gigs.
YMMV.

You might want to rent some of the above units BEFORE YOU BUY - to ensure you are making an educated decision. Specs don't tell all.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 12:18:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 28 queries.