ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Subwoofer is the best in your opinion?

Yorkville LS801P
- 12 (31.6%)
QSC KW181
- 13 (34.2%)
JBL PRX718XLF
- 13 (34.2%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too many Subwoofers!  (Read 20388 times)

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
Re: Too many Subwoofers!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »

I have heard the ls801p's in various locations from varied sound companies and they seem like one note wonders to me.  I've never seen a freq chart but they just seem like 80hz boom machines.  Very loud yes, but not natural sounding.  Of the listed options I prefer 2 per side of the KW or PRX, but that's just me.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 07:19:07 PM »

I have heard the ls801p's in various locations from varied sound companies and they seem like one note wonders to me.  I've never seen a freq chart but they just seem like 80hz boom machines.  Very loud yes, but not natural sounding.  Of the listed options I prefer 2 per side of the KW or PRX, but that's just me.

Absolutely agree , I demo'd the Yorkville next to the SRX718 and would take the JBL hands down just based on sound quakity.

If I needed the extra volume, the 728 is actually easier to lug around than the Yorkville IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2014, 08:52:25 PM »

I can't speak for all of them, but I own 4 KW181's, which I use under 2-4 KW153's for live shows and the occasional DJ rental.  While they are great subs, the more and more I listen to them, there just seems something off about them...they seem too underpowered, or too much processing.  Even with 2 subs a side under a single KW153, there just isn't that much "punch" or "rumble" to them IMHO. 
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 04:12:17 PM »

Size is a little bit of an issue just space in the truck. I did see that the Yorkville is the loudest for the price, but I am still not sold on 137lbs being worth the 3db improvement...
It sounds more like 6dB+.  I did a side-by-side comparison with a QSC HPR181i and it wasn't even close in terms of loudness; the Yorkie rules anywhere near its price point.  In terms of sound quality and tonality of the bass notes, the QSC and JBL definitely sound better.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:11:59 PM by Reggie Kendrick »
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Richard Turner

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 02:00:37 AM »

Hi,
I am struggling to pick a powered subwoofer for DJ gigs. I am currently looking at a few models, if anyone has any experience with any of them and could share your experience, it would be appreciated.

1. Yorkville LS801P
2. QSC KW181
3. 2X Yamaha DXS15
4. JBL PRX718 XLF

I use Alto TS115As for top cabs. I am looking for a sub that can play heavy dance music and I want it to be loud enough that it could handle a pretty large space with only one.

Thanks,
Leo

Its really an apples and raisins comaprison.

the yorkville bx hasn't really changed much since they came out with the SW800, early 1990's, 1993 I think? only major changes have been slant cut and addition of casters and the move to B&C drivers from RCF, the powered box's amp signal processed matched to a 4 ohm woofer just moves air very efficiently, its loud and its big and its heavy, a pair of them is as good as 3 possibly 4 of the KW series from QSC but things get a lot more fun with 6 or 8 or more clustered but I think thats beyond what you are going to use But again you need some truck space and again its a 20 year old design that works very well and I would call it a true sub woofer $1500 per street price you will not find anything better at that price point but yourkville never really made a full range to match it so you'll likely end up looking at another series or brand to mate to them. The parasource boxes are nice but still at the upper end of the price bracket they fit in.

Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 10:33:51 AM »

Its really an apples and raisins comaprison.

the yorkville bx hasn't really changed much since they came out with the SW800, early 1990's, 1993 I think? only major changes have been slant cut and addition of casters and the move to B&C drivers from RCF, the powered box's amp signal processed matched to a 4 ohm woofer just moves air very efficiently, its loud and its big and its heavy, a pair of them is as good as 3 possibly 4 of the KW series from QSC but things get a lot more fun with 6 or 8 or more clustered but I think thats beyond what you are going to use But again you need some truck space and again its a 20 year old design that works very well and I would call it a true sub woofer $1500 per street price you will not find anything better at that price point but yourkville never really made a full range to match it so you'll likely end up looking at another series or brand to mate to them. The parasource boxes are nice but still at the upper end of the price bracket they fit in.

Hi Turner,

Have you had a chance to hear the dual 15" parasource sub? I have read they also have a single 18' out (coming), how do these compare to the LS801P /?
Renard from Curacao

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 10:33:51 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 27 queries.