ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Subwoofer is the best in your opinion?

Yorkville LS801P
- 12 (31.6%)
QSC KW181
- 13 (34.2%)
JBL PRX718XLF
- 13 (34.2%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Too many Subwoofers!  (Read 20522 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Too many Subwoofers!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »

Ahem....  ;-)

40 * 25 = 1000
Tomāto, tomăto.  :)

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 02:52:07 PM »

No, I was just taking a guess and that sounded big. I don't have a picture, but I think I am going with the QSC KW181 which should suffice at least until I can buy another.

Thanks

If size and weight are of no concern, get the yorkville.  The size of the room is one thing the other is the size of the dance floor. For a play back gig with a couple hundred attendees on the dance floor (I am guessing there are tables around the perimeter) 1 sub and 2 tops will cover the average event.  The playback gigs that I have done, I chose an EV ELX118P.  Anything over 200 people I walk with 2 of them.  They are far from being the best sub, they are a little boomy and don't quite give the low end extension I would like but for what I payed ($400 a pop) and the weight (70lbs), they work great. 

I have seen a single LS801P adequately handle a huge room roughly (60'X100').  But last I checked, it weighed 137lbs and has those tilt back handles that I hate so much.  (Personal Preference is if you're going to put wheels on a sub there should be four of them  >:(  .)  Big subs are nice but at the end of the night if you're the only one loading the van or truck and there's no ramp or lift gate every extra pound is going to matter.

Rob Gow

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 02:58:35 PM »

I have seen a single LS801P adequately handle a huge room roughly (60'X100').  But last I checked, it weighed 137lbs and has those tilt back handles that I hate so much.  (Personal Preference is if you're going to put wheels on a sub there should be four of them  >:(  .)  Big subs are nice but at the end of the night if you're the only one loading the van or truck and there's no ramp or lift gate every extra pound is going to matter.

True enough after a few years of lifting a pair of LS800p's onto a Dakota, I purchased a trailer with a ramp door, specifically so I could load them myself. I really like my LS800p's, they've never let me down. I'm a small one man operation and the ramp door is definitely a savior on my back, and morale. lol

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 03:08:27 PM »

Hi,
I am struggling to pick a powered subwoofer for DJ gigs. I am currently looking at a few models, if anyone has any experience with any of them and could share your experience, it would be appreciated.

1. Yorkville LS801P
2. QSC KW181
3. 2X Yamaha DXS15
4. JBL PRX718 XLF

I use Alto TS115As for top cabs. I am looking for a sub that can play heavy dance music and I want it to be loud enough that it could handle a pretty large space with only one.

Thanks,
Leo

Out of all the ones listed, I would go with the JBL PRX718XLF.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 03:13:28 PM »

Hi,
I am struggling to pick a powered subwoofer for DJ gigs. I am currently looking at a few models, if anyone has any experience with any of them and could share your experience, it would be appreciated.

1. Yorkville LS801P
2. QSC KW181
3. 2X Yamaha DXS15
4. JBL PRX718 XLF

I use Alto TS115As for top cabs. I am looking for a sub that can play heavy dance music and I want it to be loud enough that it could handle a pretty large space with only one.

Thanks,
Leo

A powered JTR Orbit Shifter or Danley TH118 (both use SpeakerPower plate amps) would run circles around 2 or maybe even 4 of the boxes you mentioned, assuming you can deal with the slightly bigger size and heavier weight.  I routinely do 8000 sq ft ballrooms with just one powered Orbit Shifter.

-JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »

The QSC KW181 has built in wheels which makes moving them easy. Also, the side handles are nicely balanced. I have a pair and want another. Get the covers to keep them nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve Garris

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 06:20:43 PM »

Out of all the ones listed, I would go with the JBL PRX718XLF.

I prefer the JBL's over the QSC's, but they're very close. The JBL is very light, I can bend down and pick it up myself.

The Yorkville is the loudest, and heaviest.

The above mentioned Danley's are in a different class, one that I would like to move in to. Double the price if I'm not mistaken.

Leo Martin

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 06:58:19 PM »

If size and weight are of no concern, get the yorkville.  The size of the room is one thing the other is the size of the dance floor. For a play back gig with a couple hundred attendees on the dance floor (I am guessing there are tables around the perimeter) 1 sub and 2 tops will cover the average event.  The playback gigs that I have done, I chose an EV ELX118P.  Anything over 200 people I walk with 2 of them.  They are far from being the best sub, they are a little boomy and don't quite give the low end extension I would like but for what I payed ($400 a pop) and the weight (70lbs), they work great. 

Size is a little bit of an issue just space in the truck. I did see that the Yorkville is the loudest for the price, but I am still not sold on 137lbs being worth the 3db improvement.

Also, I have looked into the ELX118P's and I don't know how you got them for $400 each(could only get them for $600) but I saw too many reviews saying that it is worth it to bite the bullet and buy nicer subs.

Leo Martin

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »

I prefer the JBL's over the QSC's, but they're very close. The JBL is very light, I can bend down and pick it up myself.

The Yorkville is the loudest, and heaviest.

The above mentioned Danley's are in a different class, one that I would like to move in to. Double the price if I'm not mistaken.

The Danley's are out of my price range for sure. As for the JBL vs QSC (which is looking like what it has come to) I wasn't sure how big of a difference the lower frequency on the JBL made. I like the internal crossover feature on the JBL but like the size of the QSC. It will most likely come to me listening to them both since they are readily available and seeing which one I like best.

Thanks for all the replies, tremendously helpful!!!

Leo Martin

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »

Hi,

1. Yorkville LS801P
2. QSC KW181
3. 2X Yamaha DXS15
4. JBL PRX718 XLF

Thanks,
Leo

I have just added a poll to the top, if you could vote that would be great.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 27 queries.