ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird noise from the bass  (Read 5394 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Weird noise from the bass
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 11:57:46 AM »

For rockabilly music we DI the bass bridge pickup (double bass) and have a separate 'slap' pickup for the string slap on the fingerboard sound.

A friend who is now a very fine live sound engineer once commented "the bass sounds good but what's that clicking sound?".

Steve.

I do a fair number of gig that have slap bass.  My question is why does the string slap have to be 20dB louder that the tone, and why must it have a 3kHz spike?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »

My question is why does the string slap have to be 20dB louder that the tone, and why must it have a 3kHz spike?

It doesn't have to be!

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »

It doesn't have to be!

Steve.

I think that some bassist (or producer), somewhere, must have done this because I hear it emulated far too often
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 06:48:55 PM »

I usually try and teach the band about tuning their instruments EQ to the room much like we do a PA. It does sound cool to rattle the walls with all that low end bass, but it sure sounds like crap when all you hear is the walls rattling........ If the drummer can't tune it out, or the drums are really already in good tune ( not too often these days ) then I lean on the guitarist and bassist to reduce something that can help. Nothing worse than a guitarist with a half stack and enough low end to mask the punch of the kick drum and everything else around it. Couple that with a bassist that thinks that having that 1 brown note rattle the glass off the bar is the coolest thing ever adds up to a whole lot of fail.

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 02:37:26 AM »

It's never a brown note - it's most always above 60, and sometimes above 80 (where the PA usually has a hot spot as well).

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 11:18:57 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Myth Busters actually found that the " brown note " is a made up term and that even at 150db, just about any frequency is not enough to loosen the bowels to the point of needing a diaper :)

But I'm certain you got what I meant anyway. Yes it usually a frequency that is somewhere in the lower octaves. I can't stand a rattling snare..... I can deal with a tom head crying for peace, but the snare head kills me. MAKE IT STOP...... For Christ sake stop and make a change so the darn snare head stops rattling away..........
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 11:18:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.