ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amp Advice  (Read 2406 times)

Pierre Foster

Amp Advice
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:02:59 AM »

So to start, I have searched extensively and found a ton of threads on each amp however every last one seems to get derailed and turns into an argument of burst ratings or damping factor etc etc.

What I would like is some advice based on real world use (not white paper comparisons) of a QSC PL380 vs. Powersoft K6 on Sub duty. Either amp would be used to power 6 - JBL 2242H (3 per side) and on most occasions have to be plugged into a single 20amp 120v circuit. At a later date I will be adding 6 more 2242 and one more of whichever amplifier I end up going with. I am not opposed to using other amps but I currently use QSC PL 4.0 and 2.0 on mid/hi duty and alternatively can acquire a K6 at a reasonable price.

Also one should note this system is for DJ use playing a wide variety of music but mostly Top 40/reggae.

Thanks

Pierre

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: Amp Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:50:22 AM »

I have no experience with the Powersoft but I do own several PL380s.  They will work great for what you want to do.

Pierre Foster

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:12:33 AM »

I have no experience with the Powersoft but I do own several PL380s.  They will work great for what you want to do.

Thanks Ryan, anyone with experience with the K6?

gary makovsky

• Delmont (Pittsburgh) PA
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 12:07:39 PM »

I have used pl380, K6, K3 and on Danley, Martin, VRX and Soundbridge Xyon. We did a test with all the amps on 2 Martin dual 18s with measured responce about 2 years ago for a buddy to decide which amps to buy.  Running at 8 and 4 ohms the K3 and K6 were identical. The PL380 had a slightly lower impulse responce and peaks trailed off with 35Hz synth D&B playback. With a few seconds break on the lows the PL380 caught up but dipped again right away. I'll search for the Smaart screen shots.  4 audio engineers in the room could not tell any difference audibly. the K6 was picked since it provided more output down to 2 ohms. Benifits to the K series are setting the outlet current draw and peak voltage to the speakers. 17 pounds or so in a 1 U space is my biggest benefit. I have had my Ks in some pretty harsh hot environments and never an issue. Damping factor can be disputed if its really a benefit.  Just keep cable runs short and dont go below 12Ga wire. I run my entire rig on two 20 amp breakers since going powersoft, no need for a distro anymore.

So basically decide what is more important since both PL and Ks performed really well, Size, Weight, dollars or a few extra features. Wattage differences never concern me anymore, a measure of work heat. The ability to provide constant current at a certain peak voltage at the speaker. I ended up with 2 K3s myself and very pleased with the investment.

gary makovsky

• Delmont (Pittsburgh) PA
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 01:15:14 PM »

found pics from our play date. will try to find Smaart screen caps.

Pierre Foster

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »

found pics from our play date. will try to find Smaart screen caps.

Pretty much exactly the type of info I was looking for, Thanks Gary

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.