ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio power from quiet generator?  (Read 18024 times)

Sean Lehman

Audio power from quiet generator?
« on: March 18, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »

Hi,  I was running audio power split between two quiet Honda generators.  Kept losing power.  Main power draw was from itech 4000 and Band Amplification.  We kept splitting power form one generator to another and power kept resetting.  No breaker popped and it would come back in about 15 to 30 seconds.  Had subs and had to shut them off as well.  Eventually found a happy medium keeping volume lower and raising crossover.  We should of had ample power available split between these two?  Can these generators not handle this. I can supply more details if needed.

thank you,
Sean

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Audio power from quiet generator?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:17:30 PM »

Hi,  I was running audio power split between two quiet Honda generators.  Kept losing power.  Main power draw was from itech 4000 and Band Amplification.  We kept splitting power form one generator to another and power kept resetting.  No breaker popped and it would come back in about 15 to 30 seconds.  Had subs and had to shut them off as well.  Eventually found a happy medium keeping volume lower and raising crossover.  We should of had ample power available split between these two?  Can these generators not handle this. I can supply more details if needed.

thank you,
Sean

Model numbers of the generators are required before we can tell you for sure what you did wrong....

OE is likely.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Sean Lehman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 03:30:46 PM »

Models:  Honda EU 3000is rated output =2.8kva  and Honda EU 2000i

Model numbers of the generators are required before we can tell you for sure what you did wrong....

OE is likely.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »

thank you,
Sean
What do you mean you "lost" power, yet no breaker was popped?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »

thank you,
Sean
Hard to say for sure, but your IT4000 if driven hard can draw a lot of current - much more than 20A - for brief instances of time.  A small generator doesn't have the electrical inertia of the big grid, and it's entirely possible that the electronic overload protection reacts faster than the circuit breaker.

Turning your sound down 3dB will halve your power consumption.

Sean Lehman

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 03:56:54 PM »

What do you mean you "lost" power, yet no breaker was popped?

-Ray

Meaning that it seems like it went into some kind of protect mode or couldn't keep up with the quick transients or surges.  If we were drawing a lot I'm figuring the breaker would of popped and did not.  What size generator would keep up with an itech 4000 then.  I tech is rated to draw around 10 amps from what i understand.    Is there a certain spec to look at when i need that quick surge of power from a generator?  are the noisy ones better at handling this surge???

Sean Lehman

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:17 PM »

Meaning that it seems like it went into some kind of protect mode or couldn't keep up with the quick transients or surges.  If we were drawing a lot I'm figuring the breaker would of popped and did not.  What size generator would keep up with an itech 4000 then.  I tech is rated to draw around 10 amps from what i understand.    Is there a certain spec to look at when i need that quick surge of power from a generator?  are the noisy ones better at handling this surge???

Also, the itech was only touching -20 on output.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:44 PM »

Models:  Honda EU 3000is rated output =2.8kva  and Honda EU 2000i

Not enough power.  And you can't effectively combine the 3000 and 2000 models properly.

We use two EU3000's with a proper yoking kit to yield 50 amps output.  The primary unit will run up to its limit, then the "additional" draw is taken from the second unit.  You can hear it happening.

I would recommend using a pair of the 3000's or a single larger Honda unit.  The single 3000 will output 23.5 amps if you use the twist-lock output.  The 2000 will only give you about 16 usable amps.  You need more.

Not enough power...

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 04:01:50 PM »

Meaning that it seems like it went into some kind of protect mode or couldn't keep up with the quick transients or surges. 

That would have been the "over-current" protection kicking in when the draw exceeded the output capacity.

Question:

Were you perhaps running the unit(s) in "eco-throttle" mode?

Additionally, you need to state the load placed on the amp plus the mode of operation of said amp.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:11:12 PM by dick rees »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »

Also, the itech was only touching -20 on output.
Where did you see that?  If that's the really case, your ITech would only be drawing maybe 3 amps - -20dB is 1% of full rated power, and should be more than fine..  What else was running?

I did a show last fall on an EU3000 with two ITechHD12K with no issues.  Idle current was about 7 amps for the two ITHDs plus my board.  Light show volume made almost no difference.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.