ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting mixer in HTML5  (Read 11317 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Interesting mixer in HTML5
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 02:35:43 PM »

What in the royal fuck--over?

Why didn't anyone else think about this HTML5 remote access concept earlier? Why should we have to download a specific app on a single platform to get remote control of our consoles?

And these small units look like a great solution to installed systems, banquet halls, ball rooms, class rooms, etc...

Although, I don't think I'm ready to give up my hard control surface just yet...but maybe if someone one of the various MIDI control surfaces for in the box studio recording could be made to work.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 02:41:55 PM »

Why didn't anyone else think about this HTML5 remote access concept earlier? Why should we have to download a specific app on a single platform to get remote control of our consoles?

Agreed....  Though, as someone who has some Web and app design experience, I never thought it would work as well as theirs does. It's not perfect but it works very well; I pulled the test site up on my old iPad 1 last night and it even ran it Ok. A few things lagged a little but it didn't crash safari(which is what I expected). That interface with a 24+ inch touch screen desktop would be pretty sweet. :-) It also handles multi-touch on the iPad, I was able to move 5 faders simultaneously.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »

And these small units look like a great solution to installed systems, banquet halls, ball rooms, class rooms, etc...

Although, I don't think I'm ready to give up my hard control surface just yet...but maybe if someone one of the various MIDI control surfaces for in the box studio recording could be made to work.
I know just enough about this to get into trouble. It's not that new but don't underestimate the hardware complexity to do this... It's not just downloading some software bowser, you need to come up with an IP stack to mimic a computer network type connection. I don't want to overstate the difficulty of this either, they make modern embedded controllers with the capability and firmware built in to replicate a functional IP stack. Once you can make your hardware act like a computer network the user interface gets simpler, but you still need to connect to some capable audio processing hardware.

I like this UI approach, but still haven't quite worked out the details to make one for myself (yet).  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 03:45:53 PM »

I know just enough about this to get into trouble. It's not that new but don't underestimate the hardware complexity to do this... It's not just downloading some software bowser, you need to come up with an IP stack to mimic a computer network type connection. I don't want to overstate the difficulty of this either, they make modern embedded controllers with the capability and firmware built in to replicate a functional IP stack. Once you can make your hardware act like a computer network the user interface gets simpler, but you still need to connect to some capable audio processing hardware.

I like this UI approach, but still haven't quite worked out the details to make one for myself (yet).  8)

JR

The guy in the video says it's got some kind of dual-core ARM processor running the web server and software for the UI. If I had to guess I'd say it runs some flavor of Linux on the backend as Linux is easy to modify for special applications. There are plenty of free, open source, web servers that could probably handle what this is doing; also they limit the number of clients connecting which means they can very accurately guess how much processing power their server needs. Also with Linux getting the IP stack and other needed software isn't a problem.

Then again if the audio side sucks then the cool UI is useless....

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »

I have to disagree.  First, installed systems for those type of spaces rarely need or want that much control on a regular basis.  Maybe if they offered simplified user interfaces with just some limited level control and channel on/off.  Second, you'd need to provide the user interface in some physical format to make it secure yet user accessible (and keep it from being used for anything else like surfing the web).  Third, I/O belongs on the rear panel for install products, a rack mountable product with all the connectivity on the front panel is a pain for installs.

I played with the demo browser pages a bit and got mixed impressions.  They have a lot of it down pretty well, but a few details I didn't like.  One of the most obvious was that the threshold for the comp/limiter did not seem to have any indication of the current setting other than by guesstimating from the graphic, rather awkward if you want to do something like set an output limiter to a specific threshold.  You also apparently can't direct enter numeric values, for example if you want the channel HPF at 100Hz you can't just enter that value, you have to use the on screen controls to set it.  That may be like real physical gear but with a software interface why not allow users to direct enter numerical settings?  There also seem to be some possible math idiosyncrasies, for example I could set a channel HPF for 124Hz or 126Hz but not 125Hz, it got skipped.  I'd guess that all those issues could probably be addressed if they so decided.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 04:21:58 PM »

I have to disagree.  First, installed systems for those type of spaces rarely need or want that much control on a regular basis.  Maybe if they offered simplified user interfaces with just some limited level control and channel on/off.  Second, you'd need to provide the user interface in some physical format to make it secure yet user accessible (and keep it from being used for anything else like surfing the web).  Third, I/O belongs on the rear panel for install products, a rack mountable product with all the connectivity on the front panel is a pain for installs.

Depending on how it's set up it wouldn't be hard to implement a few "safety" features to keep people from mucking it up. That's from the OEM side of things, though. There are plenty of muzak systems out there already that require a keycode to log-in and having something like that here sounds just as simple as programming a new web page. Since it's all HTML5, and not a dedicated program/app, it's completely dynamic and so long as you're not changing on the hard-wired features of the device itself, I don't see why you couldn't reverse-engineer the interface a bit to better suit your layout needs. This idea alone makes it seem like a gold mine compared to other mixers. The possibility to "engineer" your own custom mixer layout to your own needs is rather enticing. Time will tell if that will be an option, though.

To your security point, it would be simple to provide each of these with its own private wireless network segregated off from any outside internet connectivity by using your own access point/router. From the looks of the released photos, though, it has built in wireless already, so it's possible that it could also broadcast its own signal and make that point mute.

I do agree with some of the clunkiness of it, but since it's still very much a beta device, I feel that they'll be using their demo interface to get a lot of feedback on how they could improve it.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »

Why didn't anyone else think about this HTML5 remote access concept earlier?

The MediaMatrix NWare platform introduced this type of thing last year with the Kiosk2Go feature in NWare 1.7.0.

MediaMatrix had an iOS app that you could buy on the iTunes store, but it was clear that people wanted more flexibility. We are now supporting building your own user interface that can be displayed via an HTML5 compliant web browser. So, you can do exactly what they are doing and build your own interface. Then you can have it served up by only a NION on your network. You can connect to it with any HTML5 compliant web browser.

I must say, this HTML5 stuff is pretty amazing.

Anyone who owns a NION gets this update for free by simply updating the firmware in the box.

The point is, they are not the first people to offer this kind of thing, and you can actually buy a NION today and it will ship out to you. Their box is not on the market yet.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:13:07 PM by Josh Millward »
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

JohnGarlick

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 01:43:09 AM »

I am very exited about this product and will be placing an order as soon as i can. I work with a 4 piece rock band, all on ears. This is the perfect solution for them. Yes there are some big missing pieces like no gates and a 4th filter to complete the EQ ect. but I'm sure they will be implemented as firmware updates, maybe they will be apart of the software that ships. There is also word on a multitrack card (thinking maybe AVB?) since the link to add another umix 24 is ethernet. Bottom line is this thing costs $900, and if it sucks then you still get 4 times what you paid for.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 11:34:48 AM »

Interesting that it's simply a web browser interface instead of a dedicated app. Watching the video though, it did appear that there were some latency and response issues at times.  Although, that could have been just because of the way it was being demoed.

Still, the fact that you can control the whole mixer from your iPhone is a pretty cool feature.  Seems like the other players think that their app on the iPhone only needs to control the aux bus.  No main mix control for you!

At this nice low price point, I can definitely see myself having a couple for SOS rigs.  Hopefully, they will have an even more dumbed down interface available for that.  i.e., set it up and lock it down so you only have the volume for each channel.  THAT would be awesome.
Brian Jojade

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 05:03:07 PM »

They need to add an option to gang the input channel faders.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:09:01 PM by Mike Pyle »
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 05:03:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.