ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powering off/on gear  (Read 3331 times)

Gene Flynn

Powering off/on gear
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:17:02 AM »

For permanent installs do you guys leave all your gear on and turn off/on from your power conditioner/supply?  And if so are there any negative effects to the amps??  It just becomes a pain in the --- to turn on 6 amps, etc... every time!  One switch would be nice...   
Thanks

peter dakin

Re: Powering off/on gear
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »

For permanent installs do you guys leave all your gear on and turn off/on from your power conditioner/supply?  And if so are there any negative effects to the amps??  It just becomes a pain in the --- to turn on 6 amps, etc... every time!  One switch would be nice...   
Thanks
Most installs i've come accross have something along the lines of THESE

Punch in code, everything powers on/off. You can get break off with slaves if you've allot of stuff to power or extra racks in other areas.

Gene Flynn

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:54:04 AM »

I just have a basic Furman PL-8C
Most installs i've come accross have something along the lines of THESE

Punch in code, everything powers on/off. You can get break off with slaves if you've allot of stuff to power or extra racks in other areas.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »

Thanks

It depends on the load of the gear.  The inrush current of powering too much on at once could potentially cause a voltage sag that would create issues.  You also have the issue of the proper order to power up gear.  If the amps power up before upstream gear becomes stable, you could result in unwanted noise coming through the system. 
Brian Jojade

Josh Hana

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 01:45:27 PM »

In the few church installs I've done, the gear is usually left on 24/7. If for nothing else, it's usually so that someone can come in and use a mic or play music without having to make a call and having to send someone out to flip a few switches.

In most venues I've been to, they shut down everything each night.
Anytime we're on a job site with gear, it all gets turned off each night, even if the gennie is set to run all week. The exception to this is cold weather gigs, where gear should be left running overnight.

Gene Flynn

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 04:33:21 PM »

Thanks guys.  Much appreciated!!!

Ryan Hammond

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »

We use a power sequencer ;) If you don't, you want to power everything up top to bottom and power down bottom to top. In other words, set it up so that your computers, mixer, and all the low power draw devices power up first and then your high power draw devices (power amps, powered speakers etc.) Make sure they are powered down in reverse order.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:41:11 PM by Ryan Hammond »

Sean Smit

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »

At church we have a main switch for everything. Other sound gigs I do it's amps on last, amps off first. Low draw to high draw is good practice.

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 01:27:41 AM »

When I did installs we always used a sequencer. Furman makes some small (15-20amp) and some large (120amp) ones that work well.  And they make a controller (PowerLink IIRC) and small outlets with relays if you have a bunch of power spread out (think powered speakers) that needs to be controlled.
John Saunders

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »

If you are using newer (I consider anything made within last 5 years "newer") amps that go into sleep/power-saver mode when there no input signal, I don't see a reason to turn them on and off.  Just leave them on.  They draw very little power when idling, on the order of 10 Watts each. 

Most newer amps also have inrush current limiters, so you won't need to worry about power sequencers or causing brownout/pop breakers.  Please check the specs of your amps.

Given the above, the only reason to turn the amps on/off would be if you regularly turn off all the FOH electronics (e.g. mixer) and they cause some turn on/off transient noise (thump) which would damage speakers.

Cheers,
JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.