ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Processor with QSC KLA rig  (Read 6199 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Speaker Processor with QSC KLA rig
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 05:39:18 PM »

The SC48 has 16 outputs.  You're using all of them?

The 388 also has only 2 filters per output.  Since you haven't measured anything yet, how do you know 2 will be sufficient?

I didn't realize 388 has only two filters per output.  A used Ashly Protea would be a good choice.  In any case if he needs more than 4 filters something is amiss. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Ross Macafee

• Noise Gate Audio
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 06:00:41 PM »

I would go with a budget interface and one microphone.  If I were buying a mic today it would be the Isemcon from Rational Acoustics.

Just do your captures and average them together.  No need to have 4 running at once, or even 4 mics in the room. Get a helper and you can get measurements in a few minutes.

By averaging, you greatly reduce location specific anomalies and get a much better view of the big picture. Save some $$$ on the measurement side and put it into a controller.  You don't need many filters on your outputs BTW.

What type of "contoller" are you referring to me saving my funds for? DSP?

Do you have a specific interface in mind? For my personal measurements, I just have the 2 ch presonus audiobox. I've just seen a lot of engineers I respect with the octa capture for similar purpose, so figured I couldn't go wrong with that. Definitely understand the concept and reason for averaging.  That's why I was grabbing 4. My plan was to hang 3 of these in the room for averaging and gathering time domain info and have one for floating. Is that just unnecessary? I know its preferred to take some specific measurements at 45deg on ground, but those would be done with my "floater".  I need one hung at least anyway for DBspl measurement/reference.

The 388 also has only 2 filters per output.  Since you haven't measured anything yet, how do you know 2 will be sufficient?

Wow, I was not aware the 388 has only 2 filters / out.  That is very limited.  Not sure that will work, but if that is the case, and I follow Dave's advice and save $$ on a simple 2 CH interface, use my own computer for Smaart instead of buying them a mac mini and then I could probably afford a used DBX 4800 for around $2K.

I still have a lot to learn about smaart and measuring in general and I appreciate this discussion.  I definitely want to make sure I provide the client with the best allocation of their $$, so I greatly appreciate the feedback, guys.  Thank you

Ross Macafee

• Noise Gate Audio
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »

What Doug said. Speaker zone matrixing is the most common thing to do with console matrix mixes. While there are not actual crossover filters in the console, your speakers already have that, and there is plenty of eq available in the console.

Mac

I'm not opposed to this, but my main 2 concerns are

1. I do not currently have the outputs.  I currently have...

4 - L, R, C, Sub
6 - 3 St IEMs
1 - Dly spkr send (matrix)
1 - Lobby spkr send (matrix)
2 - overflow tv sends (matrix)
1 - mix for office (matrix)
1 - SMPTE send

2. I am pretty maxed out with dsp currently.  I'm not opposed to reallocating it if this is the clear best decision, but wanna make sure 100%, it is first.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:23:33 PM by Ross Macafee »

Mark Rombouts

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »

Maybe turning down the bottom box a few db is the most simple fix here. For a fixed install, you can easily do this on the speaker itself. Once you have the perfect setting, you never have to change it again.

I don't think it is a good idea to set boxes to different array settings. You may get some strange fase related issues due different processing in the speaker.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 12:50:29 PM »

What type of "contoller" are you referring to me saving my funds for? DSP?

Do you have a specific interface in mind? For my personal measurements, I just have the 2 ch presonus audiobox. I've just seen a lot of engineers I respect with the octa capture for similar purpose, so figured I couldn't go wrong with that. Definitely understand the concept and reason for averaging.  That's why I was grabbing 4. My plan was to hang 3 of these in the room for averaging and gathering time domain info and have one for floating. Is that just unnecessary? I know its preferred to take some specific measurements at 45deg on ground, but those would be done with my "floater".  I need one hung at least anyway for DBspl measurement/reference.

Wow, I was not aware the 388 has only 2 filters / out.  That is very limited.  Not sure that will work, but if that is the case, and I follow Dave's advice and save $$ on a simple 2 CH interface, use my own computer for Smaart instead of buying them a mac mini and then I could probably afford a used DBX 4800 for around $2K.

I still have a lot to learn about smaart and measuring in general and I appreciate this discussion.  I definitely want to make sure I provide the client with the best allocation of their $$, so I greatly appreciate the feedback, guys.  Thank you

DSP loudspeaker controller. 

Why pay that much for a 4800 when you can get a perfectly good Ashly or Xilica for roughly half?

Stick with your Audiobox. I have an 8 channel Presonus and my 2 channel Firebox gets used far more.

You don't need multiple mics to average.  Take a measurement, capture it, repeat.  Then average the captures.  Take your measurements where people are listening, not up in the air somewhere. Get a helper and a sheet of plywood, lay it over pews carefully, and take ground plane measurements off the plywood.

I agree maybe turning the bottoms down a bit could help. But if it's still not right, don't be afraid to zone the PA.

I'm Doug, not Dave ;-)
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Ross Macafee

• Noise Gate Audio
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:34 PM »

DSP loudspeaker controller. 

Why pay that much for a 4800 when you can get a perfectly good Ashly or Xilica for roughly half?

Stick with your Audiobox. I have an 8 channel Presonus and my 2 channel Firebox gets used far more.

You don't need multiple mics to average.  Take a measurement, capture it, repeat.  Then average the captures.  Take your measurements where people are listening, not up in the air somewhere. Get a helper and a sheet of plywood, lay it over pews carefully, and take ground plane measurements off the plywood.

I agree maybe turning the bottoms down a bit could help. But if it's still not right, don't be afraid to zone the PA.

I'm Doug, not Dave ;-)

Dave,

I appreciate your help. 

HA! Kidding. SO sorry about continually saying, "Dave".  You are a great resource to this field and this forum and so kind for giving so much of your time here.  Thank you for giving some of your time to help me. 

I assume you're talking about a new Ashly Protea 4:8? We have a rep for Ashly we can go through for that so works out great.  I'm definitely not afraid to zone.  That's a large part of why we're doing this change.  Thanks, Doug!!!

I'll let you guys know how it goes.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:14:48 AM by Ross Macafee »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.