ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone try the new GLD v1.4 firmware?  (Read 10981 times)

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
Re: Anyone try the new GLD v1.4 firmware?
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 02:37:55 PM »

Jeff, are you saying you don't have lag for the iLive or GLD iPad app?

Hi, Mark.

No, we don't have lag for the GLD editor or iPad app. At least not enough to give us any trouble.

My hands-on experience is with the Editor (PC). I use it during sound check to make sure everything's reasonably balanced in the room (FOH position's not representative) and then use it as a meter screen during the service. The meters don't move quite as smoothly as they would on the console screen but they're still quite usable.

On the iPad side of things I have to take the word of one of our other FOH techs who uses his iPad quite extensively. He had some complaints about lag in the earlier versions of the firmware (particularly dragging things on the PEQ screen) but found v1.3 to be much better. When he was showing off the "new improved" speed in v1.3 to me it looked pretty fast.

We don't have an iLive; before we bought the GLD I puddled around the iLive editor software a bit to see what the (promised, but yet to appear at that time) off-line editor for GLD might be like. Of course, when the GLD Editor was launched the UI was completely different...
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »

How does the GLD PC editor program work? I've just ordered an iLive (T112/IDR48) and rather than pay $100.00 for the I-Pad app, I just might remote control my show laptop with VNC. I'm using it now with Sounddiver to control my Roland VM-C7200, and it works great: fast with no sign of sluggishness. When the iLive arrives, I'll probably use it to control iLive Editor.

-Mark

Mark -

I would suggest you pony up the $99.99 for the Mixpad app, it will be money quite well spent.  I've been mixing pretty much exclusively on the iPad for the last three years (T112, R72), rarely (never) put the surface anywhere but sidestage.  The app is multitouch, the editor is single process.  A laptop and iPad at mix position allows access to all functions, should you choose to "hide" the surface.  $100 compared to what you must have spent on your system is negligible, not having an iPad app is significant.

Cheers,

-Tim T

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »

We use the GLD iPad app with no problems as far as the app goes. When I am outdoors and walk behind the stage (150 feet then behind all metal/trailer), I can lose a connection now and then. But the app is responsive. Mix monitors all the time with it during soundcheck. This has been true for V1.3 too. No noticeable lag.

Bob, which iPad hardware are you using? Mine's a gen 3 (right before they went with the lightning connector). 

I particulalry have a very difficult time selecting mixes, which is my primary use, to select an aux mix to setup mon mixes pre-show from stage.  Sometimes I have thought it was because my hands get so dry during shows (after setup my hands are whacked) but when I try other iPad apps my hands work fine and even just now I had the same problem.  Sometimes I have to press the tiny little mix button 10 or more times to get it selected.

Mark McFarlane

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 04:46:13 PM »

Bob, which iPad hardware are you using? Mine's a gen 3 (right before they went with the lightning connector). 

I particulalry have a very difficult time selecting mixes, which is my primary use, to select an aux mix to setup mon mixes pre-show from stage.  Sometimes I have thought it was because my hands get so dry during shows (after setup my hands are whacked) but when I try other iPad apps my hands work fine and even just now I had the same problem.  Sometimes I have to press the tiny little mix button 10 or more times to get it selected.

Mark...

I had a similar problem.  Calouses could be too thick or simply a pressure issue. 

Try a stylus and see if that helps.  My iPad case has a little elastic loop to hold one and it is handy.  You could also use a bit of nylon string to tether a stylus to the pad or the case.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 04:53:12 PM »

Mark...

I had a similar problem.  Calouses could be too thick or simply a pressure issue. 

Try a stylus and see if that helps.  My iPad case has a little elastic loop to hold one and it is handy.  You could also use a bit of nylon string to tether a stylus to the pad or the case.

Thanks Dick, I just threw a stylus in my FOH case. 

To self incriminate, I just read the in-app help about selecting mixes and you don't actually have to press the mix button, just double click anywhere in the fader section. That seems to help a lot (sad, sad me).

I am still having some problems getting faders to 'grab' both with my fingers and my stylus. Maybe I need to invest in a better stylus and carry some lotion.
Mark McFarlane

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 05:04:29 PM »

Thanks Dick, I just threw a stylus in my FOH case. 

To self incriminate, I just read the in-app help about selecting mixes and you don't actually have to press the mix button, just double click anywhere in the fader section. That seems to help a lot (sad, sad me).

I am still having some problems getting faders to 'grab' both with my fingers and my stylus. Maybe I need to invest in a better stylus and carry some lotion.

Mark...

You can also try a lighter touch, but wait for it to take effect.  I think I was pressing harder in the beginning and it was counter-productive.  But I'm only using the Qu-pad app for the 16 channel desk.

With mine, if I just give it a beat to register, then make the desired adjustment it seems to work better.  I think this is just a case of the user adjusting to the touch and the reaction time of the app to feel comfortable and not try to "push the river".

Good luck 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 05:07:03 PM »

Mark...

You can also try a lighter touch, but wait for it to take effect.  I think I was pressing harder in the beginning and it was counter-productive.  But I'm only using the Qu-pad app for the 16 channel desk.

With mine, if I just give it a beat to register, then make the desired adjustment it seems to work better.  I think this is just a case of the user adjusting to the touch and the reaction time of the app to feel comfortable and not try to "push the river".

Good luck 

That also seems to help, thanks Dick. Patience is sometimes a challenge for me :)
Mark McFarlane

Scott Cameron

• Geelong, Australia
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »

I've run both the GLD and Qu editor a fair bit in all sorts of different environments and have never had a problem, the only time I've experienced sluggish response from the app is when I'm right on the edge of wifi range.

There's a few tricks(?) that make it a lot easier, such as the double tap for mix select and dragging your finger to the side to get more precise fader movement etc.

The only improvement I want in the app is to be able to control FX parameters, fingers crossed it will come soon.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »

+1
I am using a gen 4 iPad. Retina display model.

I am told that to select a mix button, you double tap it. Sometimes it works. Terrible design. They should make a big button you can single tap.

It takes about a half second for selecting a channel with a single tap. You need to wait to see if it selects, them try again. Not ok when you need to select it.

Horizontal scroll... You need to wait for a second before the channel seems to respond.

I have no confidence that if I need to move a fader, it is going to move the amount I want.

The Yamaha Stage Mix app has none of these finicky issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:09:53 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 05:08:45 AM »

+1
I am using a gen 4 iPad. Retina display model.

I am told that to select a mix button, you double tap it. Sometimes it works. Terrible design. They should make a big button you can single tap.

It takes about a half second for selecting a channel with a single tap. You need to wait to see if it selects, them try again. Not ok when you need to select it.

Horizontal scroll... You need to wait for a second before the channel seems to respond.

I have no confidence that if I need to move a fader, it is going to move the amount I want.

The Yamaha Stage Mix app has none of these finicky issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have an identical experience on my 3rd gen iPad.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 05:08:45 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.