ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone try the new GLD v1.4 firmware?  (Read 10974 times)

Mark McFarlane

Anyone try the new GLD v1.4 firmware?
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:12:04 AM »

Any known issues with the new firmware?  I'd really like access to the new transient designer FX but have a couple important shows coming up.  If you haven;t tried the new firmware, does A&H generally do a good job testing new releases?  I am also hoping v1.4 will improve the iPad UI sluggishness I am expereincing.
Mark McFarlane

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Anyone try the new GLD v1.4 firmware?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 01:21:44 AM »

Any known issues with the new firmware?  I'd really like access to the new transient designer FX but have a couple important shows coming up.  If you haven;t tried the new firmware, does A&H generally do a good job testing new releases?  I am also hoping v1.4 will improve the iPad UI sluggishness I am expereincing.
I updated a week ago. Update was quick and problem free. I also updated the editor on PC and Mac. The iPad update (after the quick patch) was also fine.

I had the desk out on a gig yesterday and it was fine.

I was hoping for something with a side chain input. I guess I will have to buy a compressor and patch it in.

The iPad app is still pretty much not usable for much due to the sluggish response and unreliable channel selection or mix selection. Dragging EQ points and even simple fader moves are difficult to do with precision.
Come on A&H, if Yamaha can make it work well, you can too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 01:54:05 AM »

I installed it last week at my church; I wasn't mixing FOH this weekend but also didn't hear about any issues with the console. I'd have ideally left it another week or two but iOS7 updates Remote and OneMix to the latest versions as soon as they're released, so we needed to update the console to match.

I expect if there was anything major we'd have seen it come up on the GLD forum by now. Looking at the release notes of "maintenance" releases of the firmware gives you some idea of the sort of bugs that can slip through the cracks in a major update (the most serious ones tend to be console crashes caused by obscure combinations of parameters and user inputs). That said, each major upgrade they seem to be getting better at finding all the bugs before release--I don't believe there were actually any maintenance releases in v1.3 for example.

I don't mix on iPad, but the one FOH guy in my church who does noticed a big improvement going from v1.2 to v1.3 (he has a 4th-gen iPad I think). I didn't ask him if v1.4 was any faster since v1.3 already worked quite smoothly for him.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 04:01:45 PM »

The iPad app is still pretty much not usable for much due to the sluggish response and unreliable channel selection or mix selection. Dragging EQ points and even simple fader moves are difficult to do with precision.
Come on A&H, if Yamaha can make it work well, you can too!

I'm glad to hear you have the same issues as me.  I have an X32, iPad app works great. I've mixed on a DL1608, iPad app works great.  I used Stereoscope (touchOSC- based) for my 01V96, worked fine.  The GLD remote app is so sluggish it is almost not usable.  (Edit: part of my complaint was actually due to operator error, and RTFM, read on for the mea culpa)

I was hoping to have my A2 run monitors from an iPad on stage for a festival next week.  Looks like we''ll be using comms instead.

Sorry to hear 1.4 isn't better.

The only thing I can think of is A&H is maybe using or built some sw GUI abstraction layer (perhaps with an intent to deliver a windows tablet or android version in the future).   Whatever they are doing, it simply is not working.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:54:56 PM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Mark Oakley

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:33:39 PM »

How does the GLD PC editor program work? I've just ordered an iLive (T112/IDR48) and rather than pay $100.00 for the I-Pad app, I just might remote control my show laptop with VNC. I'm using it now with Sounddiver to control my Roland VM-C7200, and it works great: fast with no sign of sluggishness. When the iLive arrives, I'll probably use it to control iLive Editor.

-Mark
Oakley Audio

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:52:49 PM »

How does the GLD PC editor program work? I've just ordered an iLive (T112/IDR48) and rather than pay $100.00 for the I-Pad app, I just might remote control my show laptop with VNC. I'm using it now with Sounddiver to control my Roland VM-C7200, and it works great: fast with no sign of sluggishness. When the iLive arrives, I'll probably use it to control iLive Editor.

-Mark

No problems with GLD Editor on OSX, it is just like being on the surface,but no multi-touch.

I have no experience with iLive Remote on iPad, it may be different.
Mark McFarlane

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 01:17:05 AM »

-Mark

The iPad app is free for the GLD. You are thinking of the iLive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 10:52:28 AM »

-Mark

The GLD and iLive editors have very different user interfaces. The GLD editor is laid out basically the same as the surface (all the same knobs and buttons in the same places), while the iLive editor doesn't have the same "console" feel (I've never laid hands on an iLive so I have no idea if the editor is consistent with the on-screen display or not).

That said, I've never had any problems or lag with the Editor, which I tend to use pretty heavily during rehearsals since FOH position where I mix is not totally representative of the room.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »

That said, I've never had any problems or lag with the Editor, which I tend to use pretty heavily during rehearsals since FOH position where I mix is not totally representative of the room.

Jeff, are you saying you don't have lag for the iLive or GLD iPad app?
Mark McFarlane

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 01:50:19 PM »

We use the GLD iPad app with no problems as far as the app goes. When I am outdoors and walk behind the stage (150 feet then behind all metal/trailer), I can lose a connection now and then. But the app is responsive. Mix monitors all the time with it during soundcheck. This has been true for V1.3 too. No noticeable lag.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 01:50:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.