ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Clear-Com over distance ?  (Read 9377 times)

John Penkala

Re: Clear-Com over distance ?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 10:58:11 PM »

I'm not a big fan of running comms over the audio "snake. When something goes apeshit, its nice to know that the clearcom is a seperate system (with the master station on a UPS). I have seen both desks and racks loose their Optocore interface, and unless you have UPS' on everything, Dante is volunerable to power failures.

I have a UPS with all digital consoles and with every stage box.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 02:32:42 PM »

Off topic... last show someone tried to run their wired ClearComm on one of my Roland digital snake audio channels (the snake itself is over CAT5e) and it would not work -- the snake removed the DC power being supplied by the base station.  Just thought I throw that out there.

-JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 01:28:30 AM »

Off topic... last show someone tried to run their wired ClearComm on one of my Roland digital snake audio channels (the snake itself is over CAT5e) and it would not work -- the snake removed the DC power being supplied by the base station.  Just thought I throw that out there.

-JR
That is why everyone is suggesting converting the Clearcomm to 4wire which is balanced audio (2 channels...send and return)without the DC power. At the other end where it is converted back to 2 wire (Clearcom) you have a main station to power the Clearcomm from that point onwards.
DC power doesn't pass on any digital snake/transport that I know of.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 07:29:38 AM »

That is why everyone is suggesting converting the Clearcomm to 4wire which is balanced audio (2 channels...send and return)without the DC power. At the other end where it is converted back to 2 wire (Clearcom) you have a main station to power the Clearcomm from that point onwards.
DC power doesn't pass on any digital snake/transport that I know of.

Exactly,

The other point, regardless of whether you are using a digital snake or not, is that converting it to 4w also balances the audio. Normal 2w comms audio is unbalanced, which is one of the reasons that it is very susceptible to noise being induced on long runs. I quite often end up sending comms up the FOH-Stage multi as 4w audio, since it mitigates these issues.
Riedel Communications

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »

Exactly,

The other point, regardless of whether you are using a digital snake or not, is that converting it to 4w also balances the audio. Normal 2w comms audio is unbalanced, which is one of the reasons that it is very susceptible to noise being induced on long runs. I quite often end up sending comms up the FOH-Stage multi as 4w audio, since it mitigates these issues.

It is also possible to balance the audio without going to 4W with a dry out box. You have a dry out box on each end of the snake, and power each end separately. There is no DC on the long cable run, and the audio is balanced so it rejects noise better,

Mac

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »

It is also possible to balance the audio without going to 4W with a dry out box. You have a dry out box on each end of the snake, and power each end separately. There is no DC on the long cable run, and the audio is balanced so it rejects noise better,

Mac

Now for really long Clearcom runs, we are looking at the Telecast CommLink
http://www.miranda.com/CommLink

30Km over one single mode fiber. Will power up to 10 beltpacks, RTS and Clearcomm, 4 wire support. Will work as a converter in standalone mode.

It also fits the same frames our HD-SDI transmitter/receivers

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »

Yes, I had seen those telecast units.

They certainly make sense if you already own a bunch of copperheads, etc...

What do you pay for a pair of those (a Tx and an Rx)?
Riedel Communications

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 02:57:37 PM »

Yes, I had seen those telecast units.

They certainly make sense if you already own a bunch of copperheads, etc...

What do you pay for a pair of those (a Tx and an Rx)?

for the Viper II frame version (cheapest) they are ~$2600 a pair USD.
We already have the Viper II and 12 channel TFOCA-II fiber carrying HD-SDI to the locations we want to add comms, so it's something we are thinking about.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 03:52:33 PM »

for the Viper II frame version (cheapest) they are ~$2600 a pair USD.
We already have the Viper II and 12 channel TFOCA-II fiber carrying HD-SDI to the locations we want to add comms, so it's something we are thinking about.

OK, interesting. Not as much as I thought to be honest!

I mean a Dante interface, 2-4 and PSU would be much cheaper, but less elegant too
Riedel Communications

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 03:52:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.