ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure LX Marcad Distortion???  (Read 2498 times)

Michael A. Yates

Shure LX Marcad Distortion???
« on: March 14, 2014, 03:57:52 PM »

I had to pull out the old VHF rig for a show the other night. The rig consist of 4 Shure LX 4 receivers and 4 LX 2 transmitters with Beta 58A capsules. The receivers are hooked to a Shure WA405 antenna and power distribution system.

The other night when the client was using the system I noticed I was having bad dropouts with one of the microphones and also bad distortion. Didn't think much of it at the time. Thought it might just be a Capsule and squelch problem.

Today I happen to be out in the shop playing around with it and I noticed the same mic has a lot of distortion in the orange light on the receiver on RF A will not light up at all. Tried redoing the antenna cables on the back with no luck. Switched out the capsules with another unit and it sounded the same. I had a Shure LX 1 body pack with a lapel that's on the same frequency and tried that and it will not show RF on antenna A and it also sounds distorted.

Which leaves me with my thought now.... If the MARCAD is going bad in this receiver could it cause problems with dropouts and distortion.

Is it worth sending to Shure to get fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Lavoie

Re: Shure LX Marcad Distortion???
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »

I had to pull out the old VHF rig for a show the other night. The rig consist of 4 Shure LX 4 receivers and 4 LX 2 transmitters with Beta 58A capsules. The receivers are hooked to a Shure WA405 antenna and power distribution system.

The other night when the client was using the system I noticed I was having bad dropouts with one of the microphones and also bad distortion. Didn't think much of it at the time. Thought it might just be a Capsule and squelch problem.

Today I happen to be out in the shop playing around with it and I noticed the same mic has a lot of distortion in the orange light on the receiver on RF A will not light up at all. Tried redoing the antenna cables on the back with no luck. Switched out the capsules with another unit and it sounded the same. I had a Shure LX 1 body pack with a lapel that's on the same frequency and tried that and it will not show RF on antenna A and it also sounds distorted.

Which leaves me with my thought now.... If the MARCAD is going bad in this receiver could it cause problems with dropouts and distortion.

Is it worth sending to Shure to get fixed?

If it is your "old" kit, then those fixed channels may have become occupied since the DTV changeover.
Since most channels had digital and analog running simultaneously for a while they're all on new channels now, so fixed channel wireless that used to be ok in your city may no longer be.
check your location at www.tvfool.com and cross-reference that with the TV channel that your units land on.

Jason

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:39:38 PM »

Shure's flat price to fix LX4 is $92. It's up to you whether that's worth it. The VHF stuff is so old I'd be inclined to dump it and upgrade to something more modern but that's just me.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:46:48 PM »

Just checked into that. I'm using 183.600, 182.200, 180.400, and 170.045. Tv channels are using  192- 198 and 198- 204 in my area. The 182.200 is the one giving me issues. It's not the capsule so I'm figuring it's the receiver or transmitter itself. Gain on the transmitter has been turned all the way down and still sounds distorted.

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »

Shure's flat price to fix LX4 is $92. It's up to you whether that's worth it. The VHF stuff is so old I'd be inclined to dump it and upgrade to something more modern but that's just me.
Yea I have about 8 SLX units this is just a backup and also something used at smaller gigs. $92 is better then replacing the whole rig. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.