ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amp draw EV amps.  (Read 5591 times)

Ian Appleby

Amp draw EV amps.
« on: March 20, 2014, 06:59:24 PM »

I have to three EV P3000s In an amp rack. Can I power them of a single 30 amp circuit? Or do I need three phasing to put each amp on a single phase. I know three phase would be best, but is it over kill?
Ian Appleby
Dynacord Cobra 2 / EV Phoenix, ZX3 / A&H QU32

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Amp draw EV amps.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »

The 1/8 of max power draw rating with 4 ohm load equates to a hair under 14 amps (1650W consumption listed on the spec sheet). If you want to plan for worst case, that would be 1/3 max power draw rating which gets you up to 30A pretty quick. So I would advise 30A service per amp if you're going to be loading them down and pushing them hard. Otherwise no less than 20A per amp to be safe. If you're going to be running them relatively light, like at 8 or 16 ohms and not pushing a lot of low end, you could get away with all 3 on a single 30A circuit. It all depends on how you're going to use them. Full tilt sub duty at 4 ohms or bridged, better have the extra ampacity available.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »

The 1/8 of max power draw rating with 4 ohm load equates to a hair under 14 amps (1650W consumption listed on the spec sheet). If you want to plan for worst case, that would be 1/3 max power draw rating which gets you up to 30A pretty quick. So I would advise 30A service per amp if you're going to be loading them down and pushing them hard. Otherwise no less than 20A per amp to be safe. If you're going to be running them relatively light, like at 8 or 16 ohms and not pushing a lot of low end, you could get away with all 3 on a single 30A circuit. It all depends on how you're going to use them. Full tilt sub duty at 4 ohms or bridged, better have the extra ampacity available.

I would agree with your suggestions and offer one more point to consider. We sometimes get into trouble tripping breakers when running hip-hop style DJ shows. This type of performance is VERY heavy on continuous bass, so it can approach the test-bench amperage draw of a full wattage test. And as you note, 2-ohm speaker loads (or 4-ohm in bridged mode) with continuous bass forces the amplifiers to draw max current from the AC line for extended periods.

It's all about the crest factor, baby...  8)

Ian Appleby

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »

I would agree with your suggestions and offer one more point to consider. We sometimes get into trouble tripping breakers when running hip-hop style DJ shows. This type of performance is VERY heavy on continuous bass, so it can approach the test-bench amperage draw of a full wattage test. And as you note, 2-ohm speaker loads (or 4-ohm in bridged mode) with continuous bass forces the amplifiers to draw max current from the AC line for extended periods.

It's all about the crest factor, baby...  8)

We'll I never bridge my amps. I do run three single 18" 8 ohm speaker per channel once in a while. Also if my distro has breakers, then do I need to put a breaker in my amp rack sub panel?. I'm about to make a sub panel with XLR in/outs NL4 out and an l21-30 on the right side of the sub panel. Any thoughts?
Ian Appleby
Dynacord Cobra 2 / EV Phoenix, ZX3 / A&H QU32

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »

We'll I never bridge my amps. I do run three single 18" 8 ohm speaker per channel once in a while. Also if my distro has breakers, then do I need to put a breaker in my amp rack sub panel?. I'm about to make a sub panel with XLR in/outs NL4 out and an l21-30 on the right side of the sub panel. Any thoughts?
Your circuits do need to be protected by breakers of appropriate ratings. If the amps are rated for a 20A circuit/plug, then you need a 20A breaker on each circuit. Your L21-30 input is providing three legs of 30A each-- so you will want at least 3-20A breakers to protect them down to what the amp can manage.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:31:53 AM »

Your circuits do need to be protected by breakers of appropriate ratings. If the amps are rated for a 20A circuit/plug, then you need a 20A breaker on each circuit. Your L21-30 input is providing three legs of 30A each-- so you will want at least 3-20A breakers to protect them down to what the amp can manage.

-Ray
+1.  Something like a Motion Labs Rack Pack is the right tool for this.  Make sure that if you DIY that your work is up to code and fully-enclosed.  Line voltage must be separated from signal lines by a barrier.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 12:38:04 PM »

+1.  Something like a Motion Labs Rack Pack is the right tool for this.  Make sure that if you DIY that your work is up to code and fully-enclosed.  Line voltage must be separated from signal lines by a barrier.
Always hesitating to post pictures of my setups, in fear of someone seeing something done wrong... :-p But, left side second photo down is one of our VerTec racks...

http://www.kelcema.com/Photo_Gallery3.htm

NL8 outputs (2) and dual XLR in/out and two EtherCon connectors on the top panel. Bottom 2U is a Motion Labs RackPack that TJ mentioned. It's an L21-30 input/output and creates 4-20A breakers. I then put one amp on each circuit. (The network switch is also powered from one of the circuits.) Rack case, blank 2U panel, pre-punched 2U panel, and all connectors/etc from AudioPile. If you find yourself nervous about any assembly stuff, Liz will be happy to have their peeps put things together, and they'll send it to you as assembled as you need it. I dislike soldering, so for me, it's worth paying a couple bucks to have them assemble the NL8 jacks at their shop!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 12:38:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.