ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Con Breakout Box  (Read 6331 times)

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio
Power Con Breakout Box
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:58:40 PM »

Looking for a powercon breakout box like this:
http://www.filmandvideolighting.com/chauvet-lighting-powercon-splitter-powerstream-4.html?gclid=CMfOl5v5nL0CFYt9OgodPDEA8g

In fact this one may be fine - just wondering if anyone has seen any other options. This is to neatly distribute power to stage locations - lower power like keyboards, headphone amps for in ears, pedal boards...We have powercon breakout to two duplex outlets for these locations, but at the back of stage we want to neatly distribute power in several directions from one 20 amp source.

Thanks,

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Power Con Breakout Box
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »

http://www.filmandvideolighting.com/chauvet-lighting-powercon-splitter-powerstream-4.html?gclid=CMfOl5v5nL0CFYt9OgodPDEA8g

In fact this one may be fine - just wondering if anyone has seen any other options. This is to neatly distribute power to stage locations - lower power like keyboards, headphone amps for in ears, pedal boards...We have powercon breakout to two duplex outlets for these locations, but at the back of stage we want to neatly distribute power in several directions from one 20 amp source.

Thanks,
You will hear many people say very good things about OA Windsor products. Ken custom builds to order, very high quality products... but probably a bit more expensive then the cheap, mass-produced option from Chauvet that you linked to.

Power is one place I would prefer to not "Cheap out" on....

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:35:19 PM »

I have 2 dozen of the Chauvet power streams.  They are a fine box for the money. Ken also has fine products.  Choose domestic or import. 

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »

Not to Code

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 09:01:13 PM »

Am I the only one who feels that putting a 20A breaker on a box like this is redundant, or perhaps even encourages someone to feed it from a higher capacity circuit?  PowerCons are only rated at 20A anyway, so shouldn't whatever is feeding the blue input connector be protected at 20 (or maybe only 15, depending where it's plugged in) amps?

GTD

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »

Am I the only one who feels that putting a 20A breaker on a box like this is redundant, or perhaps even encourages someone to feed it from a higher capacity circuit?  PowerCons are only rated at 20A anyway, so shouldn't whatever is feeding the blue input connector be protected at 20 (or maybe only 15, depending where it's plugged in) amps?

GTD

I suspect it is a UL thing or some such. Power strips have em too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 09:41:15 PM »

GTD

There is no wiring diagram to verify where that breaker is in the circuit, but I would expect it to be on the 4 outlets on the side of the box to protect the rest of the circuit that may be on the feed through from losing power due to a problem with the load on the 4 outlets.

Mac

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 11:45:44 AM »

GTD

Europe has 13A and 26A circuits. It needs to protect the 20A-rated supplying the PowerCon box if connected to a higher ampacity circuit, as it may be sold or used in markets other than the U.S.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 11:45:44 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.