ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: splitting stereo insert cable?  (Read 9585 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: oops my apologies
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »

There is no way to get two independent channels out of a mono EQ, or 4 channels out of a stereo one.

The best I can suggest is a stereo EQ that only has one set of sliders, but they control both channels.  Rane makes (made?) one in the Mojo series IIRC, and BearRinger has a digital stereo graphic that only has one set of sliders.  However, the BearRinger is 2 spaces to start with, so not exactly compact, and I think the Rane was only 15 bands, so another compromise there.

GTD

Rane did indeed make a 31 band stereo eq all in one rack space.  Usually available on e-bay for under $70.  If you care to get one, be careful to get the MOJO and not their look-alike mono version.
frank

Jon Ness

Re: splitting stereo insert cable?
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 04:38:25 PM »

Without pulling a spec of the powered mixer he is using, it sounds like there's four inserts for -- 1ea L and R mains, 1 ea L and R aux sends. So, he's only working with one insert per channel, instead of being able to mono from the mixer and split to multiple amps.

Basically, he would like to use a custom cable to insert EQ into two spots at the same time. So one channel of the EQ is inserting into LR Mains, and the other channel is inserting into the two aux sends. Sounds like they do not have to be independent.

Of course, Jon, the configuration you are looking for also means you will no longer be able to EQ Aux2 for the extra-loud person separately......

To be candid, I would just get another small rack with enough room for AC, a patch panel, and your two EQs mounted in it.

-Ray
Yes, Ray, that is the insert situation. I only have one for each of the four power amps. They do not have to be independent. I know it sounds odd, but the volume we play at is medium, and I rarely ever have any feedback issues at all. I prefer to use my EQ's to Mold my sound, as I really don't have to deal with feedback. Very rare, and usually I slightly adjust gain to remove feedback. jsyk, the EQ's are the only outboard equipment I use on our mix. No effects, gates, compressors, or anything like that. There is an internal effects processor in the Mixer that I set with slight reverb for the mains vocals. Sounds great, and I love it. But, 1. I need space in my vehicle, so another rack will not work. and 2. I do not want to patch the inserts up at every show. I want the mixer and EQ in the same rack, so I can leave the inserts plugged in for quicker set up and tear down. Don't ask for much, do I?

So, back to my original question... Can I make my own custom Y cable that has one Female TRS (Switchcraft 1238) and two Male TRS Plugs? This way I can send Channel 1 of EQ to both L-R main insert points, and Channel 2 of EQ to both Monitor insert points. I understand that the signal is not the same that goes through each, but there are also four 7-band graphic EQ's built into the Mixer, one for each power amp. If I need to do slightly different EQ settings for the 4 separate power amps, I can tweak their individual EQ's. Sound plausible?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 04:46:11 PM »

Yes, Ray, that is the insert situation. I only have one for each of the four power amps. They do not have to be independent. I know it sounds odd, but the volume we play at is medium, and I rarely ever have any feedback issues at all. I prefer to use my EQ's to Mold my sound, as I really don't have to deal with feedback. Very rare, and usually I slightly adjust gain to remove feedback. jsyk, the EQ's are the only outboard equipment I use on our mix. No effects, gates, compressors, or anything like that. There is an internal effects processor in the Mixer that I set with slight reverb for the mains vocals. Sounds great, and I love it. But, 1. I need space in my vehicle, so another rack will not work. and 2. I do not want to patch the inserts up at every show. I want the mixer and EQ in the same rack, so I can leave the inserts plugged in for quicker set up and tear down. Don't ask for much, do I?

So, back to my original question... Can I make my own custom Y cable that has one Female TRS (Switchcraft 1238) and two Male TRS Plugs? This way I can send Channel 1 of EQ to both L-R main insert points, and Channel 2 of EQ to both Monitor insert points. I understand that the signal is not the same that goes through each, but there are also four 7-band graphic EQ's built into the Mixer, one for each power amp. If I need to do slightly different EQ settings for the 4 separate power amps, I can tweak their individual EQ's. Sound plausible?
The problem with this is that you already mentioned you boost signal for your one performer (the bassist?) who needs a hotter signal. By using Channel 2 of only one EQ unit, you will no longer have the ability to boost his signal (or certain frequencies) without affecting the other monitors. Is that OK with you?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 06:18:59 PM »

Another solution might be to find a digital multi channel eq. 

http://alesis.com/deq830

This is eight channel in a 1U rack mount.   

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »

Hello.  Newb here  :o
I have a "can I do this?" question for someone, anyone! I have a Band that plays clubs, and I am using a Carvin 12 channel Mixer with four internal power amps. 1 & 2 are L-R Mains, 3 & 4 are separate Monitor signals. There are four female insert jacks above the corresponding Speaker outputs, one for each of the four Amps. I have limited space in my rack, and a limited budget. I have a dual 31 band EQ that I would really like to employ on both Monitors and Mains if possible. I am interested in using ch 1 for Both L-R Mains, and ch 2 for both Monitor mixes. If I connect the send and return ends of the Insert Cables to the Dual EQ, I come up with two TRS Male plugs that each need to go to two places. Can I split the TRS signal into two separate TRS signals which are identical, effectively allowing me to use one channel of the EQ to be applied to two amp insertpoints? I was thinking of wiring a special cable to do this, using a Stereo 1/4" Female end, splitting the TRS signal into two Male TRS plugs. Is this possible, and are there any phase or ground issues in wiring something this way? Or have I confused everyone so much that they don't want to hear it anymore? haha. sorry :-[

If you just need to turn the bassist monitor speaker up more you can do this without any custom made cables. If he wants just HIS microphone louder in his monitor you can't do it at all with one eq channel. You can not combine the two monitor sends eq them and then separate them after. If you want to send monitor one to the eq using an insert cable and then send the return signal back to both monitor amps you can do that with a one female dual male 1/4 cable. Plug one male into the out side of the eq,the return of the insert cable into the female plug and the other male into the insert jack of the monitor two amp. You Can only mix the individual channels on MON 1 but you can control the master monitor volumes separately and still use the 7 band Eqs if you need additional eq changes but I wouldn't recommend it. Of course if you hook the mains up the same way you get what you want there regardless of the monitor situation. I own the mixer you're talking about. I keep it as a spare piece of equipment because you can use in a variety of way due to this inserts on the four amps.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Jon Ness

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 10:21:08 PM »

The problem with this is that you already mentioned you boost signal for your one performer (the bassist?) who needs a hotter signal. By using Channel 2 of only one EQ unit, you will no longer have the ability to boost his signal (or certain frequencies) without affecting the other monitors. Is that OK with you?

-Ray
Not sure Ray. I use the 2 monitor signals to run 4 monitors(2 a side) with 2 mixes. So are you saying I can't run 2 monitor mixes by using a custom 1/4" female TRS to two 1/4" male TRS cable?

Jerome that Alesis looks sweet! 8 EQ's yeah. Little expensive for me, but wow I like that. Most of the digital EQ's I've seen are hard to adjust on the fly. I need to be able to adjust frequencies on any EQ between hammer-ons and Power Chords during the song, y'know? real quick-like....

Scott I do love this Mixer it is so practical and flexible for my needs. I do tend to use outside power amps... which, I actually am using a QSC 1500 for the monitors right now. I am beginning to realize why I cant send two mon signals into one EQ and then split them again. Okay I am a little slow at Physics, but I see. I am SOL, am I not? Really I just need to talk my wife into A family purchase of a nice big cargo van, and then space will no longer be an issue. probably not happening though.

Thanks for letting me waste your time on this one guys, sorry. I am open to any ideas, however crazy they may be. Thanks for the help, it is very appreciated.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 10:26:14 PM »

Not sure Ray. I use the 2 monitor signals to run 4 monitors(2 a side) with 2 mixes. So are you saying I can't run 2 monitor mixes by using a custom 1/4" female TRS to two 1/4" male TRS cable?
Well, pretty much. If you use the same EQ to process both of your monitor mixes, you only have one set of EQs for that signal chain. So, what you do to Mix 1 is also applied to Mix 2. You will not be able to have that boost to your bassist's signal.

Thanks for letting me waste your time on this one guys, sorry. I am open to any ideas, however crazy they may be. Thanks for the help, it is very appreciated.
Never a waste of time! As I mentioned before, having an open mind and asking questions is super vital!

The DEQ that Jerome mentioned is a great idea-- and I should have thought about it, since I have one of those units... Haha. I just never use it anymore. So I guess it could be for sale? ;)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

duane massey

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 01:14:53 AM »

I'm surprised no one pointed out the obvious. If you connect Mon 1 and 2 you cannot separate them again, so there would no longer be 2 mixes, just one combined. Same goes for the mains. Not really a good idea on several levels.
Do you really need  a 1/3 octave? DBX (as well as other brands) makes a dual 15-cha EQ in a single rack version. For general tone shaping these are quite adequate.
I've never used the Alesis but it seems to be a useable device.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 02:52:24 AM »

I'm surprised no one pointed out the obvious. If you connect Mon 1 and 2 you cannot separate them again

It's been mentioned many times!

The easiest way to understand this is to draw it out as a block diagram and connect it up with pencil lines.  An output can feed into any number of inputs but no input can receive the signal from more than one output.

Steve,
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:56:04 AM by Steve M Smith »

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 06:03:15 AM »

Hello.  Newb here  :o
I have a "can I do this?" question for someone, anyone! I have a Band that plays clubs, and I am using a Carvin 12 channel Mixer with four internal power amps. 1 & 2 are L-R Mains, 3 & 4 are separate Monitor signals. There are four female insert jacks above the corresponding Speaker outputs, one for each of the four Amps. I have limited space in my rack, and a limited budget. I have a dual 31 band EQ that I would really like to employ on both Monitors and Mains if possible. I am interested in using ch 1 for Both L-R Mains, and ch 2 for both Monitor mixes. If I connect the send and return ends of the Insert Cables to the Dual EQ, I come up with two TRS Male plugs that each need to go to two places. Can I split the TRS signal into two separate TRS signals which are identical, effectively allowing me to use one channel of the EQ to be applied to two amp insert points? I was thinking of wiring a special cable to do this, using a Stereo 1/4" Female end, splitting the TRS signal into two Male TRS plugs. Is this possible, and are there any phase or ground issues in wiring something this way? Or have I confused everyone so much that they don't want to hear it anymore? haha. sorry :-[

Jon,

Since rack space is the issue, no one asked the obvious question, what dual EQs are you using now? Some take up 2 rack spaces and others take up 4. I think we all assume you're already using ones that only take 2 spaces, but that would be good to check off. So iassume your trying get a total of 4 spaces down to 2.

2 of these; Behringer DEQ2496, will do what you want in 2 spaces.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 06:03:15 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.