ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pink noise source  (Read 3225 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Pink noise source
« on: March 13, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »

What are y'all using for pink noise source?

As an installer, I often need to feed pink into various types of inputs (XLR mic or line level, 3.5mm stereo, dual RCAs, etc.), and phantom power is not always available.

I had a phone app that provided test signals, but that pink noise sounded compressed, and kept shutting off after a minute. And my phone is only good for 3.5 or RCA inputs.

Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Alfredo Prada

Re: Pink noise source
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »

As an installer, I often need to feed pink into various types of inputs (XLR mic or line level, 3.5mm stereo, dual RCAs, etc.), and phantom power is not always available.

I had a phone app that provided test signals, but that pink noise sounded compressed, and kept shutting off after a minute. And my phone is only good for 3.5 or RCA inputs.

I use this:

http://www.nti-audio.com/en/products/minirator-mr-pro-mr2.aspx

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 02:49:10 PM »

I have 10 minutes of pink noise (from Bink's Audio Test CD) saved as a WAV file on my player.  I set it to loop.  I have built up 3.5mm to XLR, and even unbalanced will drive most systems adequately for testing & measurement.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 04:24:34 PM »

.  I have built up 3.5mm to XLR, and even unbalanced will drive most systems adequately for testing & measurement.
Just ensure the phantom power is off...

I have something like this...
http://www.parts-express.com/gtc-np-1-noise-plug--245-115?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 08:29:19 PM »

Just ensure the phantom power is off...

I have something like this...
http://www.parts-express.com/gtc-np-1-noise-plug--245-115?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Much of what it is used for does not involve mixers, or at least none with phantom power.  I can drive our Crown I-Tech/VerTec rig with my player.   Great for a test as we remove the caster boards as it flies out.  This is particularly good when we're doing stacks and racks shows - if there is an obvious problem I want to find it before I hand the system over to the BE or client.

I also have a stereo recording, voice that says "Channel 1" on the left, alternating with "Channel 2" on the right.  I can chase lines with this and a Q-box.

Also, my 3.5mm/XLR cable has the audio connections on pins 2 & 3, so without pin 1 there is no phantom.  Player is plastic case, so I can set it on a mixer with global phantom (but I don't see many of those).  I also carry RCA and 1/4" cables for the player.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:48:52 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 09:50:01 PM »

Much of what it is used for does not involve mixers, or at least none with phantom power.  I can drive our Crown I-Tech/VerTec rig with my player.   Great for a test as we remove the caster boards as it flies out.  This is particularly good when we're doing stacks and racks shows - if there is an obvious problem I want to find it before I hand the system over to the BE or client.

I also have a stereo recording, voice that says "Channel 1" on the left, alternating with "Channel 2" on the right.  I can chase lines with this and a Q-box.

Also, my 3.5mm/XLR cable has the audio connections on pins 2 & 3, so without pin 1 there is no phantom.  Player is plastic case, so I can set it on a mixer with global phantom (but I don't see many of those).  I also carry RCA and 1/4" cables for the player.

thanks for the clarification on the 3.5mm - XLR connection.
Good ideas for setup testing.
I like the L-R recording, too.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 09:50:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.