ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping a rack UPS/ FedEx???  (Read 10993 times)

Michael A. Yates

Shipping a rack UPS/ FedEx???
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:56:33 PM »

I have a cheapo eight space rack that I need to ship. It's empty so it's not that heavy. My question is do I need to put it in a box? Or can I ship it as is? Anybody have an idea of the price range I'm looking at or how I would estimate the price?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Shipping a rack UPS/ FedEx???
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 10:00:48 PM »

I have a cheapo eight space rack that I need to ship. It's empty so it's not that heavy. My question is do I need to put it in a box? Or can I ship it as is? Anybody have an idea of the price range I'm looking at or how I would estimate the price?

Thanks
You can probably ship it as is, but I would sure put it in another box just to be safe. Ya know, better safe than sorry.

UPS and FeDex websites both have cost estimators available for you to determine your retail shipping rates. ("retail," meaning some may have the opportunities for better prices based on their relationship with the various shipping providers.)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:23:17 PM »

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will require you to ship it in a box. You can get a shipping estimate by entering the dimensions and approx. weight on their website app.

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:33:23 PM »

I ship road cases regularly via fedex and they do not require a box for a roadcase or pelican. We do put zip ties or locks to keep the lids on and secure so they do not come unlatched.

If you are selling this some someone, you might want to box it up as it will get beat up.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »

If the shipping prices are too astronomical, it might be cheaper to buy a new one off Amazon (with free shipping) and have it drop-shipped.  :o
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 04:15:35 PM »

I ship road cases regularly via fedex and they do not require a box for a roadcase or pelican. We do put zip ties or locks to keep the lids on and secure so they do not come unlatched.

If you are selling this some someone, you might want to box it up as it will get beat up.

They'll ship just about anything so long as all latches/etc are secured. We have several pop-up promo booths we regularly ship out for a client to trade shows and we just slap a label on it and roll it onto the UPS truck. Getting some cardboard to make a custom box wouldn't be a bad idea, or a roll of shrink wrap to at least protect the outside of it. Trolling the dumpsters behind fast food places makes for some decently sized boxes. Some even have cardboard-only dumpsters so you don't have to worry about yesterday's McNuggets molding on top.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:16:29 PM »

you don't have to worry about yesterday's McNuggets molding on top.
Hey! Those McNuggets have plenty of preservatives. They won't be molding for some time now.....

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 07:56:19 PM »

Judging from the various UPS vs. FedEx threads posted here over the years, I gather that quality of service varies widely across the country.  Making some sort of covering for the outside would at least help preserve the rack's current condition.  I ship maybe a dozen items a year and have never had a problem with FedEx. (Since I have a personal grudge against UPS (they flat-out destroyed a family heirloom a few years back) I always use FedEx now, but that's just me.)
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

David Kaiser

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 09:43:41 PM »

I have worked at UPS for 18 years. If you send it UPS without a box, it will get treated as bulk due to the metal on it and an extra handling fee will be charged. A decent box with reinforced sides, top and bottom will avoid this nuisance. If you have any other questions pm me. Make sure that the rack has a tracking number and destination label directly on it as well as on the outside of the box.

For Fedex, I know nothing. Or you can send it USPS

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »

I have worked at UPS for 18 years. If you send it UPS without a box, it will get treated as bulk due to the metal on it and an extra handling fee will be charged. A decent box with reinforced sides, top and bottom will avoid this nuisance. If you have any other questions pm me. Make sure that the rack has a tracking number and destination label directly on it as well as on the outside of the box.

For Fedex, I know nothing. Or you can send it USPS

Expect it to be thrown and tossed around.  (I also worked at UPS.)

Please be aware that unless you have minimum 2" of cushioning on all sides (styrofoam), any damage claims maybe denied.  So pack it well, even if it's just a case.  I've had wooden road cases broken in shipping because it was just put into a box.

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.