ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro X announcement  (Read 16487 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Midas Pro X announcement
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 05:02:55 PM »

Big I/O count, expandable. $42K USD :o

There's GOTTA be some fine print there somewhere...
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

jason misterka

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 05:08:49 PM »

Each channel can only be assigned to one aux and you can only use one aux at a time.

Josh Hana

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 05:36:27 PM »

The ability to upgrade from a Pro3/6/9 is huge. That, and the price tag. Wow.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 06:08:01 PM »

I'm sure that price tag includes no I/O of any kind. Just the surface and engine. Add a few DL431s and DL451s and you'll be north of $70k without breaking a sweat.

However, a great product from Midas. Hopefully the surface and UI design have improved a bit. Thats currently what puts me off the midas consoles...
Riedel Communications

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »

I'm sure that price tag includes no I/O of any kind. Just the surface and engine. Add a few DL431s and DL451s and you'll be north of $70k without breaking a sweat.

However, a great product from Midas. Hopefully the surface and UI design have improved a bit. Thats currently what puts me off the midas consoles...

Yes but add just a couple DL251 (don't get me wrong I think the DL431s are awesome)and your still under 50. Your not going to get anything with similar io for that price!
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 09:33:02 PM »

From the recent research I've done. The 3,6,9 are not as functionally fast on monitors as some other options nor did it really have enough outputs. However the x seems to have fixed that! They definately upped the ch count but really updated the output count!! Looks like you can mix 50 stereo mixes now. I don't need (nor do I really want) to mix 50 sends but if I did if prefer dos Equis.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 09:43:29 PM »

Late summer? OK everybody, don't buy anything from the other guys for the next six months! We promise an amazing console for dirt cheap!!!   :o

Andrew Cunningham

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 01:53:18 AM »

Big Mick introduces the Pro X and Neutron:

http://youtu.be/KuBM4M7tEZg

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 08:04:58 AM »

Looks interesting!

Personally, I'm really not a fan of the Pro1/2/3/6/9/X surfaces (although the output section of the Pro X is an improvement). I also feel like if you wan't to put out an SD7 competitor (although for a lot of reasons, it isn't really...) then you need more than 29 faders on offer, especially when only 16 of them can be for inputs, and stereo things take 2 faders. On a large format desk, I also want full EQ control. I don't want to scroll through bands like I'm on an LS9.

That being said, sonically I love the Midas products, and they have a great feature set, so I'm interested to see where this goes and what the uptake is in the industry. You'd think that given the price point, there will be a lot of XL8s for sale, and every Pro9 (and probably half the Pro6s) will be upgraded to ProX asap.

One of the the interesting things with this product though is that it highlights a downside with the AES50 system when it comes to availability of all those I/O points. Let me explain:

I'm of the opinion that the industry will head further toward modularity. Soon we won't run a 12 pair to the RF rack, we'll have an I/O box in the rack, and it will just sit on our audio 'backbone'. Midas now have a very comprehensive range of boxes to help you get closer to this goal. And the 15X range are very reasonably priced.
However, you have 8 AES50 connections on the Neutron. Thats theoretically 192 in + 192 out. However, its actually impossible to connect that many channels unless you use all DL451s with 8in+8out jack cards. Any other rack combination ends up with a bunch of inaccessible AES50 'paths'
If you use 16x8 DL153 racks, and cable them all redundantly, then you can only get 64 in and 32 out into the engine...
If you use mic splitters, you could say have 3 of them cabled redundantly for 72 inputs, but you'd need the last 2 for some outputs, otherwise you'd have none...
etc...

Equally, at the console end, you only have 3 AES50 ports. So lets say you got a bunch of 431 mic splits, didn't do redundant cabling, and so got yourself 6 splits (144 in). You can't do a virtual soundcheck at FOH, because the most you can get into a recorder is 72ch via the AES50.

So....

I'm excited about Neutron, but I think its capabilities won't be fully realised until you can use the I/O in a better way.
Riedel Communications

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 08:04:58 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.