ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound installation outdoors  (Read 3725 times)

Brian O'Shaughnessy

• Vitamin C Entertainment
Sound installation outdoors
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »

Ok, I've done some searching have not turned up anything yet so I thought I'd post.

I know a restaurant that has built a nice stage on their back patio. They are right now considering having 2x JBL STX835 flown and 2x JBL SRX728 subs a small 6' riser to keep it out of puddles. They would take all the amps and FOH gear into a safe storage area when the speakers are not in use. They would have some sort of fabric custom made that would cover the speakers at night. The projected time frame for this would be 3-4 months of the summer in the Midwest.

They have asked me for input on this and I'm kinda at a loss. This is located in the Midwest. The summers are pretty humid, decent amount of rain, temperatures frequently get close to 100 degree. The stage is covered by a steel awning.

Is this reasonable? I feel like leaving speakers outside for 4 months during the summer just seems like a bad idea? Even if they have really nice covers, I feel moisture would get into the speaker cabinets not to mention direct heat, though the awning would probably help with the heat aspect of it. If anyone has heard of a setup like this or have positive/negative experience let me know! Any input is appreciate, thanks for your time.
Vitamin C Entertainment
http://vcentertain.com

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Sound installation outdoors
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:43:13 PM »

While it wouldn't be great on the cabinets to live outdoors, if they are kept out of direct rain and moisture, and have decent covers, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.  Yes, they will age more from living out in the weather to a degree.  But, if you're doing outdoor shows with your speakers at all, they are already experiencing these conditions, plus they are taking on the wear and tear of being moved around all the time.

When I do outdoor shows, my speakers get covered with weatherproof covers from UnderCover NYC.  They are acoustically transparent, so the covers remain on the cabinets rain or shine.  And my speakers have been in rain more times than I can count, yet still look and sound good as new.

You can get outdoor specific speakers, but often times, the only difference is a weatherproof coating on the speaker cabinet.  The components inside may be identical to the non outdoor counterpart.
Brian Jojade

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 03:47:15 PM »

I would do as Brian suggests and not worry about the cabinets as long as they're taken down before torrential rain storms. The JBLs at the Tweeter Center stay out all summer, and have been for over ten years. If you need suggestions call Charlie Tappa at Pro Soound Service. He installed them.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Craig Hamilton

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 06:50:36 PM »

Ok, I've done some searching have not turned up anything yet so I thought I'd post.

I know a restaurant that has built a nice stage on their back patio. They are right now considering having 2x JBL STX835 flown and 2x JBL SRX728 subs a small 6' riser to keep it out of puddles. They would take all the amps and FOH gear into a safe storage area when the speakers are not in use. They would have some sort of fabric custom made that would cover the speakers at night. The projected time frame for this would be 3-4 months of the summer in the Midwest.

They have asked me for input on this and I'm kinda at a loss. This is located in the Midwest. The summers are pretty humid, decent amount of rain, temperatures frequently get close to 100 degree. The stage is covered by a steel awning.

Is this reasonable? I feel like leaving speakers outside for 4 months during the summer just seems like a bad idea? Even if they have really nice covers, I feel moisture would get into the speaker cabinets not to mention direct heat, though the awning would probably help with the heat aspect of it. If anyone has heard of a setup like this or have positive/negative experience let me know! Any input is appreciate, thanks for your time.

I haven't had the opportunity to try out the new STX series myself, especially the high output 835 cabinet but I bet they will need at least 4x SRX or STX dual 18 subs to keep up with those tops, especially outdoors.

chuck clark

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 08:23:19 PM »

Brian, have you looked at the Community "R" series and "wet" series speakers. They are unsurpassed as a good sounding "weatherproof" spkr.  Reeely weatherproof too! You can leave them outside year round and not have too worry. 
Chuck

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 08:29:27 PM »

+1 on the under cover weather proof covers, I have a system with 8 VRX that lives outside in Philadelphia from April until October and they are not under a roof. They have the covers over them (undercover made me a cover that fits neatly over an array of 4 VRX). So far they are doing really well.

Another tip is to treat your speaker cones with scotch guard it gives them a bit of resistance to humidity and the occasional splash. I just bought a spray bottle and hit all of the cones and then used a hair dryer to seal it in.

I would recommend a permanent shed or structure near the stage for the amp rack, Make sure it has ventilation, or even better a small Air conditioner on it.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 06:55:06 AM »

I haven't had the opportunity to try out the new STX series myself, especially the high output 835 cabinet but I bet they will need at least 4x SRX or STX dual 18 subs to keep up with those tops, especially outdoors.

In addition to the mismatch of tops and subs, depending on the "room" layout the 60 x 40 coverage of those tops may create issues if the seating area extends out past the sides of the stage area.

For the outdoor question I have had a pair of "indoor" Cerwin Vega speakers on my patio for the last 8 years, under a roof but exposed to humidity and temps swings year round in Pennsylvania and have yet to have any issues.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 06:55:06 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.