ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: splitting stereo insert cable?  (Read 9583 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: splitting stereo insert cable?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 06:05:28 AM »

Hello.  Newb here  :o
I have a "can I do this?" question for someone, anyone! I have a Band that plays clubs, and I am using a Carvin 12 channel Mixer with four internal power amps. 1 & 2 are L-R Mains, 3 & 4 are separate Monitor signals. There are four female insert jacks above the corresponding Speaker outputs, one for each of the four Amps. I have limited space in my rack, and a limited budget. I have a dual 31 band EQ that I would really like to employ on both Monitors and Mains if possible. I am interested in using ch 1 for Both L-R Mains, and ch 2 for both Monitor mixes. If I connect the send and return ends of the Insert Cables to the Dual EQ, I come up with two TRS Male plugs that each need to go to two places. Can I split the TRS signal into two separate TRS signals which are identical, effectively allowing me to use one channel of the EQ to be applied to two amp insert points? I was thinking of wiring a special cable to do this, using a Stereo 1/4" Female end, splitting the TRS signal into two Male TRS plugs. Is this possible, and are there any phase or ground issues in wiring something this way? Or have I confused everyone so much that they don't want to hear it anymore? haha. sorry :-[

And this will do what you want in only 1 rack space:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/EQ430

Word of caution, you can not use a TRS to XLR cable to connect the insert jack of the Amp in the mixer to the XLR ins on either of the two devices I mentioned. You'll need to use a standard 1/4" insert cable and then a 1/4" male to XLR adapter on the send plug to go into the input. Has to be done that way even if you're using external amplifiers. TRS insert jack does not function the same as a TRS balanced output.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:25:44 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Jon Ness

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »

And this will do what you want in only 1 rack space:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/EQ430

Word of caution, you can not use a TRS to XLR cable to connect the insert jack of the Amp in the mixer to the XLR ins on either of the two devices I mentioned. You'll need to use a standard 1/4" insert cable and then a 1/4" male to XLR adapter on the send plug to go into the input. Has to be done that way even if you're using external amplifiers. TRS insert jack does not function the same as a TRS balanced output.

Wow thanks guys!
Duane, yes I realize the obvious now, I was a little slow on the concept, but I get it now. Of course I can't combine 2 signals and EQ it and separate them again. Steve is correct it has been mentioned, heh. :-[ FWIW I have a dual 15 band single rack space behringer right now, but I much prefer the 31 band. I don't know why, but I just really like tone shaping with the 31 band as opposed to the 15 band. And yes, right now I am using two dual 31 band EQ's, and each is taking up 2 rack spaces.

Scott. I do like the Behringers, but they are $300 apiece, and I can't afford two of them. But...the Carvin 4 channel EQ looks amazing. I like Carvin better than Behringer anyways, and it looks easier to operate on the fly. I do have to think about changing EQ settings during a song, since I am our guitarist/singer and soundman. Also, I currently use 4 standard insert cables, all with 1/4" males all around, so I don't think connectivity will be an issue. Plus, the Carvin is $349 or so. I am really leaning towards that fella. I ultimately wish to purchase the Carvin 4 channel 2 rack space power amp, too, so I guess I better start saving my money!

Thanks for all your help guys. Much appreciated.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.