ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help With Power Amp/Sub Configuration  (Read 2568 times)

Edgar Hernandez

• It’s all about the experience...
Help With Power Amp/Sub Configuration
« on: March 13, 2014, 12:03:48 PM »

Hi,

In two weeks I will be doing audio for a little organic farmers festival, It will have two stages, The main one its already figure out, my problem is the second stage will be for about 150+ people continuously moving in and out, so there is no need for a really loud set up, it will be only for recorded music and two microphones for announcements every hour or so.
The equipments I have available for this stage is

2 EV XLP15 (tops) active
2 Yamaha SW118v (subs) passive
2 Harbinger APS15 (monitor just for the announcers to listen to themselves)
2 shure sm58
1 Peavey PV6 Mixer

And this is my question, l only have access to

2 Crown NXLS1500 Power amp

I think if I use the 2 Sub stereo on one of these it will be underpowered, so should I bridge it and set up the 2 subs in one channel, or bridge the 2 and one sub per power amp? I know there is an ohm difference, what is the best option?

Again Thank you for you help.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Help With Power Amp/Sub Configuration
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »

Hi,

In two weeks I will be doing audio for a little organic farmers festival, It will have two stages, The main one its already figure out, my problem is the second stage will be for about 150+ people continuously moving in and out, so there is no need for a really loud set up, it will be only for recorded music and two microphones for announcements every hour or so.
The equipments I have available for this stage is

2 EV XLP15 (tops) active
2 Yamaha SW118v (subs) passive
2 Harbinger APS15 (monitor just for the announcers to listen to themselves)
2 shure sm58
1 Peavey PV6 Mixer

And this is my question, l only have access to

2 Crown NXLS1500 Power amp

I think if I use the 2 Sub stereo on one of these it will be underpowered, so should I bridge it and set up the 2 subs in one channel, or bridge the 2 and one sub per power amp? I know there is an ohm difference, what is the best option?

Again Thank you for you help.

You cannot get 2 channels out of a bridged amp.  Bridging turns it into a bigger ONE channel amp.

You don't need subs for the announcers and for background music?  Probably not that, either.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:36:58 PM »

You cannot get 2 channels out of a bridged amp.  Bridging turns it into a bigger ONE channel amp.

You don't need subs for the announcers and for background music?  Probably not that, either.
I was thinking that the announcers probably don't need to hear themselves -- they're just making announcements, not singing in a band, levels won't be that high, and so on- So you may be OK using the subs, not using the t---- I just realised that the Harbingers are powered as well. Stereo is a bit underpowered, as you noticed, and bridging them would be a bit much for each sub. Maybe bridge one amp and use it to drive both subs? Jumper from one to the other. 775w each.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 03:08:50 PM »

I was thinking that the announcers probably don't need to hear themselves -- they're just making announcements, not singing in a band, levels won't be that high, and so on- So you may be OK using the subs, not using the t---- I just realised that the Harbingers are powered as well. Stereo is a bit underpowered, as you noticed, and bridging them would be a bit much for each sub. Maybe bridge one amp and use it to drive both subs? Jumper from one to the other. 775w each.

-Ray

You're gonna have 150 people at best, how big of a power amp do you think you really need to get 80dB SPL throughout the area?  I would think that 100 watts per channel would be plenty!  Do you plan on pushing this thing into clipping?  You'll lose the gig next year for being too loud.  You'll be praised for keeping it low and intelligible.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 03:15:34 PM »

You're gonna have 150 people at best, how big of a power amp do you think you really need to get 80dB SPL throughout the area?  I would think that 100 watts per channel would be plenty!  Do you plan on pushing this thing into clipping?  You'll lose the gig next year for being too loud.  You'll be praised for keeping it low and intelligible.
At the same time, easier to turn 'too much' down then it is to not have the ability to immediately turn it up upon request. Your mileage may vary, but I would rather have the headroom to start with, especially if this is a first time event-- you don't want to be known as someone who wasn't able to handle a request like that.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Edgar Hernandez

• It’s all about the experience...
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »

At the same time, easier to turn 'too much' down then it is to not have the ability to immediately turn it up upon request. Your mileage may vary, but I would rather have the headroom to start with, especially if this is a first time event-- you don't want to be known as someone who wasn't able to handle a request like that.

-Ray
I totally agree Mr. Aberle; and since they are investing a very descent amount of money on the little festival my goal is that people talk about the produce and food and not the audio.
 I will go with the one Power Amp bridged and the two Sub in parallel,  that way I will have a backup power amp.

Thank you all for you help.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.