ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Amp powering off?  (Read 14352 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Guitar Amp powering off?
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »

All the above, PLUS, the guy probably has an effects board the size of Ohio and 500 stomp boxes all fighting against each other. The best way to deal with players like this is to either embarrass them or just punch them in the fucking head.
Don't sugar coat it, Bob!  I think your latter solution would be more effective in that most guitarists are way beyond embarrassment.

Per Mike Sokol's pedal-board:
Anyone else find the humor in the fact the center stomp-box is OCD?

frank

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 03:02:30 AM »

Anyone else find the humor in the fact the center stomp-box is OCD?

Yes.

From the guitarist whose guitar lead goes from his guitar straight to his amplifier (perhaps with a tape echo sitting on the amp).  I have never been a fan of having stuff on the stage floor.

Steve.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »

Yes.

From the guitarist whose guitar lead goes from his guitar straight to his amplifier (perhaps with a tape echo sitting on the amp).  I have never been a fan of having stuff on the stage floor.

Steve.

Even more OT, but what kind of tape echo? I recently rebuilt a Roland Space Echo and gave it to my guitar player as a present. Now I'm building him a 7/15 watt tube amp with triode/pentode switching and multiple gain stages and equalization paths. And I'm building in a tube-soak so he can practice in his home studio without disturbing family. Should be able to recreate the tonal and distortion characteristics of all the various amps he played over the last 40 years. But he doesn't need or want 100 watts anymore since small clubs (or churches) and high-powered tube amps don't get along very well. We figure that 7/15 watts and a great speaker/mic is the way to go.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 08:28:44 AM »

But he doesn't need or want 100 watts anymore since small clubs (or churches) and high-powered tube amps don't get along very well. We figure that 7/15 watts and a great speaker/mic is the way to go.
Of the 3 great guitarists I work with regularly, two use Fender Princetons (12 watts), and the other uses a modeler and goes direct.  If you play in arenas, you can have as much stage volume as you want.  For everybody else, get with the program and choose gear that makes the gig better, rather than ruins it.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 09:36:41 AM »

Even more OT, but what kind of tape echo?

I have a Watkins (WEM) valve (tube) copycat.  It's not an old original one though, they brought out a 'retro' valve model in the 1990s. 

This sits on top of my WEM 17 watt MkIII Dominator amplifier.  Plenty of power for most pubs.  If I need a bit more, I use a Line 6 Flextone (modelling amp - 65 watts).

Then for bigger gigs where everything goes through the PA, I go back to the 17 watt WEM.

I am known locally as the only guitarist who gets asked to turn up instead of down!

I also dabble in valve euipment building and have built a few amps but I have also made valve microphone preamps for recording and I made a nine channel all valve mixing desk for a friend a few years ago.

And back in the 1980s, we had a Roland Space Echo for delay in the hire PA system. Brian Setzer uses one too.

Steve.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:32:15 AM by Steve M Smith »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 10:20:12 AM »

All the above, PLUS, the guy probably has an effects board the size of Ohio and 500 stomp boxes all fighting against each other. The best way to deal with players like this is to either embarrass them or just punch them in the fucking head.

Is it legal to shoot "stoopid guitarists" in the USA?  I think we could call it a mercy killing... mercy for us to not put up with such nonsense.

/satire, sarcasm

I love the instrument but find the wacky, voodoo priestess-required, psychiatrist-optional type of player sometimes really difficult to deal with.  Not because they're batshit wacky, but because they have no sense of ensemble playing and must have "their tone" even if it sabotages the gig or deafens the rest of the band & audience.

And I've said this before, but guitarists can hear stuff that ain't there when they get all misty-eyed about "my tone."  I've stood with string players who can readily demonstrate different tonal palettes, even the most nuanced are discernibly different, but some guitarists hear changes to "my tone" that simply don't exist.

My NYE gig featured a very skilled guitarist who had some awesome sounds... but mostly they didn't work in the arrangements of the songs being performed.  Playing by himself, though, I loved what came out of his amp.   Surely there can be a balance struck.

/rant
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »

I also dabble in valve equipment building and have built a few amps but I have also made valve microphone preamps for recording and I made a nine channel all valve mixing desk for a friend a few years ago.

Veering VERY far OT, I'm threatening to build tube/valve active pickups for an experimental guitar. You can get miniature trioid and pentode tube about as big around as a pencil that were used in hearing aids during the 50's and 60's. The plates need 50 volts and the filaments run on 1.5 volts and they were designed to work from batteries in a pocket hearing aid. Now I can certainly build FET or op-amp pickup and tone circuits instead, but having a guitar with a clear plexi pick guard where you can see the little vacuum tubes glowing inside will be a real hoot. And I'm sure I can make them crunch/distort a bit as well.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 10:31:08 AM »

Veering VERY far OT, I'm threatening to build tube/valve active pickups for an experimental guitar. You can get miniature trioid and pentode tube about as big around as a pencil that were used in hearing aids during the 50's and 60's. The plates need 50 volts

You could probably run them from 48v phantom then! (not the heater though).

Steve.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 10:58:48 AM »

You could probably run them from 48v phantom then! (not the heater though).

Steve.

Yup, that's the plan. If I can make this work I'll publish the plans here for fun. The Brits made a lot of these tubes, as well as the Russians (for fighter jets with hardened electronics that could survive a nuclear EMT pulse). You can find NOS (New Old Stock) hearing aid tubes/valves on eBay for $5 each or so, but of course there's not a lot of practical uses for them. I think that tube-active guitar pickups are just the home for them.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 11:29:14 AM »

Is it legal to shoot "stoopid guitarists" in the USA?  I think we could call it a mercy killing... mercy for us to not put up with such nonsense.

/satire, sarcasm

I love the instrument but find the wacky, voodoo priestess-required, psychiatrist-optional type of player sometimes really difficult to deal with.  Not because they're batshit wacky, but because they have no sense of ensemble playing and must have "their tone" even if it sabotages the gig or deafens the rest of the band & audience.

And I've said this before, but guitarists can hear stuff that ain't there when they get all misty-eyed about "my tone."  I've stood with string players who can readily demonstrate different tonal palettes, even the most nuanced are discernibly different, but some guitarists hear changes to "my tone" that simply don't exist.

My NYE gig featured a very skilled guitarist who had some awesome sounds... but mostly they didn't work in the arrangements of the songs being performed.  Playing by himself, though, I loved what came out of his amp.   Surely there can be a balance struck.

/rant
It's called the guitar solo...   :-)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 11:29:14 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 25 queries.