ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget powered subwoofer comparison advice  (Read 9845 times)

Lance Stewart

Budget powered subwoofer comparison advice
« on: February 10, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »

Morning all...
At this rate you might call me a junk collector..  lol..  I'm in the process of gathering some equipment to enjoy some backyard dj-ing with my family and friend.. nothing more than 100 ppl.  so far i've gathered from CL 2 jbl jrx 115  , a yamaha equalizer, a Hafler 7000 amp (yes i know it's studio equipment) and a numark mixtrack pro and finally..   (don't laugh) a nady psw 18 subwoofer.. 

I've come to the realization that my bass line is woo-fully deplorable...  so now im in the search for a better  (i think the word 'better' is actually giving the nady props) subwoofer and one that can power two satellite speakers. 

So far i have two options..  B52 matrix 1000v2 sub and Seismic Audio Aftershock 18.  While i found a ton of reviews of the b52.. i have found very little on the aftershock 18..  and from reviews on amazon and the SA website it seem to be good..  (they said the same thing about the nady).

Has anybody had any experience with the aftershock and /or b52 ?  Which one do you thing would be a better bet? 

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Budget powered subwoofer comparison advice
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 11:09:17 AM »

Are you buying new or used?

Seismic Audio is just more junk like the Nady and even if it does produce more output I don't see it lasting. You have an amp for the tops so why are you looking for a sub with additional amps built in?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »

Morning all...
At this rate you might call me a junk collector..    so far i've gathered from CL 2 jbl jrx 115 

You're right.  JRX are junk.  Get rid of them ASAP and get something...anything...else.  Look for Yamaha Club series.

I've come to the realization that my bass line is woo-fully deplorable...  so now im in the search for a better  (i think the word 'better' is actually giving the nady props) subwoofer and one that can power two satellite speakers. 

So far i have two options..  B52 matrix 1000v2 sub and Seismic Audio Aftershock 18.  While i found a ton of reviews of the b52.. i have found very little on the aftershock 18..  and from reviews on amazon and the SA website it seem to be good..  (they said the same thing about the nady).

Has anybody had any experience with the aftershock and /or b52 ?  Which one do you thing would be a better bet?

While you might be able to get by with cheaper mid/hi boxes, if you want decent LF sound, then "budget" subs ALL suck.  Whatever you do, avoid anything from Seismic audio...

Sorry to be crabby, but cheap gear will sound....cheap.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

WouterBeneke101

• Supersonic Speaker Hire
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 04:54:35 AM »

Definitely check out behringer's 1500w Sub , It isn't too expensive and since I started using them Everything else sounds mediocre ha ha
 8) 8) 8)
PA hire in the northern beaches and Sydney area
www.northernbeaches-speakerhire.com

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:31:18 AM »

Definitely check out behringer's 1500w Sub , It isn't too expensive and since I started using them Everything else sounds mediocre ha ha
 8) 8) 8)
Hey mate, go back to your profile and update it with your real, full name, per the posting and participation rules here at Pro Sound Web. Thanks!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »

8) 8) 8)
You may want to consider removing the '101' from your display, and putting the space between your names. You know it's your name, and I do (but only cos I whois'd your domain. It expired on Jan 31st, by the way.), but others won't know and you'll get more warnings from Mac.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Lance Stewart

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 08:05:06 AM »

It's seems i'm really looking at equipment from the bottom of the barrel. Well the speakers in question are no longer listed so i guess i will have to wait until i see a next set on CL.

Lance Stewart

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 08:07:55 AM »

Are you buying new or used?

Seismic Audio is just more junk like the Nady and even if it does produce more output I don't see it lasting. You have an amp for the tops so why are you looking for a sub with additional amps built in?
all used...  for now..  I wanted to eventually get rid of my amplifier and and passive speakers..  Having a subwoofer with built in satellite amplifier seem to be a next step forward.  And beside... those were the ones available on CL

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:24:25 PM »

Why not just get a pair of powered tops along with a powered sub?  That way you won't have to always use one with the other.  Like others have already said though, you get what you pay for and cheap speakers generally sound cheap!  Have you checked the used prices for speakers/subs in the QSC K-Series? 

-Jeff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:24:25 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.