ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget FIR?  (Read 6653 times)

john lutz

Re: Budget FIR?
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 06:12:09 PM »

I was going to recomend the Symetrix Jupiter 8.....

http://www.symetrix.co/products/fixed-architecture-standalone-dsp/

......until I saw the large price increase from last year.  Yikes! They were a bargain at under a grand not too long ago.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 11:27:38 PM »

I have used BSS Soundweb Processors and Crown iTechHD amps for direct coefficient entry from Rephase...but they don't really fall into your category of budget.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ernie Montalvo

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 01:14:57 AM »

I have used BSS Soundweb Processors and Crown iTechHD amps for direct coefficient entry from Rephase...but they don't really fall into your category of budget.

Maybe I should be asking a different question...how audible are the benefits of FIR?

I'll just eat up shipping and restocking fees and test one of the options listed. Seems to be no real evidence that it makes a big difference but I'd like to hear for myself.

john lutz

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 09:38:25 AM »

Maybe I should be asking a different question...how audible are the benefits of FIR?

I'll just eat up shipping and restocking fees and test one of the options listed. Seems to be no real evidence that it makes a big difference but I'd like to hear for myself.

It probably depends on how it is used but on my Fulcrum DX1565s the difference is huge.  With factory IIR presets the speakers are merely average.  With the factory FIR presets they are stunning.

Ernie Montalvo

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »

It probably depends on how it is used but on my Fulcrum DX1565s the difference is huge.  With factory IIR presets the speakers are merely average.  With the factory FIR presets they are stunning.

Interesting....my tops will look similar to a Fulcrum. 12"coax and 12" midbass. I will need to add another channel for the midbass to be equal to their implementation.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 09:59:04 PM »

xilica processors have FIR in them, so you can do that as well as the other crossover processing you need all in one unit. Only relatively budget option I know of short of Lake.

k

In my basement studio, I use a Xilica XD4080 as a crossover for a pair of SLS S1266 monitors.  Since it's not a live show, I could careless about latency, so I up the taps to 500.  (50 taps was horrendous, 100 was acceptable, an 200 was very good.)

I had previously used a Yamaha SP2060 speaker processor (also 24bit/96KHz, but no FIR.)  The difference is startling.  First, the midrange totally opened up -- it sounds like the singer is right in front of you.  The SLS are already very revealing with the ribbon driver, but geez, with the FIR filter I heard things that I've never heard before...nuances of the breath, piano hammer, etc.

Perhaps the best part is the music sounds more lively, faster, together -- the transients improved. 

I'm feeding an analog signal into the Xilica, and its analog output drives a couple of class-A amps.  I can only imagine going digital into the Xilica and digital out into an amp.

YMMV, but I'm sold, at least for home stereo, studio monitoring, or music playback where one can tolerate 25ms delay.

JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Ernie Montalvo

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 05:00:28 AM »

Ribbons, phl drivers all around...must be killer.

This has a similar driver complement.

I don't think there will be much room for improvement in your setup at this point!

Ernie Montalvo

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 02:04:53 AM »

Well I tried the old fashion way of linear phase crossovers. I used overlapped LR2 crossovers with cd highpass at 1k and midbass lowpass at 2k then used delay to get everything time aligned. Eq'd the sum to flat.

It is noticeable. The more pure the signal is the more noticeable it is. I imagine it'll be better with steep crossover slopes to avoid to breakup on the midbass and distortion on the cd.

As someone else said it just sounds "more real".

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 06:44:52 PM »

Ribbons, phl drivers all around...must be killer.

This has a similar driver complement.

I don't think there will be much room for improvement in your setup at this point!
Very nice system, although that TV looks a bit out of place.

PHL drivers have great transient.  I think with home audio there's never a limit.  I recently put my preamp on its own medical-grade toroidal isolation transformer (Dale/Fluke) and it upped it another notch.  But as an EE, I don't believe in expensive power cords or cables.

Now that you've heard linear phase, it will be hard to go back.

JR

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 06:44:52 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.