ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Avid Plug In future, was Yamaha Announcement  (Read 13479 times)

Valentyn Pavliuchenko

Re: Re: Avid Plug In future, was Yamaha Announcement
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 03:15:56 AM »

Recoding for AAX DSP hasn't been easy as TDM code was written in arcane assembly language and was completely divorced from the old RTAS code - 2 completely different things. However, AAX and AAX DSP do share some common code, so that has made it easier.

Actually recompiling from AAX Native to AAX DSP in some cases can be done without code modification at all. It's just the way AAX is designed - to not require code rewrite to support a new platform. So the question should be either political or just about amount of testing to be done. (Unless Waves plug-ins are poorly written and are bound to a specific platform).

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 12:33:19 PM »

You're right about needing plugins. I use C6, Vocal Rider, Bass Rider, quite extensively. I hadn't thought about McDSP ML4000 instead, although I do like the sound of it, its the C6 interface that I'm used to. Massey L2007 is a killer limiter, but he doesn't do AAX DSP.

I get you're point about S3L, but I think its just crazy money. A 64ch system is £24k over here, and there is no real way to interface it with bigger systems. For £24k I could buy an SD9 system with 2 racks, Waves integration, and the recording machine, and some nice mics, and flightcases...

Massey has talked about redoing his plugins from TDM to AAX DSP, but right now they are working to get all of their plugins up to AAX. They have a great beta program with new builds almost every week. I would guess once they have all in AAX, they'll then figure out what needs to be in DSP.

Great post on Pro Tools Expert from Michael Carnes (the godfather of lexicon Reverb coding) who now has his own company, Exponential Audio) about how his AAX are optimized so you don't need DSP versions. Interesting thought and shows how far native processing has come. Oh, and his reverbs are crazy good sounding. Download the free demos today to try.
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2014/5/16/better-than-dsp-performance-from-native-plug-ins.html

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:38:14 PM by Mac Kerr »

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:54 PM »

I don't disagree that for the average user, DSP accelerated plugins are now mostly unnecessary. My Macbook Air can handle most of my day to day mixing tasks, letalone a more powerful macbook pro or iMac.

However, this has posed an issue when dealing with the S3L as native processing is not an option.
Riedel Communications

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:54 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.