ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha Announcement  (Read 53061 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Yamaha Announcement
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »

I would expect the street price to be between $6-7K. If that is the case then Yamaha has made their point. There is no other board in that price range with the feature set this board has. As far as comparing it to the M32, there is no comparison, and Yamaha's quality, feature set, and proven reliability, wins hands down.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2014, 01:38:06 PM »

I would expect the street price to be between $6-7K.

My rep from a large reputable vendor quoted me $6,742 for the QL1 and $13,466 for the QL5 this morning. No word yet on availability.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »

I would expect the street price to be between $6-7K. If that is the case then Yamaha has made their point. There is no other board in that price range with the feature set this board has. As far as comparing it to the M32, there is no comparison, and Yamaha's quality, feature set, and proven reliability, wins hands down.
That depends on how narrowly you define the feature set, I suppose.

A GLD80 plus AR2414 is going to be $9K or so, but you get an integrated digital snake, and 30X16 IO, and a more flexible surface and architecture.  A GLD112 plus full snake is going to be less than $15K, and you have 48X24 IO. The GLD architecture has more mix busses, more graphic EQs, etc.  Dante can be added for $1500 or so.  I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but with the new GLD 1.4 software, dynamic EQ, multi-band compression, and a bunch of other stuff has been added that makes for a pretty complete set of outboard.

I suppose if you don't care about the digital snake, the prices are similar.

The only features that I am aware of that are exclusive to the QL are built-in Dugan and file compatibility with CL, but I could be wrong.

Mark Oakley

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2014, 01:54:37 PM »

it might just be the cheapest major digital route to 64 channels possible.

All iLive's are 64/32 capable and priced quite competitively. I should reveal that I have a horse in that race as I ordered a T112/IDR48 this week.

-Mark
Oakley Audio

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »

My rep from a large reputable vendor quoted me $6,742 for the QL1 and $13,466 for the QL5 this morning. No word yet on availability.

OK, I got the numbers wrong. The official quote that I just received is: $6,782 for the QL1 and $13,166 for the QL5. Available in April.

Here's a question. How does everyone feel about the QL1 and QL5 as competitors to Digico's SD11 and SD9?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

David Hart

« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »

Here's a question. How does everyone feel about the QL1 and QL5 as competitors to Digico's SD11 and SD9?
[/quote]

Interested to hear peoples views on this, I have an SD11 and SD9 but would be interested in maybe swapping the SD11 for the QL1 as need more faders.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »

I think that all depends on whether you are buying into Madi or Dante.

Feature-wise they are relatively similar. Digico still has the edge on I/O and processing, especially if you factor in optics.
Riedel Communications

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2014, 04:18:20 PM »

That depends on how narrowly you define the feature set, I suppose.

A GLD80 plus AR2414 is going to be $9K or so, but you get an integrated digital snake, and 30X16 IO, and a more flexible surface and architecture.  A GLD112 plus full snake is going to be less than $15K, and you have 48X24 IO. ....

FWIW, my GLD112 with AR2412 and Dante was about $10K, not 15K. Granted this is when A&H was offering free AR2412s last December.  Although the RND EQ and compressor emulations and the Dugan auto mix are all great software, I don't think they will appeal to the entire target market, which places the price a tad high in my estimate.

It will be interesting to see if Yamaha does anything in the 01V/X32 space, or if they abandon that market. I'm with JR, it's extremely difficult to run both value and luxury brands.  Companies end up leaving features out of the value brand to distinguish the luxury brand, while their value competitors crank out new features without worrying about canabalizing sales from the high end products.
Mark McFarlane

David Hart

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »

Are the A/B faders on a CL console fully assignable?
It would be great if they were on a QL1 as you could have 18 faders on such a compact desk for smaller jobs.
If so may have to sell my SD11 as it only has 12 faders.

Josh Hana

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »

Interested to hear peoples views on this, I have an SD11 and SD9 but would be interested in maybe swapping the SD11 for the QL1 as need more faders.

I've been eyeing the SD9 as our "expensive option" while looking at small/medium scale consoles, but I'd say the QL has the edge over both the 11 and the 9 in terms of features and price. The QL5 with 24 bus and 32 inputs is generally enough for most mid-level monitor gigs, plenty to handle FOH+MON for any local shows, and the Dugan makes it a great option for corporate.

So now it's down to whether the boss wants to spend the money and get that, or look back into something like the QU24 and hold off a bigger purchase until either the PMxD (?) or the next gen of Avid boards.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.