ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning compression drivers help please!  (Read 9766 times)

Alan Singfield

• Black Box Pro Audio
Re: Cleaning compression drivers help please!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 10:02:04 AM »

Also, they will be fitted with an after market diaphragm, as I don't think it's the last time i'll be seeing these. I don't see the sense in fitting a JBL diaphragm to them as the cost would be astronomical (i'm getting quoted £180 for JBL, or £20 for the after market "equivalent"

Normally I would always fit the correct parts. But in this case I think it would just be throwing money away.
Alan Singfield
Sound Engineer/Director
Black Box Professional Audio
Glasgow, UK
www.blackboxproaudio.com

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 11:26:49 AM »

There are real aftermarket diaphragms: Radian and TruExtent, and crapshoot Asian diaphragms.

If you are using the latter this thread should be in the Lounge..

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »

Normally I would always fit the correct parts. But in this case I think it would just be throwing money away.
Alan,

If the aftermarket diaphragms don't sound good and fail easily, they are also throwing money away, test one carefully before replacing the whole batch.

Corrosion X is a really good product for eliminating corrosion and preventing it in the future. It will still require cleaning, but if you spray it on and wait a few hours, you can eliminate 50 to 75% of the cleanup work. It even prevents bi-metallic corrosion, which is a typical problem in drivers, where there is steel, aluminum and titanium and alternating current. Add moisture from condensation (or drinks funneled in  :'(), and you have a science fair project that could be prevented with Corrosion X.

I wish I had known of the stuff when I owned ninety 2445s and sixty 2425s in Minnesota...

Art

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »

However you clean them -- and I think it's worth a try on at least one -- I would give them a spray and wipe of ACF-50 or equivalent to slow down new corrosion in areas where the original anodizing was destroyed. With a bit of finesse they may turn out fine. Good luck. -F

Edit: I just noticed that Art beat me to it. Corrosion X is a lot like ACF-50. -F
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:34:16 PM by Frank Koenig »
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

paul bell

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »

You should be careful of how strong a solvent/cleaner you use. There is a adhesive bonding the magnet together.

And for this reason, you should not dunk or immerse them is a bucket of cleaner. The diaphragm doesn't care what the magnet looks like so long as it sits properly and the gap doesn't have any junk in it.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »

Alan,

What you need to know is that the aluminum surfaces in your pictures are more than dirty, they are exfoliating. The aluminum is flaking / corroding, and the white crap you see is actually exfoliated aluminum. Regardless of what you do metal will be removed as part of the cleaning process.

I wouldn't worry much about the slots as long as they are clean. The voice coil slot can be cleaned using 600 grit wet dry paper followed by 1000 grit wet dry and if you need to get crazy use crocus cloth after that.

Prior to any brushing or sanding of slots I suggest you first purchase a half gallon of Marvel Mystery Oil, brush it all over the drivers and let them sit for a night. You might find you have no need for brushing or sanding after that, or very little at best.

Another product for removing the scaling aluminum and crap can be found at the link below.

https://www.zephyrpro40.com/s2/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=621

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 09:07:41 PM »

Yes and with the cleaning solvents the purpose of the water or alcohol was to ensure the solvents were removed and preventing any further problems with glues and other points in the drivers after cleaned. 

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »

Yes and with the cleaning solvents the purpose of the water or alcohol was to ensure the solvents were removed and preventing any further problems with glues and other points in the drivers after cleaned.
A Dremel tool would be a very good friend to aid cleaning that mess.

paul bell

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »

Hey Bob, other than the phase plug, diaphragm ring and diaphragm cap, I'm pretty sure everything else is steel or iron of some sort. The top and rear plate will not be aluminum.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 03:10:45 AM »

I know that Paul. Dissimilar metals and dirty water equals corrosion. Eventually the metals will bond as they corrode.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 03:10:45 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.