ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small to medium event sub recommendation  (Read 4336 times)

Mal Brown

Small to medium event sub recommendation
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:50:39 AM »

Bass guy and part time sound guy am I...  Migrating towards more and more sound gigs.   Currently I have K10's on a K Sub plus three PRX 612's.  In general, i'll have 2 of the 612's as tops, the other and the k10's as wedges.  I cross at 100 when using the prx tops to emulate what os built into the QsC rig.  Presonus SL 16.4.2, MacBook and Smaart not that it matters...

Ok - not optimal but so far it works...  I won't be singing up for raves, metal, uber-loud classic rock, monster truck slam, etc...  Lot's of light rock, country and acoustic support.  It's more my circle.

Am thinking about going to a pair of 1x18's that will work with the 612's.  As it can get hot here in the summer, I'm thinking passive with maybe not Class D power.  I think for subs, I prefer using an amp with some weight behind it and a big honkin' fan...

There is a possibility that I add passive tops later and dedicate all my powered stuff to wedge use...   

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: Small to medium event sub recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »

Bass guy and part time sound guy am I...  Migrating towards more and more sound gigs.   Currently I have K10's on a K Sub plus three PRX 612's.  In general, i'll have 2 of the 612's as tops, the other and the k10's as wedges.  I cross at 100 when using the prx tops to emulate what os built into the QsC rig.  Presonus SL 16.4.2, MacBook and Smaart not that it matters...

Ok - not optimal but so far it works...  I won't be singing up for raves, metal, uber-loud classic rock, monster truck slam, etc...  Lot's of light rock, country and acoustic support.  It's more my circle.

Am thinking about going to a pair of 1x18's that will work with the 612's.  As it can get hot here in the summer, I'm thinking passive with maybe not Class D power.  I think for subs, I prefer using an amp with some weight behind it and a big honkin' fan...

There is a possibility that I add passive tops later and dedicate all my powered stuff to wedge use...
I wouldn't be so quick to shy away from the PRX718S.  It works well with the PRX612M, and handles heat just fine.  There's a LOT to be said for having the amps and processing built into the subs.  Of course, you'd have to string power to it.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:26:59 PM »

I do those same kind of gigs, and I use 2, or sometimes 4, EV SbA760 15" subs.  These are compact, powered, and seem to work just fine.  Unfortunately, EV has discontinued these, and doesn't really have an equivalent replacement. 

Class D ought to be even better when it gets hot out, since they are more efficient than conventional designs.

If I was in your shoes, assuming there aren't any reports of PRX718s overheating, and you can wrestle them around, I would seriously consider them.

GTD

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »

...and you can wrestle them around...

I should add that I can easily move the 80 lb. PRX718S solo.  They carry very nicely.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:49:54 AM »

In 6 years of running my PRX system I have only had one instance where overheat was an issue. It was mostly my fault. The speaker had been placed outside in direct sunlight for several hours on a 100* deg, day! It worked but would shut down every few minutes. I knew exactly what was wrong and solved the problem quickly. It has never had a problem since. Of course I also know not to allow the amp to sit in direct sunlight. The amp was so hot you could barely touch it!!!!!!! It was not even on........

That being the only fear, I would venture to say that there is nothing to worry about unless you plan on letting the speaker sit in direct sunlight for hours on end in rather hot conditions? I have had other amps shut down from overheating in the past as well. So it is not only a powered speaker issue. Class D amplification is very efficient and reliable in as many ways as the heavy iron amps are. Don't rule them out at least.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »

I should add that I can easily move the 80 lb. PRX718S solo.  They carry very nicely.

Just to clarify, there is no 718S model. They dropped the lower powered versions with the introduction of the 700 series. The 718XLF is the way to go.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »

Just to clarify, there is no 718S model. They dropped the lower powered versions with the introduction of the 700 series. The 718XLF is the way to go.
Yes, PRX-718XLF is what I meant.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.