ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha 01 - NOT 96 any good?  (Read 15830 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Yamaha 01 - NOT 96 any good?
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 11:32:26 AM »

Debbie -

I bought a used 01v several years ago as an upgrade from a Mackie 1642, dbx1046, Lexicon and SPX90 effects, and have been very happy. While the newer 01v96 is much better, the original 01v is still a very capable mixer.

Took it to Advanced Musical Electronics and had the ground issue fixed, so haven't had any problems since. Having 4 aux mixes with recallable motorized faders, parametric EQ and dynamics on all channels and aux outs and mains is a huge plus.

It also is not the easiest mixer to get around, and took me several readings of the manual and setting it up in my garage to learn how to do things for several days so I wasn't trying to do it in the middle of the show.

ADAT cards are under $300 for this, so expandable as well. For our band, it's mostly vocals and a little bit of keyboard to reinforce, so I'm fine with 12 mic pres.

The nice thing about this one is that from what he tells me it never left his studio. It is in mint condition.

I could NEVER take out a board live that I wasn't 100% on top of for the uses I need. Not confident enough. If the Yammy is slow to sell, I'll probably take the time to learn just as much as I need to. Even with my QU16, there are a few routing functions that I am unsure of but why add more to my poor old brain unless I need to?. I'll cross that bridge if and when I get there.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

bruce gering

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »

I cut my "digital teeth" on an original O1V. There are much more capable small format digitals out there now, but at the time it was really cool. I remember waiting for an acoustic  trio to start at a small side stage during a large scale multi-stage event. The poor musos were left with no Tech and an O1V>amp>speakers on sticks. I came up and offered some assistance. They said they had mains but could not figure out how to get their mons going.

I set it up for them and even sprinkled in a little effect on the vocals to the mains.

I remember another instance where I was in an odd shaped room and was getting total cancellation of subs due to the config of the room and the required area to put the stacks. Using the delay feature of the O1V, I was able to back one side of the rig up enough to counter the phase cancellation. Very cool!

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »

Download the manual and enjoy the upstream swim in Yamaha-ese...

Sounds like some of the Kubota shop manuals I dealt with back when I worked in the tractor shop at a local dealer. Somehow important stuff always got lost in translation.  :o

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 02:56:41 PM »

Sounds like some of the Kubota shop manuals I dealt with back when I worked in the tractor shop at a local dealer. Somehow important stuff always got lost in translation.  :o

I don't think it's a Japaneses translation thing, as much as just the way Yamaha writes their manuals.

Having said that, a used 01V was my first digital mixer, and the first thing I did was download and print the manual, and put it in a 3-ring binder that stays in the mixer's roadcase.  I don't look in it all that often any longer, but it's comforting to have it available if I need it.

I don't think the 01V has any advantages over the QU16, if you already own the A&H.  I do still use mine rather than the LS9-32 though, unless I need more in/outs, recallable mic pres, or remote iPad control.  The only sonic problem I have with it is a very slight HF tone on the AUX outputs that only a few musicians with very acute hearing have noticed.  I expect that I will hang onto it until I can find a used LS9-16 for less money that a new X32 would cost.

GTD

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »

I don't think it's a Japaneses translation thing, as much as just the way Yamaha writes their manuals.

That may have been Kubota's problem too; I just know they tended to be hard to understand. They do make some good compact tractors though; I know if I was in the market for one that's what I'd buy.

</topic swerve>

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »

That may have been Kubota's problem too; I just know they tended to be hard to understand. They do make some good compact tractors though; I know if I was in the market for one that's what I'd buy.

</topic swerve>
Yamaha's manuals tend to read like functional references.  If you know what you're trying to accomplish and need to know how the Yamaha implements that function, you're usually OK.  If you are looking for a "getting started guide" you're in trouble.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »

Yamaha's manuals tend to read like functional references.  If you know what you're trying to accomplish and need to know how the Yamaha implements that function, you're usually OK.  If you are looking for a "getting started guide" you're in trouble.

TJ...

As usual, you are a kind and patient fellow.  I would not give the Yamaha manuals more than 3 out of 10.  I think they were written by the advertising department...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

David Parker

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »

My first digital was an LS9. Very easy to go from analog to this mixer. then I bought an 01V for smaller setups. Dinosaur, much harder to navigate and program. Then I bought an 01V96. It's kind of an intermediate between the 01V and the LS9. The '96 is easier to operate, but not as easy as the LS9. I did have problems with the 01V, using it at my church. It would go out for a second from time to time and have to reboot. There is an easy fix, had to open it up and run a ground wire from one spot to another. Looked like I hadn't done anything, but it definitely solved the problem. It's my understanding that they all did not have that problem, it was a manufacturing flaw that all of the didn't get. It's primitive up beside what the market offers now, but it's still a very usable piece. The biggest problem I had with it was that, as someone else said, if you use an expander (and you have to have a card to expand it), the expansion channels only have 2 aux sends and limited eq.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 04:10:14 PM »

Ooops...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »

I have both the 01v and the 01v96. I use the 01v for small outside stuff where weather may be an issue and for larger shows as a side car. I can have 10 channels of digital to send to my 01v96 via 8 adat , 2 spdif. Or 8 adat / 8 spdif 2 channel mix down. If its mint I'd grab it to have as a sub mixer or a not "fair weather" board.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.