ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha 01 - NOT 96 any good?  (Read 15816 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Yamaha 01 - NOT 96 any good?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 10:19:33 PM »

Since we're talking tractors for minute or so,
In a former life, I used to work on diesel engines.
A guy brought in a John Deere Model 80 for an engine rebuild.
A 7.7liter diesel twin, bore/stroke 6.125"x 8" - the "starter" was a v4 gasoline pony motor.  The pony was started with a 6v electric starter.
Red line of 1125 rpm.
As I recall the flywheel was a little more than shoulder width.

No mower deck - A true sodbuster!

David Parker

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 10:31:33 PM »

The original 01v could make a fine in ear board for a low input combo or group.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
I provided for a national level Christian band several years back that traveled with two 01v for their in ears. They linked them some kind of way. All I did was provide a split to them, their drummer ran the monitor mixer

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 01:21:16 AM »

Since we're talking tractors for minute or so,
In a former life, I used to work on diesel engines.
A guy brought in a John Deere Model 80 for an engine rebuild.
A 7.7liter diesel twin, bore/stroke 6.125"x 8" - the "starter" was a v4 gasoline pony motor.  The pony was started with a 6v electric starter.
Red line of 1125 rpm.
As I recall the flywheel was a little more than shoulder width.

No mower deck - A true sodbuster!

My dad has an old H model Farmall and I worked on a '38 John Deere Model A in high school as an AG Mechanics project. The model A was started by hand turning the flywheel; you had to roll it over to you hit the compression stroke then "throw" it over pretty hard and get your hands out of the way. Those old JD diesels are pretty awesome though! I never got to work on one of them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running  Paranoid Android 4.1 Beta using Tapatalk Pro

Lyle Williams

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014, 02:30:45 AM »

I hadn't seen this thread, but I did see a 01v on ebay today.  I bid 575, it went for 585.  Yes, gear is more expensive here in Oz.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »

I'm with the other guys here. Buy it from your friend if you have the funds and use it as a back up/submixer or a second for small events that only require a handful of inputs and a couple of outputs. They are still very powerful mixers.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 08:01:26 PM »

The primary thing about the 01v series is how configurable they are.  I'd offer examples but I use the 01v96II more often and there are enough differences between them I'm certain to attribute functions of the '96 to the original.

Download the manual and enjoy the upstream swim in Yamaha-ese...

We have owned quite a few.  Great for set-and-forget situations in places like amusement parks where things just need to work reliably for a whole summer, etc.  Would otherwise have used mixpad-style mixers but the Yammies have comp, FX, etc, and I trust them.

The 01v are all sold now as well as the 03D that saw similar service.  The 01v96 are slowly filling the same slot as the previous generation Yammies now that the LS9s are gradually taking over for previous 01v96 duties.

One thing I really liked about the 01v that I miss on the 01v96 is how the master fader changed to to be the aux master of whatever aux send you flipped the faders to to be! :)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 10:44:42 PM »

I'll drop the price on the mixer on CL but if it doesn't sell within the next couple of weeks, maybe it will be a sign for me to keep it....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »

So it didn't sell yet and I have spent some time playing with it. Dangerous really 'cos now I really like this board and want to keep it.
Over the past few years I must have been in an analog fog because I am amazed at just how much this 1998 digital mixer will do. It is really quite an eye opener for me. It might not be as purrty as my QU16 and not quite as easy to navigate but it will do almost ??? as much as my QU16 with 16 year old technology.
I think I'll sell my mixwiz (sigh) 'cos I can't keep everything and use this one as my spare. I've sold most of my rack gear now so at least I'd have on board dynamics as well as FX.
I have a small PV10 that I could use in a pinch if I had to use analog for whatever reason. 4 mixers is just too much for li'l ole me to hold on to. Toys to buy, equipment to recycle......GAS GAS GAS....

I am surprised it didn't sell though. I thought these mixers were known to be reliable and at $425 (willing to accept offers) I figured it was  steal. I had 3 calls on it but no follow up.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »

So it didn't sell yet and I have spent some time playing with it. Dangerous really 'cos now I really like this board and want to keep it.
Over the past few years I must have been in an analog fog because I am amazed at just how much this 1998 digital mixer will do. It is really quite an eye opener for me. It might not be as purrty as my QU16 and not quite as easy to navigate but it will do almost ??? as much as my QU16 with 16 year old technology.
I think I'll sell my mixwiz (sigh) 'cos I can't keep everything and use this one as my spare. I've sold most of my rack gear now so at least I'd have on board dynamics as well as FX.
I have a small PV10 that I could use in a pinch if I had to use analog for whatever reason. 4 mixers is just too much for li'l ole me to hold on to. Toys to buy, equipment to recycle......GAS GAS GAS....

I am surprised it didn't sell though. I thought these mixers were known to be reliable and at $425 (willing to accept offers) I figured it was  steal. I had 3 calls on it but no follow up.

I paid around $450 for my first 01v, an original model.  I still have it and still use it.  At the time I considered $450 to be the cost of a 1 day training session and figured I got a free mixer out of the deal ;).

The biggest downfall/upside for the entire 01v* line is that they're very configurable.  It's easy to get lost or make mistakes when your setup deviates from the default.  The flip side is you can do stuff with it that very few compact mixers would be able to do for 15 years.

A guess is that if the price was dropped to $350, it will sell.  I were buying for myself, today, I'd hold out for one of the 01v96 variants (they do more).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 04:49:21 PM »

I paid around $450 for my first 01v, an original model.  I still have it and still use it.  At the time I considered $450 to be the cost of a 1 day training session and figured I got a free mixer out of the deal ;).

The biggest downfall/upside for the entire 01v* line is that they're very configurable.  It's easy to get lost or make mistakes when your setup deviates from the default.  The flip side is you can do stuff with it that very few compact mixers would be able to do for 15 years.

A guess is that if the price was dropped to $350, it will sell.  I were buying for myself, today, I'd hold out for one of the 01v96 variants (they do more).

Would have been nice but the 01v96 really holds its value I see on ebay etc.  This one is silly affordable and that is why I am considering it. I don't need another digital desk but I know he'll work with me money wise.
I'll probably not get too bogged down with routing and configuration for my needs so I'll keep things simple. After all, it will only be used as a back-up for my QU16.

I just dropped it one last time on CL to $375 - no-one ever offers asking price so it is about right now. I'll give it a few more days and if it doesn't sell, it's mine. It is in the hands of the Gods....
I put my mixwiz on there too so let's see which one sells first....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 04:49:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.