ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha 01 - NOT 96 any good?  (Read 15818 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Yamaha 01 - NOT 96 any good?
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:15:15 AM »

So, a friend of mine has asked me to sell his Yamaha 01v (not the 96 version) for him on CL.
I thought it would be a good chance for me to check it out.  I've never come across one before and I realize it is quite an old model of digital technology so I was intrigued to check it out. Also, it would be easier to sell it if I know what the heck I'm talking about.
It appears to be very well built and so far all I have been able to do is put an ipod through it. Sounds good.
However, maybe I have been spoiled with the newer technology in my QU16 and only having used analog prior to now because i am having a tough time working out how to use this thing.  The screen reminds me of the old sequencers and drum machines I used to use - flashing cursors and such. I can find a manual online but oh boy....it is quite a lot to learn.
I had considered buying it from him if I could find a use for it but not sure I want to put the time into learning it up...I have read that the 96 is the improved version but are these earlier consoles any good?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:17:22 AM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Yamaha 01 - NOT 96 any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 10:21:09 AM »

So, a friend of mine has asked me to sell his Yamaha 01v (not the 96 version) for him on CL.
I thought it would be a good chance for me to check it out.  I've never come across one before and I realize it is quite an old model of digital technology so I was intrigued to check it out. Also, it would be easier to sell it if I know what the heck I'm talking about.
It appears to be very well built and so far all I have been able to do is put an ipod through it. Sounds good.
However, maybe I have been spoiled with the newer technology in my QU16 and only having used analog prior to now because i am having a tough time working out how to use this thing.  The screen reminds me of the old sequencers and drum machines I used to use - flashing cursors and such. I can find a manual online but oh boy....it is quite a lot to learn.
I had considered buying it from him if I could find a use for it but not sure I want to put the time into learning it up...I have read that the 96 is the improved version but are these earlier consoles any good?
They are worth maybe $350 or so if they are fully functional.  The 01v96 is a SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful mixer, and those are going for $900 or so used. 

The big gotchas on the silver 01vs are:
- Potential rebooting issue if they are bumped - fixable by taking apart and tightening a ground screw, IIRC
- Channels 17-24 are not full-featured
- Only 20-bit D/A converters on OMNI out - with bad gain structure, the output sounds digital-ey.
- Only 4 true aux-sends plus the 2 effects sends

Unless money is really tight, I'd pass.  The oldest models are about 16 years old.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »

They are worth maybe $350 or so if they are fully functional.  The 01v96 is a SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful mixer, and those are going for $900 or so used. 

The big gotchas on the silver 01vs are:
- Potential rebooting issue if they are bumped - fixable by taking apart and tightening a ground screw, IIRC
- Channels 17-24 are not full-featured
- Only 20-bit D/A converters on OMNI out - with bad gain structure, the output sounds digital-ey.
- Only 4 true aux-sends plus the 2 effects sends

Unless money is really tight, I'd pass.  The oldest models are about 16 years old.

Thanks for the info Tom. I'll pass on it for myself then I think.  Shame its not the 01v96.
He isn't expecting much out of it. I have it listed right now for $450 priced to take offers. Maybe I have it a little on the high side. I'll see how that goes and adjust accordingly.
I hope if anyone calls and is interested, they'll know how to check it out and save me some reading........ :-\
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 10:39:30 AM »

TJ hits the salient points.  Those all said, it's still a competent little mixer with SPX-90 efx.  I still see some of these come through as IEM mixers for small acts.

There are smaller/lighter/less capable new mixers out there for more $$.  If you have a need for a very flexible mixer it's a decent choice for $350, give or take.  If you buy it and decide later you don't need, want or like it, you'll probably get 100% of your investment back.

My 01v has been rock solid, as has my 01v96II.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »

Also, my friend doesn't know its age but there is a date code? on the back - MP00. Checking out images online I see those numbers vary anywhere from 96 to 00. Is it safe to assume it is 2000 model???

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 10:45:17 AM »

Also, my friend doesn't know its age but there is a date code? on the back - MP00. Checking out images online I see those numbers vary anywhere from 96 to 00. Is it safe to assume it is 2000 model???

What I recall about Yamaha date codes is that they're not obvious... a call to Yamaha in California should get you a correct answer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 10:46:27 AM »

TJ hits the salient points.  Those all said, it's still a competent little mixer with SPX-90 efx.  I still see some of these come through as IEM mixers for small acts.

There are smaller/lighter/less capable new mixers out there for more $$.  If you have a need for a very flexible mixer it's a decent choice for $350, give or take.  If you buy it and decide later you don't need, want or like it, you'll probably get 100% of your investment back.

My 01v has been rock solid, as has my 01v96II.

Good to know. I think if it was either 1) easier to learn or 2) a diamond in the rough, I would keep it.......heck I might just do that.......I gotta stop this......GAS again.....
Maybe I'll just take my time and browse the manual each day and if I can use it I'll do so till it sells....

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »

Good to know. I think if it was either 1) easier to learn or 2) a diamond in the rough, I would keep it.......heck I might just do that.......I gotta stop this......GAS again.....
Maybe I'll just take my time and browse the manual each day and if I can use it I'll do so till it sells....

The primary thing about the 01v series is how configurable they are.  I'd offer examples but I use the 01v96II more often and there are enough differences between them I'm certain to attribute functions of the '96 to the original.

Download the manual and enjoy the upstream swim in Yamaha-ese...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 11:06:18 AM »

The primary thing about the 01v series is how configurable they are.  I'd offer examples but I use the 01v96II more often and there are enough differences between them I'm certain to attribute functions of the '96 to the original.

Download the manual and enjoy the upstream swim in Yamaha-ese...

Ironically your comment about confusing the mixer you use regularly  with one you do not reminds me ....
Yesterday I sold the last of my EON series speakers - I am officially EON free!!
Anyhoo.....the guy I sold it to has bought a few items from me in the past and asked if I had a few moments to answer some questions for him regarding his mixwiz as he knows I have one too. I was happy to help.
It seems I am so steeped in the workflow processes of my QU16, that I had a brain fart when he was asking me about certain functions and routing capabilities of the mixwiz.
6 months ago I could have answered him on everything but I came across as bit of a dufus I think.....oh how quickly I have forgotten.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 11:12:06 AM »

Debbie -

I bought a used 01v several years ago as an upgrade from a Mackie 1642, dbx1046, Lexicon and SPX90 effects, and have been very happy. While the newer 01v96 is much better, the original 01v is still a very capable mixer.

Took it to Advanced Musical Electronics and had the ground issue fixed, so haven't had any problems since. Having 4 aux mixes with recallable motorized faders, parametric EQ and dynamics on all channels and aux outs and mains is a huge plus.

It also is not the easiest mixer to get around, and took me several readings of the manual and setting it up in my garage to learn how to do things for several days so I wasn't trying to do it in the middle of the show.

ADAT cards are under $300 for this, so expandable as well. For our band, it's mostly vocals and a little bit of keyboard to reinforce, so I'm fine with 12 mic pres.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 11:12:06 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.