ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Radial Engineering ProAV2 alternative  (Read 8824 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: Radial Engineering ProAV2 alternative
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 06:52:50 AM »

Line out or headphone out should drive any XLR mic input to FULL TILT BOOGIE with no problem at all.  You have something else FUBAR like input cables...

I think you must be right, the only thing common with all my attempts that did not inclued the 1/8" stereo to XLR(which fried the headphone amp in one of my Ipads due to Phantom power being on) was a pair of RCA to 1/4" adapters that I have.

I'm shocked no one else has experienced this phantom power frying headphone amp problem. I had never heard about it until it happened to me and then searched the net and discovered that is quite common.

I'm afraid to use the XLR inputs again because of that phantom power issue, so I opted to use the 1/4 " inputs. I had a bunch of 1/8" stereo to dual RCA cables laying around and bought a pair of RCA to 1/4 adapters since I could not find any 1/8 stereo to dual 1/4 cables locally.  I did try swapping out various 1/8 stereo to RCA cable but always have been using the same 1/4 adapters. 

I bet that $3.00 item is the problem. Makes sense since I never had any issues with my other board that has the RCA inputs on it.

Just ordered one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HGM1D6/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_C

Thanks everyone for helping me think this thru and avoid buying a $169 DI that I might not need.(Well, you know I'll get one eventually just because it's a cool toy to have in the bag)
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 09:50:11 AM »

I have a DL1608 and run my iPod into Channels 15 and 16 using 1/8" Stereo male to 2 (L&R) XLR. No issues with levels. Preamp gains usually set around 3:00. Also have a Radial AV2, works just as well and gives me the option of lifting the ground (I sometimes have to feed audio from a laptop). Have not had any issues running +48v Phantom power (it is global on the 1608).

I would bet that if you go into the combo jack on 15 and 16, that the XLR portion has phantom and the 1/4" does not. 

Also, there has been plenty of discussion on shorting Pins 1 and 3 together when making and 1/8" to stereo RCA cable. I do.  If you don't, then setting your ipod or whatever on the mixer could complete the 48V circuit. The proper cable would have capacitors to block the DC voltage, has well as having twisted pair wiring for both the left and right from the 1/8" connector onward.  There was a lengthy discussion on the syn-aud-con list serve maybe two years ago to reference if you have a membership.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 11:20:01 AM »

Thanks everyone for helping me think this thru and avoid buying a $169 DI that I might not need.(Well, you know I'll get one eventually just because it's a cool toy to have in the bag)

You could use one of these - small, transformer isolated (safe with phantom), mixed to mono, gain and ground lift.  Can get them for $59 plus ship from a number of sources.
http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=1062

frank

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »

I have 3 Radial AV1's and 3 AV2's and they're great. If you need a DI for stereo sources and you want summing capability, get the AV1, if you want it stereo all the way through get the AV2. I have a need for each sometimes, so I have both.

Also, pins 1&3 should always be shorted when connecting an unbalanced source to a balanced input. The cable you bought essentially does that automatically, since the sleeve will make contact with the ring as well as the sleeve on the input to your console.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.