ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ultra compact powered subwoofers  (Read 12990 times)

John Rutirasiri

Re: Ultra compact powered subwoofers
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 12:01:22 AM »

Another option could be the K-Array KL21ma powered sub.  The brand should be well-known in Europe and the rest of the world (not so much here in the States.)  It has a 21" neo driver that supposedly can do 132dB SPL program and goes down to 30Hz @ -3dB.  I've never personally measured it, but it does not seem it goes that low. 

Very pricey here in the US.  Weighs 85lbs and at 230 liters, it's bigger than what you want, but nonetheless still a a petite sub at 22" w x 22" h x 31" deep.   I have no issue lifting it by myself.

Good luck,
JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 06:37:28 AM »

Have you ever ran into a gig where you wished you had the 2nd DXS12? It sound like from what you are saying that 1 DXS12 reinforces a live drumkit quiet well in a small bar sized venue?

One has always been sufficient for the rooms we play in, however bear in mind I crossover at 90 hz, shelve the low end at around 50hz and have my tops and subs time aligned so there's the least amount of cancellation at my crossover freq. We also do not mix "bass heavy", instead opting for true sound reinforcement( natural sounds , only amplified) with just a little extra push on the kick. 

In your original post you stated that you think 2 of the Alto 15 subs might get the job done. They claim the same max SPL (126)as the two 12" EVs I have. The DXS claims max spl of 131. I think my DXS gets twice as loud as one of my EVs easily in the real world.  For the price (699 US) and size (28in x27in x 20in) I don't think it has any real competition there. And in theory, should be a perfect match for the DXR-10 since they're the same line.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Steve O'Connor

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 05:56:05 AM »

Vue audio has some new and interesting small subs.

Thanks for the suggestion, As of yet I'm not aware of anywhere of dealers near me, I'll have a look into them.

Another option could be the K-Array KL21ma powered sub.  The brand should be well-known in Europe and the rest of the world (not so much here in the States.)  It has a 21" neo driver that supposedly can do 132dB SPL program and goes down to 30Hz @ -3dB.  I've never personally measured it, but it does not seem it goes that low. 

Very pricey here in the US.  Weighs 85lbs and at 230 liters, it's bigger than what you want, but nonetheless still a a petite sub at 22" w x 22" h x 31" deep.   I have no issue lifting it by myself.

Good luck,
JR

I've seen quite a few places selling these though I have never had the chance to give them a listen, I may change that,
While the KL21a is a tad bigger than my cubos the KL18 and KMT18 look fit the size/weight limits, I will definitely give these subs a listen.

One has always been sufficient for the rooms we play in, however bear in mind I crossover at 90 hz, shelve the low end at around 50hz and have my tops and subs time aligned so there's the least amount of cancellation at my crossover freq. We also do not mix "bass heavy", instead opting for true sound reinforcement( natural sounds , only amplified) with just a little extra push on the kick. 

In your original post you stated that you think 2 of the Alto 15 subs might get the job done. They claim the same max SPL (126)as the two 12" EVs I have. The DXS claims max spl of 131. I think my DXS gets twice as loud as one of my EVs easily in the real world.  For the price (699 US) and size (28in x27in x 20in) I don't think it has any real competition there. And in theory, should be a perfect match for the DXR-10 since they're the same line.

Thanks Scott,

In theory  :)
I will add these to the list of subs to try before I buy, these sound like the least expensive option to get the desired SPL in given size/weight so I will judge with my ears weather they sound good doing it.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 11:22:34 AM »

I've been looking at the exact same rig for a similar application (wedding band). I'm not totally convinced with the DXS12 sub. It's certainly loud enough for what we're doing, but definitely needs some EQ to fix its inherent (bandpass) boominess. It doesn't quite go as low as I'd like, and it just doesn't seem to sound particularly 'tight'.

Yorkville has the new PS15S, which is slightly smaller than the DXS12, has a single 15" driver in a reflex design, and a higher power rating than the Yamaha. Of course it's quite a bit more money. I'll probably give it a try anyway.

Steve Garris

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 01:18:07 PM »

The DXS claims max spl of 131. I think my DXS gets twice as loud as one of my EVs easily in the real world.  For the price (699 US) and size (28in x27in x 20in) I don't think it has any real competition there. And in theory, should be a perfect match for the DXR-10 since they're the same line.

There's the JBL PRX715xlf. It's 21.5" x 17.5" x 22.5". The real difference is the weight. The JBL 15" tips the scale at 56 lbs, vs the Yamaha at 73 lbs. The JBL will cost more, but consider the weight.

I own a pair of their 18" xlf's, and they sound great to my ears (mixing an 80's Hair Metal band in small rooms).

Steve O'Connor

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 02:07:38 PM »

I've been looking at the exact same rig for a similar application (wedding band). I'm not totally convinced with the DXS12 sub. It's certainly loud enough for what we're doing, but definitely needs some EQ to fix its inherent (bandpass) boominess. It doesn't quite go as low as I'd like, and it just doesn't seem to sound particularly 'tight'.

Yorkville has the new PS15S, which is slightly smaller than the DXS12, has a single 15" driver in a reflex design, and a higher power rating than the Yamaha. Of course it's quite a bit more money. I'll probably give it a try anyway.

The Yorkville looks good on paper, unfortunately they are almost non existant over here but again I will keep on a lookout for them Thanks

There's the JBL PRX715xlf. It's 21.5" x 17.5" x 22.5". The real difference is the weight. The JBL 15" tips the scale at 56 lbs, vs the Yamaha at 73 lbs. The JBL will cost more, but consider the weight.

I own a pair of their 18" xlf's, and they sound great to my ears (mixing an 80's Hair Metal band in small rooms).
Hi Steve,

The PRX715xlf is another unit that's on my list and looks very good on paper, do you have any experience with the 15?

JBL isn't the most popular over here, their low end stuff does be around but it's rare to see their high end boxes (although I do believe there are a dealer or 2 here in Ireland)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 02:07:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.