ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX700  (Read 3629 times)

Matt Stoneback

• Eddy Sound
JBL PRX700
« on: March 04, 2014, 01:48:48 AM »

After searching the PSW and seeing a few posts about the PRX700 series I decided to try and word my questions concisely as to not beat a dead horse. Here is what I am wondering from any current user of these boxes (712, 715, 718XLF in particular);
  • Truly how bad is the fan noise? I have stopped by a local Guitar Center and checked out the boxes and I have heard the fan noise personally but what I really want to know is how it affects gigs. Does it really just matter as to what content is coming through the speakers (rock concert versus acoustic show)? If my program volume level is going to be at a consistent loud level (subjective I know) will the fans even be at play? What if I am using 6 PRX700 models on stage as monitors, will the musicians notice and be annoyed? Better yet, will the audience notice and be annoyed?
  • Since I just mentioned it, how bad do you view the wedge angle on the 715/712 models? Is it so bad that another box should be considered? I will admit that when I went and saw them in person I felt the angle was just off. I checked this due to hearing from many people on this forum as well as others talk about JBL's miss on the angle. They appear to me as if they would be terrible on small stages. All I could envision was the sound hitting the performer's ankles and knees, not their ears. I was thinking of possibly making a wedge of some sort to put under the front of the box to lift the angle enough to get them positioned at the "correct" and useful angle. Bad/good idea?
  • Last question. Has anyone had any issues with the pole mounts on the 715 or 712? I read on another forum or group that due to the weight distribution in the boxes, a shim of some sort needs to be wedged in the pole/socket to straighten the box. I read that if you do not do this, the box has a slight angle/tip on it when pole mounted. I have not been able to test this so I am unsure if it is true. I guess I would be surprised if this was the case but I figured it was safer to ask than assume.
With all of that said, I do like the sound of the PRX700 series. I have some 635s and 618XLFs and have found them to be very useful in my applications. If they had not been discontinued I would have most likely purchased 625s/612s. I am looking to expand my inventory and would like to stay in the JBL line of powered boxes but became slightly worried when I began reading reviews of the new 700 series on the web. Instead of making assumptions, I went and took a look at the new boxes myself and decided to post on the PSW to get some professional opinions. Any of your 2 cents is greatly appreciated.
Matt Stoneback
Owner, Eddy Sound & Rokbox Entertainment

Thomas Le

Re: JBL PRX700
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 09:24:48 AM »

Not sure if they fixed the thermal issue with the previous PRX600, but the Yamaha DSR112 on DSR118w has been proven reliable and sound great for an MI box. At least JBL fixed the goofy wedge angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:55:44 AM »

Been using 618 XLf's for over two years - no "thermal issue".  I have not used the 700 series but would not hesitate to buy them

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »

Fan noise is definitely relevant to usage.  If you're playing rock music, a little bit of noise floor would not be noticeable.  However, if you're doing a speaking event in a house of worship, even the slightest extraneous noise can be heard by some and should be avoided whenever possible.

Wedge angle is never perfect.  It would be cool if speaker designers could design a cabinet with an angle adjuster built in.  Until then, using appropriately placed audio logs*, the angle can be easily adjusted to your needs.

*Audio logs are simply 1' pieces of 2X4 either painted black or wrapped in gaff.  If you can't find them in your local store, I'll gladly sell some to you for the low low price of $19.95 each.
Brian Jojade

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 01:43:37 PM »

To put fan noise in perspective, I often have up to 8 lights onstage with fans that are of the "always fully on" type (which I believe is the type in the 700 series). When there's no one in the club and I turn those things on - yeah you can hear them. Once even a dozen or so people show up, their noise fades into the ambiance of the club. Once we hit even 40-50, they disappear completely - even between songs.

Most of the complaints I've read online are from people who complain that they are loud in their living rooms. 

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »

JBL Just can't seem to get the monitor angle right! I have a 600 series PRX rig and I think it sounds the best of all portable systems I've run. I can't speak to the fan noise though, other than what I've read online.

For monitors consider the Yamaha DSR112 (not DXR), as mentioned above. It gets crazy loud and the angle is perfect at 50 deg (only the 12"). I have 2 and plan to add 2 more to my JBL rig. Check with Mike Pyle on this site for an excellent price on these.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.