ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing QSC with RCF rig  (Read 15995 times)

Ryan Hammond

Re: Replacing QSC with RCF rig
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »

The KWs are awesome sounding and not too heavy. With my old band, we set up the old Peavey silver striped SP2s... those were HEAVY! All of these new cabs these days are very light in comparison.

That said, the Turbosound Siena series would stomp the KW series in SPL and even be a contender in sound quality—while being lighter than the KW series.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »

The KWs are awesome sounding and not too heavy. With my old band, we set up the old Peavey silver striped SP2s... those were HEAVY! All of these new cabs these days are very light in comparison.

That said, the Turbosound Siena series would stomp the KW series in SPL and even be a contender in sound quality—while being lighter than the KW series.

They do sound good for sure, but moving them around myself can be a PITA.  Plus I'd like to try something different, and if all goes according to plan I'll be selling these to a local club to replace their pieced-together system.  When you're a one-man operation, making everything a quick in and out makes a world of difference, especially if the band is wasted and doesn't want to help...
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Ryan Hammond

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »

They do sound good for sure, but moving them around myself can be a PITA.  Plus I'd like to try something different, and if all goes according to plan I'll be selling these to a local club to replace their pieced-together system.  When you're a one-man operation, making everything a quick in and out makes a world of difference, especially if the band is wasted and doesn't want to help...

Oh, for sure! We all helped each other set up and tear down, so it wasn't a biggie. Now, I know the Turbosound Milan series is on the shelves now, but they are more for smaller venues. I would wait and hear the new Siena or iQ series when they hit the stores since they are going to have twice the power and capability. The Turbosound speakers weigh around 40-60lbs for the mains and 80-105lbs for the subs (depending on size).

Turbosound is renowned for their large format arrays and they use the same Klark Teknik DSP for their smaller speakers. I just heard the Milian MI5 A/B'ed against the QSC K12 and the MI5 sounded smoother and warmer... The KW153 would kill the MI5, but that's why I recommend the Siena or iQ15 (the Siena puts out 136dBA at peak).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:04:26 PM by Ryan Hammond »

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 08:53:54 PM »

Oh, for sure! We all helped each other set up and tear down, so it wasn't a biggie. Now, I know the Turbosound Milan series is on the shelves now, but they are more for smaller venues. I would wait and hear the new Siena or iQ series when they hit the stores since they are going to have twice the power and capability. The Turbosound speakers weigh around 40-60lbs for the mains and 80-105lbs for the subs (depending on size).

Turbosound is renowned for their large format arrays and they use the same Klark Teknik DSP for their smaller speakers. I just heard the Milian MI5 A/B'ed against the QSC K12 and the MI5 sounded smoother and warmer... The KW153 would kill the MI5, but that's why I recommend the Siena or iQ15 (the Siena puts out 136dBA at peak).

Personally I don't trust the SPL numbers that most manufacturers post, and there is still something about Behringer "owning" Turbosound that I don't like, I have heard they are good speakers, but I haven't heard personally. One of the local restaurants is trying to buy a Turbosound system though, so if they do get one I'll go take a look, but I'm still liking the idea of an RCF rig. At least it will be a bit more portable.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 11:18:26 AM »

I would suggest trying a KW122 on top if you have 2 KW181s on the bottom. I think you'll find that it will sound fine, and wrestling a KW122 on top will be a lot easier and you won't lose much frequency wise. If you like the KW153 because you use those as standalones, different story.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 11:18:26 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.