ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante recording has spikes (& simple Dante setup discussion)  (Read 56964 times)

Kieran Walsh

• Audinate
Re: Dante recording has spikes
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »

OP here...

I had my first successful Dante recording Thursday night.  18 channels of a "Big Band" jazz concert recoded through GLD Dante to MacBook Pro and Cubase.

I think my configuration was: Setting the GLD112 to use it's internal clock, and the Dante option card to "Enable Sync To External", single cable from Mac Pro to the Dante primary port on GDL Dante option card.

Unfortunately, I can't verify exactly what my configuration was because Thursday night Dante Controller would not tell me who the master was (Master Unknown). Dante Controller wouldn't tell me IP addresses, or any information on any devices other than they were 'green'.  Routing was about the only thing that worked in Dante Controller.  I rebooted console and computer,... still Dante Controller (laster version 3.5.0.36) didn't work as expected.

I'll reconnect everything in the shop this coming week and see if I can get Dante Controller to work again.

Anyway , the recording appears to be good.  I wasn't paid to record so I don't know if or when I'll get around to mixing the tracks, I just used this event as a test of my my new recording setup (GLD, Dante, MacBook Pro, Cubase) and it was partially successful but didn't instill a lot of confidence (yet).  That's why we run trials :)

Mark... I think this is an issue that we have just discovered- so have no problems sharing it.

You are using an Apple - Can you confirm that you installed Dante Virtual Soundcard, after installing Dante controller 3.5?

There is a small case of version issues here and it sounds exactly like one of the symptoms. Dante Virtual Soundcard for Mac uses an older version of one of our services than Dante controller expects. This means that a few things may "go missing" from Dante controller. The solution is to reinstall Dante controller 3.5 - this will put the shiny new service back on the Mac and will not break DVS. Apologies for the inconvenience, but we have only just discovered this.

Alternatively if this doesn't resolve the issue- it would be classic behaviour of an anti-virus package or firewall package at work on your machine... The order I have chosen is deliberate (as most Mac users don't use antivirus software due to having a fairly secure operating system to start with...)

Hope this helps - if not, please let me know

Kieran
Senior Technical Solutions Manager, Audinate EMEA.

Ben Anderson

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 09:04:25 AM »

I have had this issue as well only on one of my machines, thanks for fix will give it a go.

Ben

Mark... I think this is an issue that we have just discovered- so have no problems sharing it.

You are using an Apple - Can you confirm that you installed Dante Virtual Soundcard, after installing Dante controller 3.5?

There is a small case of version issues here and it sounds exactly like one of the symptoms. Dante Virtual Soundcard for Mac uses an older version of one of our services than Dante controller expects. This means that a few things may "go missing" from Dante controller. The solution is to reinstall Dante controller 3.5 - this will put the shiny new service back on the Mac and will not break DVS. Apologies for the inconvenience, but we have only just discovered this.

Alternatively if this doesn't resolve the issue- it would be classic behaviour of an anti-virus package or firewall package at work on your machine... The order I have chosen is deliberate (as most Mac users don't use antivirus software due to having a fairly secure operating system to start with...)

Hope this helps - if not, please let me know

Kieran

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »

Thanks Kieran for sharing so quickly.

I'm fairly (but not 100%) certain that I only installed the new Dante Controller and kept my existing DVS since it had not been recently updated. 

Before I installed the lasted Dante Controller I was also having problems getting the info from my GLD Dante card (IP address, etc, everything was greed out).  After first installing the latest Dante Controller (from maybe 2 weeks ago) I though, aha, now I can see all this info that was greyed out before. Then, one or two days later, the same problem appeared, after it had been working OK, with no known changes to my system (either the GLD Dante card, GLD settings, or MAcBook Pro.

It worked in the shop. I packed and went to the gig, plugged everything together, and Dante Controller wasn't reporting any information.

Again, I don't think I updated DVS but I can't be certain. I cleaned out my downloads last weekend so I don't have a history any more.
I'm not running anti-virus software, and I haven't intentionally set up a firewall.

All of this is under OSX 10.9.2 on an ~ 5 year old MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo.

I'll try to hook up in the shop over the next wee and test things, and reinstall Dante Controller (after testing).

Disclaimer: I'm over 50 so I won't take any bets on my memory.

Mark McFarlane

Kieran Walsh

• Audinate
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 02:13:58 PM »

Disclaimer: I'm over 50 so I won't take any bets on my memory.

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. I have no problem discussing this publicly- hopefully people may see the troubleshooting process we go through to get this nailed down.

As for being over 50- the computer thing is supposed to do the remembering for us... if its not working right, we should fix it - I really don't want your expectation to be that it requires engaging in complex activity to resolve... OK right now it would seem that we have the worst kind of bug to track down... but lets break it down, and we'll find an answer.

This is a great opportunity for some nice pictures!

I'm really bad at posting pictures... but will give it a go... below is the network preferences on my dual core macbook pro

Kieran Walsh

• Audinate
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »

There is a (deliberate) mistake in this picture

The Wifi is connected to the same network as the Wired...

Dante controller 3.5 now helpfully paints the devices red and gives the message shown. (I am assuming this is not happening in your network)

Kieran Walsh

• Audinate
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »

I have now fixed that issue (by turning off the wifi) and now when I look at the device status on controller, I can see the IP address 192.168.1.48 is in the same logical subnet as my laptop which is 192.168.1.49. I am using a DHCP server to take care of addresses on this network- however you don't need to.

Kieran Walsh

• Audinate
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »

Now for some really tedious stuff about subnets (sorry).

the subnet mask being given out by my DHCP server is 255.255.255.0

This is what we call a 24 bit subnet mask.

An IP address is made up of 32 bits - the subnet mask tells the devices that it is counting in networks of 256 members this means that there are 24 bits worth of networks 16.7 million (give or take) networks, each with 256 members. This for our purposes means that the network "address" of the group of 254 devices (we need to use the first number as the address for the network, and the last as the broadcast address) is 192.168.1.0 so any device with an address 192.168.1.1 up to 192.168.1.254 is considered to be in that "subnet". Any device outside that range of addresses is "not in the same network"...

It is possible that you may not be able to see the network address in Dante controller - this is sometimes indicative of the device not being in the same logical network.

... how can this happen between the shop and the gig?

It is possible of course that either, or both the computer and the M-Dante card could have static IP addresses. It would only take this static IP address to be typo'd, or to be "right" in a certain DHCP served network and "wrong" in another... even a change in subnet mask can cause disasters

If you can get the IP address of the M-Dante card... that would help us to trouble-shoot this a lot. It doesn't matter what It is (hopefully you can find it) when I see the reply, we can start to look at this line of investigation.

thanks

Kieran

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 03:12:36 PM »

I have now fixed that issue (by turning off the wifi) and now when I look at the device status on controller, I can see the IP address 192.168.1.48 is in the same logical subnet as my laptop which is 192.168.1.49. I am using a DHCP server to take care of addresses on this network- however you don't need to.

I'll try to arrange some time to recreate my setup in the shop tomorrow or the day after.  I had a wifi setup at the concert but the MacBook running Dante Controller and DVS *should* have had Wifi disabled and the WAP should have been unplugged before the show started and recording was enabled. 

Since my first GLD gig last month I've only used WIFI pre-show for monitor setup and then unplug the WAP before the crowd arrives. I had a weird thing happen to the GLD in my first show (lost 3 separate monitor sends mid-song) and decided to eliminate networking and the USB stick as potential sources.

However, a conflicting WIFI and wired network may have been my problem, and is easy enough to test in the shop.  'Typically' and 'usually' aren't very reproducible for debugging software.

The GLD console and Dante Card and the use of Dante are very new to me, I've only done four shows with the GLD and only tried Dante once,so it's likely I still have some configuration and workflow issues.

Regarding IP addresses, the MacBook and Dante option card were direct-wired in the shop with static IP addresses and nothing to serve DHCP, no network.  I wired it up the same way at the gig. 1-to-1 pont-to-point.

I appreciate the help, Kieran.
Mark McFarlane

Kieran Walsh

• Audinate
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »

'Typically' and 'usually' aren't very reproducible for debugging software.

Its like my favourite joke of today - Software engineers partner says- "run to the shops and get a loaf of bread... if they have eggs get a dozen" Software engineer returns home with 12 loaves of bread!

Unfortunately "Typically" and "Usually" are "real life" and could be - to the chagrin of my software engineering colleagues more accurately defined as "actually."

My lack of enthusiasm for static IP addresses is fairly well known... however there are sometimes reasons to do it - without knowing the wider setup its impossible to guess... it might be worth just leaving everything in DHCP- which would mean it would fall back to APIPA. From there any discovery issue might be easier to isolate... not sure if that is practical...   

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 07:07:44 PM »

Unfortunately, I can't verify exactly what my configuration was because Thursday night Dante Controller would not tell me who the master was (Master Unknown). Dante Controller wouldn't tell me IP addresses, or any information on any devices other than they were 'green'.  Routing was about the only thing that worked in Dante Controller.  I rebooted console and computer,... still Dante Controller (laster version 3.5.0.36) didn't work as expected.

I've had this problem before, too. It is as if Dante Controller has just gone stupid. Please don't get me wrong, Dante Controller is CONSIDERABLY better than it was a few years ago, but it just seems like every now and then it gets something stuck in its craw and will not get all the relevant information from the Dante card.

Since I'm usually not under the same sort of time crunch that happens when you are at a gig, I just close Dante Controller and shut off the Dante devices on my network. Then, sometime later, I'll open Dante Controller and start powering on devices one at a time. Usually everything will come up correctly and show all the options.

This is using Windows Vista Professional 32-Bit on a Dell Latitude D830.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 07:07:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.