ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting the most out of Danley TH 115s???  (Read 10671 times)

Gene Flynn

Re: Getting the most out of Danley TH 115s???
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »

So that you can drive both channels with a single input.

That is the case with a lot of amps-but there those that have a switch or setting to take a single input (usually A or 1) and drive both channels.
Technically speaking is one more beneficial then the other (stereo vs Y), or do you go by which one sounds better?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 08:21:46 PM »

Thanks for the clarification.

A question can you "sum" the 2 inputs and then Y them to both outputs?

That is inherently the way it works.  In SUM mode, the signals from both inputs are mixed to a common, mono signal and sent to both amp channels.  The loudspeaker processing for each channel is independently available.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 08:37:14 PM »

Technically speaking is one more beneficial then the other (stereo vs Y), or do you go by which one sounds better?
If you have true stereo bass, then stereo would be better.

A Y is a single signal.

It depends on how you define "Stereo" and "Y".  Stereo would be like the left kick in the left channel and the right kick in the right channel.

A mono system would be both kicks in both channels.

All a Y does is allow you to drive multiple channels with a single signal.

Of course you could use both.  Lets say you have 2 channels for the left subs and 2 for the right subs.

You would Y each of the right and left amplifiers to drive the subs on each side-and then drive each of the "Ys" with the right and left signals.

It is not a matter of "better", but better for a particular situation/application.

Different gear will require different approaches/cabling.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 11:31:47 AM »

As said above, typically a mono send to subs is fine-unless of course there is a stereo bass input (which isn't super common unless maybe the bassist has a stereo delay pedal?).

The benefit of running the amps in Y mode would be to run a single mono send off your board to the first amp set in Y and then run a jumper from the channel 1 xlr out to your second amp which would also be set in Y mode. 

You can then run the nl4 outs to your subs in a couple different ways depending on what is most convenient for you. You could run a single cable from each output to each sub. Or if at least two of your subs will be set up near each other you could use a nl4 cable out of channel 1 out of the amp and run that to sub 1 and then make a jumper cable that pulls pin two off the nl4 of sub 1 and makes it pin 1 on the other end of the cable that would be plugged into sub 2. The xti amps can run both channels on a single nl4 using all +/- of the 2 channel capable cable. Make sense?

That way you only need to run a single nl4 for each pair of subs. No custom jumper would be necessary if the TH115 has a switch to take either input 1 or 2 off the nl4 but I don't know that it has this capability.

I hope that was clear enough. Let me know if I need to further explain myself 

Gene Flynn

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 05:14:59 PM »

As said above, typically a mono send to subs is fine-unless of course there is a stereo bass input (which isn't super common unless maybe the bassist has a stereo delay pedal?).

The benefit of running the amps in Y mode would be to run a single mono send off your board to the first amp set in Y and then run a jumper from the channel 1 xlr out to your second amp which would also be set in Y mode. 

You can then run the nl4 outs to your subs in a couple different ways depending on what is most convenient for you. You could run a single cable from each output to each sub. Or if at least two of your subs will be set up near each other you could use a nl4 cable out of channel 1 out of the amp and run that to sub 1 and then make a jumper cable that pulls pin two off the nl4 of sub 1 and makes it pin 1 on the other end of the cable that would be plugged into sub 2. The xti amps can run both channels on a single nl4 using all +/- of the 2 channel capable cable. Make sense?

That way you only need to run a single nl4 for each pair of subs. No custom jumper would be necessary if the TH115 has a switch to take either input 1 or 2 off the nl4 but I don't know that it has this capability.

I hope that was clear enough. Let me know if I need to further explain myself
Pretty sure i got it up to the single cable to sub deal..  The Danleys dont have a switch, but do have an out.  And i do have 2 together on each side (soon to be 3 together on each side) so i could run one cable from amp to 2 subs with the nl4 connecting the 2.  But wouldn't that drop the impedance??  They are 4o, so then wouldn't that make it a 2o load?

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 07:50:16 PM »

Pretty sure i got it up to the single cable to sub deal..  The Danleys dont have a switch, but do have an out.  And i do have 2 together on each side (soon to be 3 together on each side) so i could run one cable from amp to 2 subs with the nl4 connecting the 2.  But wouldn't that drop the impedance??  They are 4o, so then wouldn't that make it a 2o load?

A true nl4 has four wires inside. There are plenty of companies that sell them with just two conductors so you will want to check and verify that yours are indeed four conductor wire. Because the nl4 connector is a four conductor connector it means that the pin out is 1 +/- and 2+/- which equals a total of four connections. The xti amp is set up to be able to send the output from channel one on pin 1 +/- and the output from channel two on pin 2+/- with a single nl4 plugged into channel 1. It's two be four conductor wire to do this. Otherwise yes it will drop the impedance.

So the way you would then wire this would be to have the nl4 run from the output of channel one on the amp and into the first sub. This would connect the first sub to the amp via pin 1+/-.  You will then need to create a cable (or you may already have some nl2 to make this) with two conductor cable. When I say nl2 I am referring to the same nl4 plug but instead of there being four wire connections to the plug end there are only two. In order to not drop the impedance on sub two and provide it with the channel two power from the amp we will need to convert pin 2 to be pin 1 where it connects to the second sub.

Take the nl2 cable and connect the hot and negative to the 2+/- on one end up leave the other end connected to the 1+/-. You will them connect the end with the pin 2 connection into the thru on sub 1. This will take the passed through signal of channel 2 from the amp out of sub 1 and then send it into sub two. You will want to label which end has the pin 2+/- on it so you don't forget.

Hope that made more sense. If you are going to be getting two more then you may want to just wire it for an nl8 and a breakout box.

What tops are you using and what amps?

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »

Pretty sure i got it up to the single cable to sub deal..  The Danleys dont have a switch, but do have an out.

Here is a quick diagram I drew up that hopefully provides more clarity to what I am trying to explain.

Gene Flynn

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »

A true nl4 has four wires inside. There are plenty of companies that sell them with just two conductors so you will want to check and verify that yours are indeed four conductor wire. Because the nl4 connector is a four conductor connector it means that the pin out is 1 +/- and 2+/- which equals a total of four connections. The xti amp is set up to be able to send the output from channel one on pin 1 +/- and the output from channel two on pin 2+/- with a single nl4 plugged into channel 1. It's two be four conductor wire to do this. Otherwise yes it will drop the impedance.

So the way you would then wire this would be to have the nl4 run from the output of channel one on the amp and into the first sub. This would connect the first sub to the amp via pin 1+/-.  You will then need to create a cable (or you may already have some nl2 to make this) with two conductor cable. When I say nl2 I am referring to the same nl4 plug but instead of there being four wire connections to the plug end there are only two. In order to not drop the impedance on sub two and provide it with the channel two power from the amp we will need to convert pin 2 to be pin 1 where it connects to the second sub.

Take the nl2 cable and connect the hot and negative to the 2+/- on one end up leave the other end connected to the 1+/-. You will them connect the end with the pin 2 connection into the thru on sub 1. This will take the passed through signal of channel 2 from the amp out of sub 1 and then send it into sub two. You will want to label which end has the pin 2+/- on it so you don't forget.

Hope that made more sense. If you are going to be getting two more then you may want to just wire it for an nl8 and a breakout box.

What tops are you using and what amps?
Andrew thanks for the explanation, I understand it clearly..  But now I will have 3 per side and need an explanation on the nl8 and breakout box?  I have 3 XTI 6002 to use.  I just got the 3rd for the other 2 Danleys?!
I am using 2 pair of Klipsch LaScalas for tops run bridged mono with 2 Cerwin vega Cv 2800 (I have had these amps for a long time and they are work horses)  Also 2 Crown XTI 2000 for 2 pair of Crites midhorn boxes and 1 for a pair of Crites tweet boxes.  This is obvioulsy an installed system..  For my private Gym- yup overkill and I love it..  Im a drummer- hence the bottom end!!    8)   

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 10:58:07 PM »

But now I will have 3 per side and need an explanation on the nl8 and breakout box?  I have 3 XTI 6002 to use.  I just got the 3rd for the other 2 Danleys?!

Here is the diagram for NL8 wiring. You could wire the amps to NL8 plugs on the back of the amp rack and then run an NL8 cable to a breakout box that would go to 3 or 4 NL4 plugs wired with only two conductors to each plug. Then run an NL4 or NL2 cable to each sub from each corresponding plug on the breakout box. Duplicate the box and setup for the other side.

Pin 4 +/- on the NL8 could be wired for a possible 4th sub a side if you plan to ever expand that much or you could just wire pins 1-3 and call it a day.

Since this is an install though you might want to just go the NL4 route and run the extra cable if you don't want to have to do all the NL8 conversions. If you ran two 4 conductor NL4 cables to each side and went with the previous diagram idea then you could just add another amp and make another jumper if you ever wanted to get a 4th pair of subs.

Gene Flynn

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 06:05:28 AM »

Since this is an install though you might want to just go the NL4 route and run the extra cable if you don't want to have to do all the NL8 conversions. If you ran two 4 conductor NL4 cables to each side and went with the previous diagram idea then you could just add another amp and make another jumper if you ever wanted to get a 4th pair of subs.
[/quote]
Wow, thats intense, but I get it..  Thanks so much for the detailed drawing!!!  I think I will stay with the first plan and just use the other amp for the 3rd one coming.....  And yes I will most likely add another pair in the future- ha ha...
Thanks again.. 
Just one question;
Will this affect the power from amp going into the subs from using the jumper??  Will it decrease the power is what im asking..  Thanks 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 06:05:28 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.