ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cash-strapped nightclub/music venue fix-up  (Read 12880 times)

Mike Sullivan

Re: Cash-strapped nightclub/music venue fix-up
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 03:18:19 PM »

Visions of Jon Taffer walking in that club for a new Bar Rescue episode come to mind!

Believe me, I would LOVE to see it happen, just to see the one owner and Taffer butt heads. Censorship editor will be making millions. It's such a pity, they have a good idea and an excellent venue, it's an absolute goldmine, but it does sound like they don't want to pay for anything other than alcohol.

Lets put it this way, if I get the chance, I'd buy the bar and prioritize the right way.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:20:29 PM by Mike Sullivan »
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »

Believe me, I would LOVE to see it happen, just to see the one owner and Taffer butt heads. Censorship editor will be making millions. It's such a pity, they have a good idea and an excellent venue, it's an absolute goldmine, but it does sound like they don't want to pay for anything other than alcohol.

Lets put it this way, if I get the chance, I'd buy the bar and prioritize the right way.

You might do a google search, site limited to prosoundweb.com, for "Tom Reid" and "new club".  Tom started from scratch and made it for a few months until he found out what a lying sack of shit his landlord was, and how some of his staff played fast and loose with the liquor.  Ultimately it was his landlord's refusal to make building modifications to comply with life safety codes that led Tom to simply close the doors and walk away, 6 figures down.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 08:49:15 PM »

You might do a google search, site limited to prosoundweb.com, for "Tom Reid" and "new club".  Tom started from scratch and made it for a few months until he found out what a lying sack of shit his landlord was, and how some of his staff played fast and loose with the liquor.  Ultimately it was his landlord's refusal to make building modifications to comply with life safety codes that led Tom to simply close the doors and walk away, 6 figures down.

The current actual building owners used to operate the bar when it was a hot spot but got out of it and began leasing it so they could take care of other matters. But the last few "operators" haven't done a great job from what I have heard. I would hate to try and fix up a junk bar...this bar is in great shape, just needs more or less "modernization" and a few minor repairs. The bar is a goldmine, just needs someone with some actual business sense.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »

The current actual building owners used to operate the bar when it was a hot spot but got out of it and began leasing it so they could take care of other matters. But the last few "operators" haven't done a great job from what I have heard. I would hate to try and fix up a junk bar...this bar is in great shape, just needs more or less "modernization" and a few minor repairs. The bar is a goldmine, just needs someone with some actual business sense.

I've worked in the nightclub industry for 12 years, and am a minority owner in a sports bar.  Maybe their 'actual business sense' is telling them 'if it ain't broke…don't fix it'.  Yes, the sound system may be 'broke' but it seems like they ARE trying to fix it, just really cheaply.  But if the place is grossing 10k a week as you've implied by their liquor order, why should they spend 20k or more to upgrade the sound system?  Do you think they'll see an increase in sales by upgrading the system?  Or will they continue to sell the same amount of booze to the same people?  Will those people even notice the improvements?  Are the customers complaining about the sound?  I'm all for spending money on the sound system, after all I'm a systems contractor, but sometimes you have to look at things from the owner's perspective.

A very close friend of mine owns one of the busiest bars in my city.  It's absolutely packed every Friday and Saturday, and also has a good crowd during the week.  I've seen his numbers, they do about $30-40k a week.  His break-even point is $3k/week.  He could install a Martin Audio or Danley system if he really wanted.  But guess what he has…JBL JRX.  And it sounds like garbage to me, but his customers don't care.  They go there to drink, to dance, and to get laid.  The music is loud, they can understand the words, and they can somewhat feel the bass.  He is well over capacity every week, and literally could not sell any more booze than he currently does because he can't fit any more people through the door.  It would make zero 'business sense' for him to upgrade. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 04:27:48 PM »

But guess what he has…JBL JRX.  And it sounds like garbage to me, but his customers don't care.  They go there to drink, to dance, and to get laid.  The music is loud, they can understand the words, and they can somewhat feel the bass. 

Reminds me of that old country music hit:

"Dim Wits, Thick Heads and Loud, Loud Noises"
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »

I've worked in the nightclub industry for 12 years, and am a minority owner in a sports bar.  Maybe their 'actual business sense' is telling them 'if it ain't broke…don't fix it'.
Until it breaks, then it's an emergency on their part and they expect everybody else to drop everything to take care of them.  Not to mention they'll want to do the cheapest fix possible, just setting things up to break again.  And the cycle goes on and on and on...

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 11:12:26 AM »

Simple.

Get paid UP FRONT to:
  1) Fix the JBL's, and a minimum of 1 booth monitor and amp them properly
  2) lose everything else
  3) Invest in 1 main system DSP with limiters and set it tight (assume running at full limit all night so set accordingly so that speakers don't thermal)
  4) walk away (and if done right you won't have to go back until the NEXT owners want an upgrade :-)

As the title says, it's the usual cash-strapped nightclub/music venue, with a half working sound system.  Here's what they have at the moment...

2 JBL SR4733x (working)
2 JBL SR4719x (seized up)
4 Sound Bridge SB3 3115HT loudspeakers hung over the dancefloor (one working, rest dead)
2 EAW monitors hung over the stage (fried)
Misc. Crest 10" loudspeakers hung around the rest of the bar
Misc. Crown/QSC amplifiers (will be finding more as system needs)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 07:01:32 PM »

Why would they spend money on sound gear when you bring working stuff in?
What is in it for them?

You seem to be the one who wants to fix the sound system. What is your interest in it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 07:20:28 PM »

I've worked in the nightclub industry for 12 years, and am a minority owner in a sports bar.  Maybe their 'actual business sense' is telling them 'if it ain't broke…don't fix it'.  Yes, the sound system may be 'broke' but it seems like they ARE trying to fix it, just really cheaply.  But if the place is grossing 10k a week as you've implied by their liquor order, why should they spend 20k or more to upgrade the sound system?  Do you think they'll see an increase in sales by upgrading the system?  Or will they continue to sell the same amount of booze to the same people?  Will those people even notice the improvements?  Are the customers complaining about the sound?  I'm all for spending money on the sound system, after all I'm a systems contractor, but sometimes you have to look at things from the owner's perspective.

A very close friend of mine owns one of the busiest bars in my city.  It's absolutely packed every Friday and Saturday, and also has a good crowd during the week.  I've seen his numbers, they do about $30-40k a week.  His break-even point is $3k/week.  He could install a Martin Audio or Danley system if he really wanted.  But guess what he has…JBL JRX.  And it sounds like garbage to me, but his customers don't care.  They go there to drink, to dance, and to get laid.  The music is loud, they can understand the words, and they can somewhat feel the bass.  He is well over capacity every week, and literally could not sell any more booze than he currently does because he can't fit any more people through the door.  It would make zero 'business sense' for him to upgrade.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

T H I S
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

John Lackner

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »

This is how many club owners look at this - if people come and buy drinks while the system is half broke, why bother fixing it? Until another club opens up with a decent sound system and all the customers split.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.