ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cash-strapped nightclub/music venue fix-up  (Read 12869 times)

Mike Sullivan

Cash-strapped nightclub/music venue fix-up
« on: March 01, 2014, 11:45:47 PM »

As the title says, it's the usual cash-strapped nightclub/music venue, with a half working sound system.  Here's what they have at the moment...

2 JBL SR4733x (working)
2 JBL SR4719x (seized up)
4 Sound Bridge SB3 3115HT loudspeakers hung over the dancefloor (one working, rest dead)
2 EAW monitors hung over the stage (fried)
Misc. Crest 10" loudspeakers hung around the rest of the bar
Misc. Crown/QSC amplifiers (will be finding more as system needs)

What I would like to do is get the SR4719's reconed (all original drivers), there are enough amplifiers here to set the system up properly (all QSC EX/MX amps) to use for regular shows (there will be the occasional band in here), replace the drivers in the 3115HT's to set them up for dance music, and build 8 subs to supplement them (mostly hip hop/Top 40), with 4 ground stacked on each side of the stage.

So the main questions are...
1. What would you recommend to replace the components in the 3115HT's?  (15" woofer and 1" exit HF), the cabinets are passive only, no bi-amp option, but I wouldn't mind replacing the crossovers and wiring them for bi-amp if that would help.

2. Has anyone tried building subs like the X1 subwoofer from Speakerplans?  I would like to do 4 on each side in a 2x2 set up, maybe eventually do 6 a side if the need arises.

3. I'm not sure of the exact model of the stage monitors, but I know they are EAW wedges, but I can't find a model #, would be nice to have them working though.  Any ideas?  (Pictures below may be able to tell some clues)

Here are some pictures of the club...sorry for the poor pictures, not sure why.  Dance floor is about 40ft each way.  And yes, that is my QSC system being used for the dance floor temporarily.  Tried to convince them to buy it and hang the 153's but no luck.

When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Cash-strapped nightclub/music venue fix-up
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:23:35 AM »

As the title says, it's the usual cash-strapped nightclub/music venue, with a half working sound system.  Here's what they have at the moment...

2 JBL SR4733x (working)
2 JBL SR4719x (seized up)
4 Sound Bridge SB3 3115HT loudspeakers hung over the dancefloor (one working, rest dead)
2 EAW monitors hung over the stage (fried)
Misc. Crest 10" loudspeakers hung around the rest of the bar
Misc. Crown/QSC amplifiers (will be finding more as system needs)
Not direct to your questions, but how do they use all the speakers?  Are the JBLs used just for bands, etc. and the Sound Bridge just for DJs or are all of them used at the same time?  Are Crest used as fill for the live system(s), for background music or for more than one purpose?  If they don't have the money to fix or replace everything then maybe they could possibly consider simplifying the systems.

Since you seem to be trying to rebuild all the other speakers that are currently not working properly, why build new subs rather than repairing the SR4719X?  I believe those used 2241HPL drivers and you can probably find recone kits or used 2241HPL drivers.  You could also use new or used 2241H drivers as a direct replacement.

Have you tried contacting Sound Bridge to see what they recommend or offer for the 3115HTs?  FWIW, the 3115HT apparently have a 10 year warranty so you might want to see if they are still under warranty.

I should also say that while they are fine for personal use, due to their having no warranty, no documentation, no support other than the installer, etc., I am not a fan of DIY products for installs.  But if the Owner is willing to accept those conditions in exchange for any potential savings then that is their choice.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:45:16 AM by Brad Weber »

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »

As Brad said, need more info. I have no issue with DIY stuff in the right circumstances (it has been a major part of my business) if you have the proper tools and experience, but I'm not certain why you would need more subs than the SR 4719's.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 05:28:10 PM »

Stepping aside from the system design aspects I will ask a couple of business questions:

Why are they cash-strapped?

How long have the people you are working for owned the business, and have they been in the nightclub business before?  What outcomes did they have?

Should you have your own inventory in the building when the landlord or state revenue department come to seize the property, what recourse is available to you?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »

Why are they cash-strapped?

New owners, and they don't want to dish out any cash for the system, unfortunately...

How long have the people you are working for owned the business, and have they been in the nightclub business before?  What outcomes did they have?

About 6 months now, and to be honest I'm not sure but from what I've seen I doubt it...

Should you have your own inventory in the building when the landlord or state revenue department come to seize the property, what recourse is available to you?

My stuff isn't staying in there throughout the week, I pull it out at the end of the night.  However they aren't in that danger of losing the club, they are making money, but don't want to pay anything for the system to be fixed..

In other news, have some quotes back on recones for the 2241H's, and received a (very prompt) email back from Sound Bridge for components for the dance floor speakers.  Going to get them to do that first then worry about extra stuff.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:50:13 PM »

they are making money, but don't want to pay anything for the system to be fixed..[/b]

And just how long do they expect to stay in business with a bad sound system?

I bet if the beer cooler broke-it would be fixed right away.

It is simply a matter of priorities and what they fell is important.

Many club owners feel that if the system is making some kind of noise-it is fine.

But the better clubs realize that people want good sound-in most cases.  In others it really doesn't matter.  It just depends on what the club wants to do and the type of people they want to have in there.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:55:25 AM »

And just how long do they expect to stay in business with a bad sound system?

I bet if the beer cooler broke-it would be fixed right away.

It is simply a matter of priorities and what they fell is important.

Many club owners feel that if the system is making some kind of noise-it is fine.

But the better clubs realize that people want good sound-in most cases.  In others it really doesn't matter.  It just depends on what the club wants to do and the type of people they want to have in there.

Half the crap at the bar doesn't work.  No centralized POS system, they have to go to the next bar over to process credit card payments, etc.  I'm trying to tell them to fix the system, sent them the prices for replacements, but I highly doubt they will...they can spend nearly $3000 a night for liquor, but not save about $100-$200 a week to fix the system...or the lights...but hey, it's not my bar.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 12:11:43 PM »

Half the crap at the bar doesn't work.  No centralized POS system, they have to go to the next bar over to process credit card payments, etc.  I'm trying to tell them to fix the system, sent them the prices for replacements, but I highly doubt they will...they can spend nearly $3000 a night for liquor, but not save about $100-$200 a week to fix the system...or the lights...but hey, it's not my bar.

Liquor is "on sale inventory".  But if they're actually selling 95% of that, they should have enough cash flow to fix stuff.  It sounds like there is a lot of inventory 'leakage'.

$3k in inventory cost should translate into sales of around $9k-$12k.  My guess is there is significant overpouring or lots of free drinks.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 12:38:02 PM »

Liquor is "on sale inventory".  But if they're actually selling 95% of that, they should have enough cash flow to fix stuff.  It sounds like there is a lot of inventory 'leakage'.

$3k in inventory cost should translate into sales of around $9k-$12k.  My guess is there is significant overpouring or lots of free drinks.
Visions of Jon Taffer walking in that club for a new Bar Rescue episode come to mind!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »

Having worked in a club before as a consultant... definitely this. This. And depending on your market, $3K could even be $15K or more. I can personally pour a Vodka RedBull for about $1.25 to $1.50. And in Seattle, they sell for $7-$9.50, depending on where you go. Then there's my Long Island (love my LI.), same deal...

But oh well, such is life. As was stated, some people have interesting priorities in their business.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 23 queries.