ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mandatory tipping of a bus driver.  (Read 15182 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Mandatory tipping of a bus driver.
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 02:54:00 AM »

And here (UK).

Steve.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 07:58:54 AM »

Something else I don't understand about the US. I see mention of waiters getting below minimum wage and being dependent on tips to survive. Surely a minimum is a minimum and anyone paying below that would be subject to legal sanction - It certainly works that way over here.
M
Here in "La Belle Provance", there are 2 minimum wages.
Earners with tips, and earners without tips.
I am not sure about the Feds, but "our" Provincial government even has the balls to declare that "Since you get tips, we presume you make xx.x % more than you declare on your tax form, so we'll just adjust your income accordingly"
Nice, huh.
That means that your average waiter now EXPECTS a certain level of tip, just so he can pay his/her tax bill.
The way I figure it, as long as the gov. has it's hand in you pocket, just add it in as a billable service charge, and abolish tips altogether. Much more fair all around.
Like hell I want the overlords to be (in effect) telling me what extra I should be paying for a night out with the wife......
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 09:39:32 AM »

Here in "La Belle Provance", there are 2 minimum wages.
Earners with tips, and earners without tips.
I am not sure about the Feds, but "our" Provincial government even has the balls to declare that "Since you get tips, we presume you make xx.x % more than you declare on your tax form, so we'll just adjust your income accordingly"
Nice, huh.
That means that your average waiter now EXPECTS a certain level of tip, just so he can pay his/her tax bill.
The way I figure it, as long as the gov. has it's hand in you pocket, just add it in as a billable service charge, and abolish tips altogether. Much more fair all around.
Like hell I want the overlords to be (in effect) telling me what extra I should be paying for a night out with the wife......
I suspect the government's taxation math is precisely because wait staff traditionally under reported (cash) tip income, or there would have been open revolution when they first passed that law.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »

Something else I don't understand about the US. I see mention of waiters getting below minimum wage and being dependent on tips to survive. Surely a minimum is a minimum and anyone paying below that would be subject to legal sanction - It certainly works that way over here.
M
Nope.  Somehow the minimum does not apply to servers - ridiculous - but it has been that way for as long as I can remember.  Restaurants can't just pay them what they want; the servers are on a different minimum wage scale.  Our county just voted to up the minimum wage, but carved out sweetheart exemptions for a major amusement park on the premise that this is primarily summer work for teens, and they don't need that money to live.

frank

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »

....but carved out sweetheart exemptions for a major amusement park on the premise that this is primarily summer work for teens, and they don't need that money to live.
Just because Senator Yahoo's kid gets his tuition paid by daddy, doesn't mean that other kids aren't out busting a hump to raise funds for schooling...
just sayin....
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 12:23:50 PM »

Nope.  Somehow the minimum does not apply to servers - ridiculous - but it has been that way for as long as I can remember.  Restaurants can't just pay them what they want; the servers are on a different minimum wage scale.  Our county just voted to up the minimum wage, but carved out sweetheart exemptions for a major amusement park on the premise that this is primarily summer work for teens, and they don't need that money to live.

frank

I have wrestled with the philosophical debate surrounding whether an employee should be paid according to his needs or according to how much value he/her creates. In my judgment it should be the latter, but there are entire political systems based on the former.

YMMV

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Al Rettich

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2014, 06:35:52 PM »

This conversation took a very different turn from my original post.
I have wrestled with the philosophical debate surrounding whether an employee should be paid according to his needs or according to how much value he/her creates. In my judgment it should be the latter, but there are entire political systems based on the former.

YMMV

JR

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2014, 10:30:55 PM »

It's udderly necessary.

Just gonna milk that one for all it's worth?... ;D

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2014, 11:07:55 PM »

M

In the USA, federal labor law allows the states to enact laws that let certain employers pay a sub-minimum wage to workers who "customarily" receive tip income. Federal law requires that the worker earn at least the minimum wage on an hourly basis; the employer is supposed to make up any shortfall. A majority of the 50 "united" states have state laws that allow for the payment of a sub-minimum wage; at least five that I know of require the payment of the stautory minimum, irrespective of whether or not the worker receives tips from customers. 

I have no cow puns to add, but IMHO, paying a sub-minimum wage is fecal matter from a male bovine.

Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »

In the USA, federal labor law allows the states to enact laws that let certain employers pay a sub-minimum wage to workers who "customarily" receive tip income. Federal law requires that the worker earn at least the minimum wage on an hourly basis; the employer is supposed to make up any shortfall. A majority of the 50 "united" states have state laws that allow for the payment of a sub-minimum wage; at least five that I know of require the payment of the stautory minimum, irrespective of whether or not the worker receives tips from customers. 

I have no cow puns to add, but IMHO, paying a sub-minimum wage is fecal matter from a male bovine.

Mark C.

Federal law (Fair Labor Standards Act of 1934) allows this.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/03/09/us/the-boys-in-the-bunkhouse.html?hp&_r=0
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.